Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to come up w/ a name for this little guy. The best (unoriginal) I could come up w/ was "Dragonling" or "Whelp". The thing is though, I plan to have monsters/creatures such as these drop leather (for crafting), so I need a name that sounds good w/ the suffix "-hide". For instance, I have Goblins in my game and the Leather armor crafted out of their drops would be called stuff like "Goblinhide Tunic". That's why I need a name for this baby dragon here. I'm gonna have older/mature dragons drop Dragonscales instead, while these younglings' hide is still soft enough to be considered "Leather" instead of "Mail" (in the case of Dragonscales).
1604835647605.png

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe something like Draconid or Drakid or just Dracon.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, he looks sort of like Zim from The Dragon Prince!
I usually see "whelp" used to describe a baby dragon. "Whelphide" sounds pretty awful, but you could just call it Dragonhide which sounds alright.

"Drake" is sometimes used to describe a small dragon or a young dragon. This has the advantage of "Drakehide" sounding really good.

"Baby Dragon" would be fine - again, Dragonhide could be used to name the material that he drops.

Finally, just looking at the sprite for a few seconds, the name "Skyre" popped into my head. Maybe was thinking of Sky + Fire? But I think it sounds pretty cool, and Skyrehide (or Skyreskin) make decent names for the material.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Dracubs? Drakkis?
EDIT
After rereading myself my brain farted the DRACULAs joke.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Usually whelp, but in my own setting since Dragon = Satan baby dragons are not a thing as they're fully formed at creation.

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to come up w/ a name for this little guy. The best (unoriginal) I could come up w/ was "Dragonling" or "Whelp". The thing is though, I plan to have monsters/creatures such as these drop leather (for crafting), so I need a name that sounds good w/ the suffix "-hide". For instance, I have Goblins in my game and the Leather armor crafted out of their drops would be called stuff like "Goblinhide Tunic". That's why I need a name for this baby dragon here. I'm gonna have older/mature dragons drop Dragonscales instead, while these younglings' hide is still soft enough to be considered "Leather" instead of "Mail" (in the case of Dragonscales).
View attachment 167055
Nothing wrong with WhelpHide, as it's the correct term here. But at another guess i'll say Dragon hide/young Dragon/Smalhide?

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whelp or dragonling would be the most correst term

So dragonwhelp hide or dragonling hide would have my personal vote.

Drake is actually a different species, but if you dont have them in you game I doubt ppl will see fault with it xD

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Dungeons and Dragons calls baby dragons Wyrms, wyrmhide doesn't sound bad.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dungeons and Dragons calls baby dragons Wyrms, wyrmhide doesn't sound bad.
Wyrm however are a wurm-like species of dragons in mythology and as I understand it @Frostorm wants to be as ' accurate' as possible tto these things... Otherwise it would definetly be a good choice.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
awww. Look at its fuzzy little mane! Some immediate ideas that come to mind:
  • the cuteness
  • driggy, driggen, or dwaggy
  • fuzz muffin
  • fire burp (assuming they breathe fire)
  • d'awww
  • lil rawr

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This thread is mostly resolved, but I'd like to list out a mostly accurate terminology list for the different types of dragons:
  • 4 Legs, Wings -> Dragon
  • 2 Legs, Wings -> Wyvern
  • No Legs, Wings -> Amphithere
  • 4 Legs, No Wings -> Drake
  • 2 Legs, No Wings -> Lindwurm
  • No Legs, No Wings -> Serpent / Wyrm
I would just flat-out call them Baby Dragons / Hatchlings / Dragonlings. I know you have some sort of obsessive-compulsive thing regarding maintaining consistency between item names and such, but you're just gonna have to endure that and go with what makes sense. Don't worry, I have the same problem too. I get frustrated when I have a list of 4-letter character names and then there's suddenly a 7-letter name that juts out like a sore thumb. It's dumb, but ultimately, consistency between name lengths and styles doesn't really matter, unless you're facing some sort of UI problem.

Last edited:

TheGameBrewery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first reaction, as already posted here is Dragonling. Snakes, for instance, go by Snakelet. Both snakes and lizards go by Hatchling and Neonate when born.

Neonate is a new one to me.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a baby dragon is a whelp

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making Houses and Outside on the same map with RPG Maker MV!
Do people actually use buff/debuff function?
Ami

Imagine you (as Miner) Sleep in the Cave,the other side is a Bunch of Golds,how d'you feel?
finally got footage of my main character running around his corrupted street...
I finally got the ships and water to flow like I wanted to~ the canals are a success. Now to loop the animation for the kites. So many kites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dangkykubetim