What do people do with their RPG Maker software?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker MV itself has told over 500,000 copies. If you include all the RMs and the pirated ones, maybe a million or more people have used these? If so, what do people do with these RMs? I don't see a lot of high quality RM games, and even my full game, Dark Assault that is commercial and all, is better than all those free, low-quality itch.io RM games. If so, what happens to those purchased copies?
My game is out on the Google Play Store (as Android build), itch.io (both Windows and Android) and on the Aldorlea Games (Windows) website. I have even made an OBB file for it. Why don't I see any other game hundreds of MBs long on the Google Play Store? My game is not so good.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not gonna lie, this reads an awful lot like a humblebrag and advertisement disguised as a question. :p

But yeah, a lot of people are just hobbyists or dabblers who make little personal projects for them and their friends. There are a bunch of commercial RM projects, so you're definitely not the only one who's released one. There are also a crapton of really good free ones (most of which you can find on rpgmaker.net). itch.io tends to attract a kind of high-volume lower-quality crowd but it's far from the only place to find games.

Jrrkein

Drago Royale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm kinda person who is much of a hobbyist who just messing with RM. Never forget teh first time I post a project here and it was cringe for me

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker is cheap enough to dabble in without having to feel too guilty if you put off the software for a decade or so. So unless you have a burning passion for RPG Maker itself and thus have a shaking desire to see it leave a bigger footprint in gaming culture, I think it's fine how things are right now. In my case, I pursued other avenues of media creation, and prefer to create soundtracks for RPG Maker games than create one myself. Though if I do return to the RPG Maker Dev life, I'm definitely hiring a capable team. People expect me to bring a certain quality now, so I kind of can't go backwards. And hopefully just spend half of what I spent on my current project.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Open the software.
Play around a bit.
Got distracted, chat with friends, then play games.
Not even close the software.

Then 3000 hours++ has passed without a single game released.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're not seeing a lot of quality RM games, you can't be looking very hard.

Drakkonis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I originally got it to make a fangame, I'd done the same with 2k3 years ago. Then when I hit a snag that an answer didn't already exist for, I started dabbling in making plugins. I'm a bit of a programmer at heart, so I was instantly distracted. Now most of my "dev" work is spent building a testing environment for whatever harebrained idea I'm having that day.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno honey, a lot of people buy guitars, paintbrushes, cameras, what have you... Makin' art is for people, ya know. It's not just for the people who get things done and complete. It's for all the people, the dabblers especially.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@A_Higher_Plane You seem to forget that most people have to work on their projects by themselves. AAA commercial RPGs (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Lufia, Chrono Trigger, etc.) usually required an entire team of paid professionals, most of which specialize in a single skill, such as graphics, music, programming, scenario planning, etc. Making a 'Quality' game isn't that easy, especially for a single individual, whom probably only have maybe 1 or 2 talents at most, relying on the talents & resources of others.

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not gonna lie, this reads an awful lot like a humblebrag and advertisement disguised as a question.

This.

Also, Rpg maker advertising makes it sound easy to make a game. So people buy it. Then they realize it's actually very hard and time consuming as soon as you step out of the default zone.
So when people want a certain mechanic in their game as newcomers, they realize they need plugins and / or even code stuff themself. And for many, that "I want to make a game" feel turns into a "oh hell nah" really quick at that point.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@A_Higher_PlaneMaking a 'Quality' game isn't that easy, especially for a single individual, whom probably only have maybe 1 or 2 talents at most, relying on the talents & resources of others.
And let's talk about when important members of the team ghost ya. (We don't have to talk about it, I just figured it was an important addition to why a lot of projects fall through without some gnarly cutthroat tactics and $$$ to burn.)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you haven't played a lot of awesome RPG Maker MV games, then you haven't played my game, RTP (linked in my signature). I recommend you play it. I also have 2 projects that have been on hiatus for some time now, with 1 of those probably staying that way. Then I also have 2 other projects that are largely finished, but have been made for just my own entertainment, that I don't plan on uploading because, let's just say, they lack any kind of new-player tutorial and everything a player not familiar with the game would expect to get.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, back to topic. I bought RPG Maker MV during a sale on steam. I started it, did one map, closed it and went on to the next game to play.

I believe without this pandemic i wouldn't have ended up using it again. And i believe i'm not the only one buying something on a steam sale thinking "Hey, that might be fun" and than let it rot in the steam library. :kaosigh:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, back to topic. I bought RPG Maker MV during a sale on steam. I started it, did one map, closed it and went on to the next game to play.

I believe without this pandemic i wouldn't have ended up using it again. And i believe i'm not the only one buying something on a steam sale thinking "Hey, that might be fun" and than let it rot in the steam library. :kaosigh:
I've got stuff in my Steam library I've never even installed after having owned it several years. XD

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do people do with these RMs?

- Play/Use as distraction (because to many It's an engaging toy)
- Make games for family, friends, spouse.
- Make games for gamers.
- Make games for the h-community.
- Making fangames.
- Modding games.

- Create applications for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android/Mobile.
- To just be part of the RPG Maker community. (Like this one.)
- To create a community of their own. (People who do RPG Maker dev streams on YouTube & Twitch)
- Resource Creators (RPG Maker is useful to artists for testing their art. And for resource creators, including artists & plugin makers, to test their resources in RPG Maker before distributing.)
- Teach (used by teachers to teach lessons)
- Do assignments (Students do assignments using it)
- Adding a game/demo/prototype to show off in portfolio, for getting jobs.
- Creating video content (picture a scripted movie-like experience, in RPG Maker. That you can watch on YouTube, but can't play.)
- Business (Some businesses are around creating content & resources for RPG Maker Users, and not for gamers)
- Marketing (I've come across businesses handing a free game along with a purchase of a product. With the game being about the product, giving more info on it.)
- Abandon (because a lot of people move away from RPG Maker.)

That's all I can recall from what I've seen, doing daily news.
So as you can see, It's more than games that is a product of using RPG Maker.

Last edited:

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make my own games that they don't have & something different,for myself or the others who have interest to.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink