What do you all think of Darrin Perez's RPG Maker books?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by West_Winds, Mar 17, 2018.

1. West_Winds

West_Winds Fun guy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got the two from RMMV on Humble Bundle at the beginning of the month. I haven't looked at Beginning RPG Maker MV yet, but I am really enjoying Make a 2D RPG in a weekend. I think it's pretty great, kinda like a guided tour.

Have you all read the books? :) I think Mister Perez probably won himself an appreciative fan in my case.

2. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be honest I didn't even know that there was an RPG Maker book. :LZSooo:

3. Zebestian

Zebestian Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've only heard of them because of that humble bundle that was going on but since I didn't get that bundle I don't really know much else about those books. I wonder if they offer more insight than the various tutorials you can find online. I might take a closer look at them though once I actually take on the task of making a game!:kaojoy:

4. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I bought them full price when they first came out (when i was ballin lol). The vxa books are decent and combine with rpg maker for teens by Michael Duggan for full experience. Duncan's book covers VX but they're similar.
    Now for Perez's mv books - they're inaccurate trash. He just did global copy and replace.
    For example - you get 20 pages in events not 99 (since this is mobile). He just assumed they're the same but with mobile support (which it's not).
    The only difference is that he uses JavaScript code in the MV books instead of Ruby.
    Overall they have some good coding practices in there (like using global parallel processes for warp events). As a challenge i used the light version and used minimal code as possible. Especially since you can only have 10 events per map. Calling XY coords for doors and such helps...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  5. West_Winds

West_Winds Fun guy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks Kaukusaki, should I just stop using the books? >.> Or is there enough good in them that they might still help me?

6. kaukusaki

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You're good to go @West_Winds . use the books. They're a decent starting point

West_Winds likes this.
  7. Sodalis

Sodalis Graphic Producer Member

First Language:
    English
    I agree with kaukusaki... they are a decent... no, terrific starting point. I'm working through them now, and learning more than I have in years. I would say that to produce a unique game, you'll soon go beyond the books and stamp your own style upon it. But there is always a starting point.

kaukusaki and West_Winds like this.
  8. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've started going through the book. He creates a parallel event to handle transfers from the town to the individual store maps. Is there a reason you would want to do this over creating three transfer events? I can understand the usefulness of parallel events and why you might have one but this seems like a waste of processing here. If there is a limit of event that you were afraid of hiting, I could see using it.

kaukusaki likes this.
  9. kaukusaki

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @dulsi
    In VXA lite there's a limit to events (max 10 per map) hence running a parallel process for transfers. It is useful to know nonetheless ... But if you're using the full version you basically don't have to do that.

Lately i have only access to VXA lite on an old XP machine so I've been creating full fledged games in it to eventually port to full VXA and MV once i upgrade the breadbox. The limitations have been fueling my creativity and it's been helpful in tightening up my code. ≥3≤

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. TengHu

TengHu The Handyman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    First, I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover but that cover looks...not enthusiastic. I feel like the designer was going for a Dummies style which kind of puts me off of looking into the book. Second, when it comes to RPG Maker, I feel it's best to experience the engine through trial and error; not by reading a book. Isn't there an HTML help file that comes installed with the engine which details everything anyways?

Sorry, Darrin; wherever you are.

11. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I got the two book in a Humble Bundle. (I wanted the other books and didn't have RPG Maker MV at the time.) Sure you could use the help or tutorials online but I think the focus could help people. New developer articles here often talk about doing a short focused game initially not the grand game you bought RPG Maker for. Make a 2D RPG in a Weekend is that exact exercise. Sure the game is not great. I do feel it teaches you how to use RPG Maker MV not how to design a game. Which is a useful skill and needed to make a game but not really sufficient. I wrote up my review here. I haven't read Beginning RPG Maker MV.