What did you study in high school/college?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In highschool, it was Art. Realized my senior year that I wasn't good enough to make it in that field. Took up Computer Science in college because programming was, for me at least, a different form of creative expression. It's weird, though. Virtually every programmer I've met or worked with is a tinkerer, as opposed to an artist.

That's actually what brought me into this community. I was switching jobs from one that didn't require much Javascript to one that was pretty much all Javascript. Found out that RPG Maker was still around and had switched languages. Figured it be a good way to bone up my skills and get creative in the process. Hopefully, I'll be ready to release my RPGM magnum opus in the coming months.

StardustPiggly

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My high school didn't have any special interests kind of programs, I studied a little bit of biology in college but moved to a foreign country and have a lot of paperwork to go through to get accepted into the same program here. At least I'll have a head start on knowing the material. Gotta find that silver lining :)

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Industrial Engineering (as the classes were called), for building cranes and other structures for ships and oil rigs. After finishing my education I got an apprenticeship, which lasted a week. Then the oil industry crashed in Norway and thousands of people got dropped. Never got to work with it again, so rip high school :(

Afterwards I studied Movie Production and Game Design. I didn't have the confidence at the time for realizing my ideas (movies), and everyone was mocking me and my projects at game design, but regardless of the situation, I finished my degrees.

Today I work in electronics retail with computing and gaming, and I love my job and the people I work with :D

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A.A. in psychology

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm studying for my Bachelor of Game Design. Been learning to branch out a bit from RM. So far, I've used Unity, Ren'Py, Twine, Roblox, and Tabletop Simulator.

HankB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In highschool I studied slacking off and hanging out. I was really good at it.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After highschool i entered comouter science but didnt finish thanks to bad policies, long story short they mixed the first three years of building engineering and computer science students, our electric physics professor asked us to present a project with plans for a building and whatnot (logic!), most computer science students couldnt pass since we didnt know crap about making plans and i got fed of it.
Went for certifications in microsoft and cisco, attained microsoft solutions expert, mc database admin and cisco ccna, after that i went for networking engineering and after getting that i went for networking security certifications and white hack hacker cert, thats the main quest anyways.

For sidequests i completed 3 years in culinary school (for personal use), was an art teacher(anime/manga style courses) in a graphics design institute, studied english and was a teacher in the same institute after clearing it.

Not to mention all the small courses and certifications, mostly networking and programming C++, need to javascript someday :kaocry:

After all that i ended up doing art comissions as my only job thanks to pandemic shenanigans, c'est la vie :kaoslp:

And yes, organizing my curriculum is a nightmare :kaoswt:

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Computer systems technology. Basically a little of everything computer-related: programming, hardware, software, networking, operating systems, maintenance, repair, technical writing... accounting?

ElCheffe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I studied computer science and business administration. After this i developed for a few years, became senior consultant, project manager und nowadays i'm a supervisor within the IT of an automotive company.

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have an A.A in psychology

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nothing good in my hi-school life,i have to dropout since mid semester of 11th grade (january 2016 as i remember) by myself.

as i remember,i learn something about computer related,like web developing,pc building,operating system,computer system,internet system & more. other than that,like math,language & history aren't my interest.

the reason why i take this decision (dropout) because:
  • i concerned about my fam's money. we was running the small coffee shop until 2018 (got moved out from that place since last 2018)
  • classmate really sucks (especially the females,because my class are many of females),always noisy & doesn't pay attention of their teaching
  • i really don't care of their friendship (i like being alone in my class rather than hangout with them. what a point to hangout with them?)

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I studied a variety of subjects in high-school (advanced mathematics, physics, languages + a few courses on philosophy and psychology), but I went on to study French Translation Studies at the university (with English Translation Studies and Comparative Literature as my minor subjects). While it took me a long time to graduate (nine years rather than the optimal five), I got a fairly good grade for my thesis and am nowadays proudly a Master of Arts.

VCraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Other
Jurisprudence, University of law. Got diploma. Nevertheless, started a new chapter in life as a Software Engineer, since I had knowledge and skills to become one and I had no interest to become a lawyer (something that other people wanted me to be).
Meanwhile I kept learning fine arts and design simply because I enjoyed it to learn. So after 4 years of working as an Engineer I started a new chapter in life and switched my job to become freelance concept artist and illustrator :smile:
It's never too late to live and enjoy your life as you want it to live.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
College Dropout. 3 years in a row =) Well, i technically finished 1 year somehow... Which is weird considering how little time i spent in class ^^

DrWho42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
creative writing

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Business Administration. I just stopped because I felt it wasn't netting me a good profit or potential return on investment. Maybe it was just the school!

SMcNeill

Dark Dreamer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I studied the girls, first and foremost, back in high school and college. Secondary, I pursued an education in computer programming and creative writing. I'd always dreamed of either being a writer, or being a computer programmer...

Not long after I got out of college, I had a job offer to go to work for a tech company based out of Florida. The job was right at the beach, and the starting pay would've been up around $200K a year...

Instead, I took a job as a janitor making about $12K a year, and supplementing it with a part time job delivering newspapers that earned about the same. I was raised a child of the mountains, and the flat lands and ocean view weren't something which I could stand. Instead, I opted for a job with *no* pressure, *no* boss looming over my shoulders, and *no* unreasonable deadlines or expectations.

Staying at home, me and my wife happily lived a low-wage lifestyle, and had one daughter who grew up beautiful. After 25 years of marriage, my wife passed away last year from kidney failure, and now it's just me and my doggy living in our home. (Curse you Covid-19! You may not have killed my wife, but I couldn't even be by her side as she passed because the hospital was in lockdown due to you!!)

Looking back over my life, if there's one lesson which I'd like to convey to the rest of the world, and particularly the younger generation, it's this on: BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY!!

All my life, *everyone* always told me not to bother with writing. "It's impossible to get anything published," they'd say. "Where would you even start," they'd ask? "Do you know how many people dream of getting published," they'd taunt. It was always negative pressure which ended up making the task seem impossible.

Well, about ten years ago, I hurt my back and ended up on Disability. At first, I was in so much pain, for the first few years, all I could do is just sit and try not to suffer. Over time, either my pain tolerance increased, or my nervous system withered up and died, but either way, eventually my pain lessoned and I was stuck with a lot of free time on my hands, just twiddling my thumbs.

To pass that free time, I sat down and quietly wrote one of the stories that had haunted my dreams ever since my childhood. Without telling anyone, except my wife, I put it up on Amazon for sale as an e-book and self-published it...
And the first month I did so, it jumped up into the top 100 charts and I got a royalty check for several thousand dollars!! /FAINT!!

So, for all those haters who claim I can't write; and for all those who don't like my works; HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! They can all piss off. At the end of the day, I'm laughing all the way to the bank, as they still sit around and talk about how much I suck and how they can do so much better... (And, they probably could, except they're too busy *****ing at what I've *did*, to ever actually sit down and *do* anything themselves.)

So my life lesson, that I finally learned, is just: Do what you like to do, and what pleases you. There's *somebody*, *somewhere*, out there who'll appreciate your work and who will end up buying it and supporting it, if you'll just be brave enough to stick with it and share it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Checking out the Judge's Round Table. Really cool getting their perspective in a Q/A environment like this.
I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow! Dad said he's going to take me to my favorite arcade and maybe Aquatica.
animated message windows <3
or message window that uses background images that can be animated?
Still need to fix some things, but it's going great so far :)
CEPjLJn.gif
just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zabasin