MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno, I think this might be interesting to look forward, right? Of course you must focus on what you're doing, but it would be weird if you literally just stay like 3 to 8 hours straight just writing events without doing anything else (If you do so... no offence intended :kaoswt:)

In my case I usually listen to HUB worlds music (They fit pretty well as casual rpgmaking bgm :kaopride:), also I eat some cookies.
Sometimes, if I need it, I draw what I'd like to make, for example a new character, a location or some general things I might use. As for my main project, I also read a lot of history books and documents about the age I'm basing it on (No spoilers.) For some of my most recent projects I've been watching movies or playing games with a similar topic as references.

Finally, the, perhaps, most important thing I do while working on my projects is spin around on the chair. Why? Because its fun. :kaojoy:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All of the above :D but mostly listening to music. Also talking to folks on here a lot

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Funnily enough, I do "gam mak" as a pastime activity; when I'm slacking around or getting "busy" in discord servers, some works are being made in the background. When it requires much focus (like, say, making a feature or a character art), nothing I could say when it's in progress aside from actually working on it. When it's done, tho, everyone can see what's done.

It is kinda natural for me to do so.

JtheDuelist

Just a dev who actually got a game finished
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just throw on some Doom (2016) OST and watch me go to town on deving- who says you can't use a chainsaw as a musical instrument? Doom soundtracks are my deving jam, and for since some of my projects are sci-fi.

Though I do break up longer dev sessions with the three daily Unison League guild battles, bathroom breaks, and checking in on Discord servers I am in.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I myself either listen to music, YouTube News/Vlog videos, comedy specials or podcasts (as long as they're not too distracting).
In fact, I'm listening to one of Bill Burr's podcasts right now.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For sure I'll listen to any music I'm currently in the mood, and it can be anything, not tied in a specific genre or source. I also often open discord and chat with everyone else, and occasionally throws screenshot, short video, or GIF on my circle chatroom of what I'm working.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Come here. That's about all I do honestly as I find it easier to focus and stay in the mood if I don't have music on. Now on the other hand, if it is database work or other things that are monotonous then I'll break out the music. But for eventing and story scenes, I have nothing on and just tab here when I need a break.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like listening to certain music sometimes.

When I was younger I'd spin around in my chair, but I don't seem to do that now (not suggesting anything negative by saying this as I'd imagine no matter your age some people can find that really fun, all I'm saying is for me I just don't seem to even think about it).

Browse the forums, here and rpgmaker.net.

Play other games.

Sometimes I may chat to people through Gmail, Discord, Youtube, (Even more so on WhatsApp on my Phone).

HayateKung

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Listen to music and looking at tutorials.

Browsing assets.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I only work on making my game when I feel like it so I usually end up just really doing work on the game..

Mystic_Enigma

Seal the Deal!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll usually draw, listen to music, and/or play whatever game that's available to me. Unsurprisingly, all of this can distract me from working on my game anyway!

WilsonScarloxy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I used to just listen to music, but now I'm unable to work if i don't have the audio of some random Youtube video behind lol Sometimes i get to distractem by then tho xD

Vance Raehart

Story writer/Aspiring Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I listen to old episodes of drunken peasants or keep up with deep fat fried

L.W. Flouisa

NumeroHex
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I work on artificial intelligence while plotting out what I'm going to do for a game.

Specifically "Artificially Intelligent Trees". Think of this like a hybrid Machine Learning system, that utilizes multiple different Machine Learning libraries from Decision Trees, Bayesian, Gene Sequencing, and a few other things.

Why a tree? Because the tree is the closest analog we have currently, besides looking into our skulls, to find something that approximates a brain.

But it really changes your entire implicit and explicit programming approach.

And yes Ruby. But also some Shell as well.

I want to do it for a game someday, but I'm not sure if it really translate.

Oh also I mixed spices, I made one that's a mix of Tajin, Cumin, Tummeric, fresh ginger, paprika, garlic, Cayenne, and chili powder. It's much worse when you use it in tomato sauce. It generally tastes like bitter citrus.

Last edited:

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I keep my headphones on without any music. (helps me focus)

Also, after 2-3 hours of work, I usually sleep for 30-120 min, and then immediately wake up and continue where I left off for another 2-3 hours.

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually listen to music, specially when I'm doing a scene. I realized that the scene construction is easier and faster if I listen to the music that is going to play in that specific scene. Also, in the last days I find it useful to just take a break from the RPG Maker and breath fresh air for a few minutes. When I come back to the computer, things flow better.

woop

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually watch twitch or put on some music while I work.

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whenever I'm feeling stuck on something, I like to get some fresh air. I go outside and hop on my horse and take a refreshing ride through the countryside. Usually, I'll encounter some foul, demonic beast, and will have to slay it with one of my swords. I then take the supernatural beast's head as a trophy, and then continue my excursion upon Roach (which is what I named my horse), often stopping to pick flowers, because flowers are pretty.

Other times I just play this video game called The Witcher. I find it relaxes me.

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
I just listen to the on map BGM when writing events / dialogues - if I listen to music at all.
Other music wouldn't help me to focus, as listening music is for me rather something to relax.

What I enjoy alot, is chatting in our "RPG group" in Facebook. It's nice to get some instant feedback or to be inspired by other's work or motivated by their achievements. Feels abit like working in an office with your collegues ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So the overhaul on my project has been going great, I like this version of the project a lot more. It's more contained and less overly ambitious for what I can achieve given my constraints on time, money, and skills in advanced programming. I'm going to wait till my project is mostly finished to begin working UI polish again. I'm going to learn how to use LUNA MV to polish the project.
last time i used this site i was a different gender.. wow rlly makes u think... anyway transing ur gender is pretty cool and theres hair growing on my feet now 10/10
I should have listened to RPGMAKER Meme thread. I should have backed up my data. The Orphan of Time, my WIP, is completely gone, all those hours of work are completely gone :(
God what was my life before smartphones (I had a grandma's phone before wednesday)
Stream will be live shortly with The Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TEKILAO