Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lol, I think someone would complain that they wanted a game, and just got a blank screen! There's an old joke among magic players that if Wizards of the Coast (publishers of MTG) put a $20 in every pack of cards, people would still complain.

I really, REALLY hated FFVIII's long winded summon animations. It was cool the first 2 or 3 times, but then i wanted to skip so badly, I was prepared to learn how to use my Playstation Gameshark to try and break the code and skip past them. 

I also hate games with no direction. Games like Martian Gothic really irritated me. I don't mind being thrown into an action game, experimenting with the buttons for a few seconds and then cutting loose, but it doesn't really work in adventure titles. Let me know what my goal is so I can seek to achieve it. 

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lol, I think someone would complain that they wanted a game, and just got a blank screen!
I've actually played games that did that. Oh, wait, those were due to bugs... :p

I really, REALLY hated FFVIII's long winded summon animations. It was cool the first 2 or 3 times, but then i wanted to skip so badly, I was prepared to learn how to use my Playstation Gameshark to try and break the code and skip past them. 

I also hate games with no direction. Games like Martian Gothic really irritated me. I don't mind being thrown into an action game, experimenting with the buttons for a few seconds and then cutting loose, but it doesn't really work in adventure titles. Let me know what my goal is so I can seek to achieve it. 
Ditto! And that actually gives me one to add to the list:

-Bad load times, or anything else that takes a really long time to execute and is unskippable. Neverwinter Nights 2 was guilty of this, I managed to read the 4th and 5th Dresden Files book while playing that game during all the loading sequences in that game.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Played an RM game earlier.

Here's another one: not being able to hold a button down to proceed with dialogue or fast-forward it altogether. May need to replace my Z key if I played a few games like these (not to mention I tap Z and enter, so there's two keys down)

While there are legitimate reasons for not implementing such functionality (eg: someone spent time to write the story, so we should read it), I usually just skip the story.

What if all battle animations in the game are pretty short (like 1-2 seconds in length max)?
Acceptable for me.

If the animation itself provided some mechanic (such as delays between hits or other things) that might be ok, but for animations that are purely for cinematic purposes...

Of course turning off all animations wouldn't be too bad either since seeing the same slash 1000 times throughout the game gets a little tedious.

I wouldn't even mind if I just selected my actions, and then the game takes a second to process all the actions and asks me for next set of commands. It would save so much time.

I think it's because everyone is different. If we as devs were to try to fit our game to everyone's needs, we won't get anywhere. So long as what we do doesn't upset too many people, then it's all good. In the end there'll always be people who won't like something in our games.
Provide configuration options.

Players already have the option of not having to play the game, so give them more options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's because everyone is different. If we as devs were to try to fit our game to everyone's needs, we won't get anywhere. So long as what we do doesn't upset too many people, then it's all good. In the end there'll always be people who won't like something in our games.
Yes, you can never please everyone. Even if you give them a lot of options, there will still be people who won't like your game..

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't even mind if I just selected my actions, and then the game takes a second to process all the actions and asks me for next set of commands. It would save so much time.
I always found it hard to see how people would enjoy a game like this. Like, how would you know who attacked whom and how much damage was dealt and all that if it all happens instantaneously? Just curious, because I think it's not the first time I came across someone saying this.

Provide configuration options.
Players already have the option of not having to play the game, so give them more options.
Yes, you can never please everyone. Even if you give them a lot of options, there will still be people who won't like your game..
Both are very true. I think providing as many options as possible is a good way to design games, because it helps people to alter the game to their own experience (I guess within reason of course), but no matter how many options we give, someone somewhere will still find enough reasons to hate the game.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always found it hard to see how people would enjoy a game like this. Like, how would you know who attacked whom and how much damage was dealt and all that if it all happens instantaneously? Just curious, because I think it's not the first time I came across someone saying this.
Well, this is a very specific case, but even though I loved Wizardry 8, it's battles were painfully slow, so I had no qualms about installing a mod that would increase it's battle animations' speed to a level where it would almost skip them. If I had any doubts about what happened, I just checked the battlelog (like the one Yanfly has for VXA). Here's a fun link to fully appreciate what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nc-NYwlaNk

Of course that video is the most extreme situation you could ever come across, still...

I just thought of another annoyance, though quite a minor one: pallete swaps in Persona 3/4! Why those games specifically? They modelled and animates 100+ Personae, but had only ten or so enemy models that they kept pallete swapping. I seriously would have traded 20 filler persona of my compendium for twenty new enemy models. Wouldn't you?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sometimes I don't. Depends on how the game is implemented and whether devs take this into consideration.

For example, some devs might provide the option to turn off animations (good), but then they don't realize that turning off animations means I don't know who's hitting who or doing what (bad)

Instantaneous might be a bit extreme. I wouldn't mind if each action was instantaneous so it shows "Slime attacks Actor1", "Bat attacks Actor 2" but cuts away all those time-consuming things that I may not want to see.

As mentioned above, battle log helps and is probably one of the simplest ways to do it, whether or not you're using animations. I might be reading a book while the animations are going.

Both are very true. I think providing as many options as possible is a good way to design games, because it helps people to alter the game to their own experience (I guess within reason of course), but no matter how many options we give, someone somewhere will still find enough reasons to hate the game.
There's no way around it, but as a dev, the goal is to please as many people as possible. Unfortunately there are people that will say "well we can't please everyone so haters gonna hate" and don't bother trying to add some personalization.

Even something like a sound control. Like really, I guess I could just turn the volume up or down myself through external means? Doesn't take much effort on a phone, TV, or computer. My keyboard has volume control for example, but if I wanted to control specifically the game, I'd need to go to the audio mixer. What if you don't have an audio mixer?

It's just not the same as providing it as an in-game option.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there a way to do in-game sound control with RMVXA? I would be really pleased with that, especially considering each system's sound is different. Some are inherently louder than others. 

Pallete swapping is quite obnoxious when it's over done. Especially when it was an enemy from just a few maps back. That really gets me irritated. I don't mind a couple recolors, but damn, keep it to a minimum.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe that's one of the default options that yanfly's system menu script (if I'm right about the name) has

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's "System Options" script.  As links are awkward, here it is for that one.  Using this would solve a number of dislikes mentioned in this thread.

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Lol, I think someone would complain that they wanted a game, and just got a blank screen! There's an old joke among magic players that if Wizards of the Coast (publishers of MTG) put a $20 in every pack of cards, people would still complain.
Well, of *course* people would complain about that - American money ain't legal tender everywhere, after all, and exchanging foreign cash usually gets either a low exchange rate or a flat exchange fee in the bank. :p

Now, if it were a matter of VISA gift cards with $20 loaded up in advance, on the other hand... ;)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now, if it were a matter of VISA gift cards with $20 loaded up in advance, on the other hand... ;)
In the US some places are now charging fees to use cards instead of cash. So guess it is true, we can't please everyone :p

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is one I experienced lately while playing an otherwise good game. Excessively padding a game to add game play length. Don't make me go from point a to point b and have it take 30mins and then send me back from point b to point a. Also definitely make sure the run mechanic works more often than not, players also run from battles because the battles have become to easy and they are ready to advance with the game sooner. When my already overpowered party who hasn't lost a battle in hours can't seem to escape from any encounters and thus is forced to do battle after battle adding gameplay time I wouldn't otherwise have wasted I start to get a little annoyed. In short I guess I'd rather have a more compact game experience that remained smooth throughout than one that is excessively long and riddled with minor frustrations seemingly meant to only add gameplay length.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Another one which has mildly irritated me in the past but which I have just experienced full force in a game I've just tried from the Completed Games sub-forum.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you - massively overused balloon icons.

In this game nearly every piece of dialogue in every cut scene was preceded by a balloon icon.  If it was just an ordinary statement it was ... (i.e. the three dots). If it was anything even remotely inflected, it usually got the exclamation point.  There was also liberal use of the annoyed icon, even where I struggled to see what the character was irritated by.

Why, oh why?  When everything is emphasised, then it ends up with nothing being emphasised because everything is treated the same.  It is tedious, and seems to assume that the player is so dumb that without these enormous hints, s/he simply won't get the point.  Oh really?  If that is what you're worried about, then I would suggest polishing the dialogue so that it conveys what you want it to, not treat the player to all this!

I think games are often a bit too generous in their use of these icons, but am quite happy to accept that others think differently.  But this game exemplified all the reasons for hating it.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^Frequent balloon icons tend to slow down the dialogue too much and I personally never ever use them at all. I think the tone of the dialogue and also making a different expression for the character's face graphic are enough to give the player an idea of what's going on. Those balloon icons seem unneeded most of the time.

Galenmereth

B___ _E__
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While options are fine, there's a fine line to be treaded here. You have to be mindful of the core of your game and you have to make some difficult design decisions if you want to make a well-rounded game; you shouldn't try to please everyone, because you can't. You will end up with a game stretched thin.

With that said, some of the options I included in The Vendor due to polarizing preferences among testers and people within the target for that kind of game include:

• Text speed: Default (word by word display) or Instant (window and text appear in 1 frame)

• Creature Log update toast on/off (nice for first playthrough, might be annoying the second time or for some people)

• View Combat scene: Ask or Disabled (goes straight to text summary)

• Buy / Sell confirmation: Enabled / Disabled

• Save overwrite confirmation: Enabled / Disabled

• Sound volume / mute settings

Now, the interesting thing with this is that these options wouldn't necessarily be universally good to have for every RPG out there, but for this specific game they make sense due to how the gameplay is structured, and what the game is about. I'd say for a standard battle heavy RPG, if skipping the combat entirely is an option, you should consider maybe taking the game in another direction mechanically. Do you need combat? Does it feel tacked on, but isn't that much fun?

As game designers we have to make tough decisions for our players when crafting our games. Some things can be left to their preference, but it's important to not forget that you're the one in charge of the vision of the game.

Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WOW.  People have a lot more things they despise about games than I would have imagined.  Developers taking all of this into consideration should feel pressured for sure!

Most of these things mentioned do not bother me too badly...  but one thing:

If your game has random battles....  it had better have battle music that I am not going to mind listening to over and over and over...   Nothing is so bad as annoying, or excessively high-pitched battle music.
My primary intent with this topic was sharing thoughts so that people have some idea as to what to put in their games.

Heretic86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engrish
Primarily Uses
Typos

An occasional tyop (typo) is acceptable, but not mispellangs whyen is evary third wordd.!  Speel Cheackerz!  Or just learn to spell.  Damn cell phone auto correct generation...

spanksmcgee3

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I to despise grinding, since if you need to grind then the game has a stupid exp requirement to gain a lvl. It's why I like FF8 so much since not only is gaining levels optional the exp requirement for level up never changes it stays the same and eventually if you chose to fight enemies beyond the ones necessary to progress the story you can find enemies that will give you a level up when killed.

I also despise poorly designed difficulty scaling, If it suddenly goes from 'normal' to 'nightmare' difficulty requireing you to go grind just to stand a chance, then your doing something wrong.

FF8 is once again a good example for this its real simple the higher your level the higher the enemie's level so they grow stronger as your level increases. But trash monsters will always be weak in comparison to bosses unless they are a Malboro and you aren't junctioned to defend against Bad Breath.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*when the One Map Challenge is the only time you can finish a game*
Drifty wanted to make sure the default MV spark animation lived on, so he made it in Effekseer for the contest :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:
Thanks to a post in a forum thread we can better create MV/MZ plugins in Haxe.
Latest video of my adventures in Kingdom Hearts 3~
Imagine every unfunny joke gets a laugh track, and it doesn't top until you genuinely laugh at that unfunny joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheFaz