What do you do while making games?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by MrKiwi, May 7, 2019.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi No Flying Bird Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I dunno, I think this might be interesting to look forward, right? Of course you must focus on what you're doing, but it would be weird if you literally just stay like 3 to 8 hours straight just writing events without doing anything else (If you do so... no offence intended :kaoswt:)

In my case I usually listen to HUB worlds music (They fit pretty well as casual rpgmaking bgm :kaopride:), also I eat some cookies.
    Sometimes, if I need it, I draw what I'd like to make, for example a new character, a location or some general things I might use. As for my main project, I also read a lot of history books and documents about the age I'm basing it on (No spoilers.) For some of my most recent projects I've been watching movies or playing games with a similar topic as references.

Finally, the, perhaps, most important thing I do while working on my projects is spin around on the chair. Why? Because its fun. :kaojoy:

atoms and Finnuval like this.
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All of the above :D but mostly listening to music. Also talking to folks on here a lot

3. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Funnily enough, I do "gam mak" as a pastime activity; when I'm slacking around or getting "busy" in discord servers, some works are being made in the background. When it requires much focus (like, say, making a feature or a character art), nothing I could say when it's in progress aside from actually working on it. When it's done, tho, everyone can see what's done.

It is kinda natural for me to do so.

4. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just throw on some Doom (2016) OST and watch me go to town on deving- who says you can't use a chainsaw as a musical instrument? Doom soundtracks are my deving jam, and for since some of my projects are sci-fi.

Though I do break up longer dev sessions with the three daily Unison League guild battles, bathroom breaks, and checking in on Discord servers I am in.

5. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I myself either listen to music, YouTube News/Vlog videos, comedy specials or podcasts (as long as they're not too distracting).
    In fact, I'm listening to one of Bill Burr's podcasts right now.

6. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For sure I'll listen to any music I'm currently in the mood, and it can be anything, not tied in a specific genre or source. I also often open discord and chat with everyone else, and occasionally throws screenshot, short video, or GIF on my circle chatroom of what I'm working.

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Come here. That's about all I do honestly as I find it easier to focus and stay in the mood if I don't have music on. Now on the other hand, if it is database work or other things that are monotonous then I'll break out the music. But for eventing and story scenes, I have nothing on and just tab here when I need a break.

8. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralphâ„¢ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do I do while making games?

Everything else except making games.
    Source: Procrastination

Vaena, Marsigne, Ryisunique and 5 others like this.
  9. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like listening to certain music sometimes.

When I was younger I'd spin around in my chair, but I don't seem to do that now (not suggesting anything negative by saying this as I'd imagine no matter your age some people can find that really fun, all I'm saying is for me I just don't seem to even think about it).

Browse the forums, here and rpgmaker.net.

Play other games.

Sometimes I may chat to people through Gmail, Discord, Youtube, (Even more so on WhatsApp on my Phone).

10. HayateKung

HayateKung Villager Member

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Listen to music and looking at tutorials.

Browsing assets.

11. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I only work on making my game when I feel like it so I usually end up just really doing work on the game..

12. Mystic_Enigma

Mystic_Enigma Squirrely Sanguine Veteran

In MY world, you are not welcome in my world!
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll usually draw, listen to music, and/or play whatever game that's available to me. Unsurprisingly, all of this can distract me from working on my game anyway!

13. WilsonScarloxy

WilsonScarloxy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I used to just listen to music, but now I'm unable to work if i don't have the audio of some random Youtube video behind lol Sometimes i get to distractem by then tho xD

14. Vance Raehart

Vance Raehart Story writer/Aspiring Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I listen to old episodes of drunken peasants or keep up with deep fat fried

15. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I work on artificial intelligence while plotting out what I'm going to do for a game.

Specifically "Artificially Intelligent Trees". Think of this like a hybrid Machine Learning system, that utilizes multiple different Machine Learning libraries from Decision Trees, Bayesian, Gene Sequencing, and a few other things.

Why a tree? Because the tree is the closest analog we have currently, besides looking into our skulls, to find something that approximates a brain.

But it really changes your entire implicit and explicit programming approach.

And yes Ruby. But also some Shell as well.

I want to do it for a game someday, but I'm not sure if it really translate.

Oh also I mixed spices, I made one that's a mix of Tajin, Cumin, Tummeric, fresh ginger, paprika, garlic, Cayenne, and chili powder. It's much worse when you use it in tomato sauce. It generally tastes like bitter citrus.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  16. lianderson

lianderson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I keep my headphones on without any music. (helps me focus)

Also, after 2-3 hours of work, I usually sleep for 30-120 min, and then immediately wake up and continue where I left off for another 2-3 hours.

17. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I usually listen to music, specially when I'm doing a scene. I realized that the scene construction is easier and faster if I listen to the music that is going to play in that specific scene. Also, in the last days I find it useful to just take a break from the RPG Maker and breath fresh air for a few minutes. When I come back to the computer, things flow better.

18. woop

woop Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I usually watch twitch or put on some music while I work.

19. JDevain

JDevain Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whenever I'm feeling stuck on something, I like to get some fresh air. I go outside and hop on my horse and take a refreshing ride through the countryside. Usually, I'll encounter some foul, demonic beast, and will have to slay it with one of my swords. I then take the supernatural beast's head as a trophy, and then continue my excursion upon Roach (which is what I named my horse), often stopping to pick flowers, because flowers are pretty.

Other times I just play this video game called The Witcher. I find it relaxes me.

20. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    I just listen to the on map BGM when writing events / dialogues - if I listen to music at all.
    Other music wouldn't help me to focus, as listening music is for me rather something to relax.

What I enjoy alot, is chatting in our "RPG group" in Facebook. It's nice to get some instant feedback or to be inspired by other's work or motivated by their achievements. Feels abit like working in an office with your collegues ^^

Marsigne likes this.