What do you despise in a game?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm planning to have a different battle track for every field area.

DeadCrescendo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This will be fun. And probably push a few buttons! YAY!

>I hate it when a main character just up and leaves with my best equipment or I have to "split my party up" because of some random plot point. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy, you do this a lot.

>Patching a game because an event happened IRL and the dev doesn't want to offend anybody.

>Patching a game because of something as petty as complaints about an ending *Cough cough*

>Swords as a primary weapon in a futuristic world.

>Unnecessary censorship. It's 2014.

>Licensed music in games that aren't sports or racing or whatever.

>Heavy metal in a fantasy RPG? Why? We get that Manowar was cool man but dayum...

There's more but we'd be here all night.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This will be fun. And probably push a few buttons! YAY!

>I hate it when a main character just up and leaves with my best equipment or I have to "split my party up" because of some random plot point. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy, you do this a lot.

>Patching a game because an event happened IRL and the dev doesn't want to offend anybody.

>Patching a game because of something as petty as complaints about an ending *Cough cough*

>Swords as a primary weapon in a futuristic world.

>Unnecessary censorship. It's 2014.

>Licensed music in games that aren't sports or racing or whatever.

>Heavy metal in a fantasy RPG? Why? We get that Manowar was cool man but dayum...

There's more but we'd be here all night.
Wait, when has the 2nd one ever happened?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do recall some games depicting WW2 could not be released in Germany for many years. As for a patch after the fact, no idea.

I'm planning to have a different battle track for every field area.
You *do* know that is going to bloat the size of your download, and you will then get the "Why is an RPGMaker game a 1 GB download" complaint, right?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Added mine

• Action - Slippery control for action games. I don't want to perform this action but I accidentally did it.
  • Action - Slippery movement as well. Especially if there're many pitfall D:
  • Action - Unresposive move. Action pose take time too long
  • RPG - In order to use skill, you should use button mashing, especially if it's turn based
  • RPG - Grind is a must and it combined with RNG (Random Number Generator) which means you need to be lucky person
  • RPG - Repetitive battle BGM
  • RPG - No level, no grinding. I play game to grind
  • RPG - Soooo many item to remember in order to use crafting, alchemy, and such D:

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You *do* know that is going to bloat the size of your download, and you will then get the "Why is an RPGMaker game a 1 GB download" complaint, right?
Well I can always just convert them all to OGG to reduce the file size.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well I can always just convert them all to OGG to reduce the file size.
That's not going to solve all of it. I had a download with about as many .ogg files in it as would be needed to do what you want (especially once you add different field tracks and different battle tracks and cutscene tracks on top of it)...712 MB. First post: "Why is this 712 MB? It's an RPGMaker game!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Not being able to turn off battle animations. Especially the long ones.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes! I remember reading a book during FF8's guardian summon animations (and yes, I know you can boost during that, I just didn't care).

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm fans of using midi due to the size. Though, midi doesn't seems really popular here ._.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love midi, and I wish I could use it, but I find it really annoying that whenever it gets interrupted (by starting a battle for example), the tune loops back to the beginning. So, if the player wants to hear the whole theme on an enemy filled area, they would have to stand around and twiddle their thumbs.

I already posted in the other thread about this http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/34161-game-annoyance-list-rpg-maker-edition/ So it would feel redundant to do so here again. Then again, I guess I can think up some other peeves..

- Music puzzles: I'm completely tone deaf, so whenever I see one of these, I just know I'm going to be stuck for a while.

- QTE: Dear game developers: If you want me to watch the cutscene you put so much effort into creating, then don't force me to frantically press buttons while it's showing.

- Impossible to discover secrets: Just like the previous one, this has been mentioned to death. But seriously: I hate you Zodiac spear!

- Nonsensical censorship: Phoenix Wright despicts violent murders but wine gets turned into grape juice. I think someone has some priority issues here.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I love midi, and I wish I could use it, but I find it really annoying that whenever it gets interrupted (by starting a battle for example), the tune loops back to the beginning. So, if the player wants to hear the whole theme on an enemy filled area, they would have to stand around and twiddle their thumbs.
FF8 on the PC used midi (I think). I actually liked it better than the PS version (though I think I'm in the minority on this one). Simpler tracks, much more catchy even. It can be great if done well.

- Impossible to discover secrets: Just like the previous one, this has been mentioned to death. But seriously: I hate you Zodiac spear!
We call those Guide Dang It! But yes, ugh. Now if it was just a silly Easter Egg, then go for it (here. here is the spear of treasure chest missing instead of the Zodiac Spear. Crappy stats, but isn't it pretty?).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Actually, all my dungeons have their own music, and often their own battle theme, an several mini bosses have their own theme as well. If you convert to ogg vorbis, not just ogg you don't bloat the file size. My last project had nearly 300 maps, lasted 20+ hours and comes in at under 200Mb. All because (now back on topic) I really dislike bloated file size. When I see how long it's going to take to download some games, I give up before even beginning - I don't want to jam up my internet for 2 hours.

byronclaude

Master of all things... (except the things I am no
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
WOW.  People have a lot more things they despise about games than I would have imagined.  Developers taking all of this into consideration should feel pressured for sure!

Most of these things mentioned do not bother me too badly...  but one thing:

If your game has random battles....  it had better have battle music that I am not going to mind listening to over and over and over...   Nothing is so bad as annoying, or excessively high-pitched battle music.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my game, I have 9 different battle musics for battle and they were selected randomly 

DeadCrescendo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Did somebody say annoying battle music?

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I despise that a game have 80% of its content filled with fetch quests like in Dragon age Inquisition.

Heretic86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engrish
Primarily Uses
I can't stand not having at least a hint of what I am supposed to do.

Look, I skip a lot of dialogue, especially the longwinded stuff.  What I cant stand is having to tediously read through stuff I am not interested in and not being able to figure out what I am supposed to do.  There is a big difference between a Puzzle to solve or some hidden thing to find and having even so much as a hint about how to progress the game.  Once I skip dialogue, I expect an abbreviated version of my quest to be offered in some form.  Would you go grab that tool for me?  Then repeat it.  If its supposed to be a simple quest, lock the player into a small staging area and dont let them leave until they acomplish that one simple task.  If I can wander across three maps to find one apple out of say fifty that I dont even know I can trigger, Im never ever gonna figure it out and end up quitting first.  Make the area small, hell, make it 5 tiles wide by 5 tiles tall if you have to, and give me an NPC that says, "Go light a fire in the Firepit, you flippin idiot!".  I tried a RM sandbox style game (like GTA).  One of the worstest games Ive played yet.  Dont have to make it too easy for me, but let me feel that sense of achievement for figuring this out by providing enough hints, a reasonable area and balance it out.

What else I truly despise any more is bad mapping.  That tends to go hand in hand with flat out broken maps.  I can walk through this wall here with no rhyme or reason.  I cant move somewhere I expect to be able to move, no rhyme or reason.  Heres a carpet over my head that I can walk under.  Here is a door that opens but doesnt do anything until I press enter once in the doorway.  I know finding eventing bugs and broken chains is hard as hell to overcome, but there is a big difference between me saying okay fine, its a bug, small glitch, minor issue that got overlooked and another to find that nothing on a map works at all, period.  I'd just assume to have an AVGN rant on Lazy mappers who dont bother to thoroughly test their products.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What if all battle animations in the game are pretty short (like 1-2 seconds in length max)?

WOW.  People have a lot more things they despise about games than I would have imagined.  Developers taking all of this into consideration should feel pressured for sure!
I think it's because everyone is different. If we as devs were to try to fit our game to everyone's needs, we won't get anywhere. So long as what we do doesn't upset too many people, then it's all good. In the end there'll always be people who won't like something in our games.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's because everyone is different. If we as devs were to try to fit our game to everyone's needs, we won't get anywhere. So long as what we do doesn't upset too many people, then it's all good. In the end there'll always be people who won't like something in our games.
That's why I said many posts back that the only game that will have nothing that everyone despises in a game is a blank screen, and nothing more.

Edit: Ok, maybe not even then, as it would not give proper guidance as to what to do next. Though I hope everyone could figure out that the next step is to close the program and move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woke up on an awful nightmare of being banned here because some mod didn't liked me in a super-heroes freeform round robin RP where I used throwing normal hammer as power and it was qualified being too OP. XD Nice to read you all guys. Will not wait next nightmares.
Staring at all the RPG Maker versions I have and realizing that my project has been a long time coming. But, I finally feel like I have the knowledge and experience to make it into something good.
We're almost done with the jam game! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lguruji206