What Do You Do With Your Abandoned Projects?

Papa-Beercheese

Diggy diggy my trench, trench.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I couldn't count the number of projects I've started and never quite finished or abandoned for numerous reasons. So I got curious, what does everyone else do with their old ideas that never quite made the grade? Do you save them for future reference? Delete them entirely and start a new fresh slate?

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I couldn't count the number of projects I've started and never quite finished or abandoned for numerous reasons. So I got curious, what does everyone else do with their old ideas that never quite made the grade? Do you save them for future reference? Delete them entirely and start a new fresh slate?
I wasn't given a choice, last summer, my external hard drive, where I stored all of my projects at the time, died, and the data was irrecoverable.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They kinda just sit there on my computer... In case I ever stop procrastinating with other newer games and want to actually finish something.
Speaking of that... I should probably back that stuff upp some time.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a bunch of unfinished projects, oftentimes I'll end up taking parts of them (like maps, characters and skills) and re-purposing them for my next project. I especially like to do this with maps - no reason to let a good map go to waste!

I had an abandoned project that actually got pretty far in development until I scrapped it. I ended up using two of the characters in that game for a different project, my previous game (Knight Bewitched 2), and took the world map from it and re-purposed it for the game I'm working on now.

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I still have my very first RPG Maker project (which I made on the Lite version of VX Ace) that I never released. It was fun trying to see how much I could get squeezed in the limitation. Act 1 was done just never publicly released and Act II remains unfinished, but I did end up recycling one character--a guy that always just says "cabbages" in my first released RM game. I look back at that unfinished saga as something that really helped me learn the engine. Sadly 2 projects I wish I still had were lost in a reformat. I swear I thought I backed it up, but apparently after searching all my flashdrives, I did not. I do remember some of the concepts and characters I hope to recycle somewhere.

Papa-Beercheese

Diggy diggy my trench, trench.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wasn't given a choice, last summer, my external hard drive, where I stored all of my projects at the time, died, and the data was irrecoverable.

I'm sorry to hear that, I know that feeling all too well. I hope your endeavors will continue nonetheless.
Still have them, sometimes they're motivating me.

It's always nice to jump back into them for inspiration. It's neat going back to an old project and seeing just how far you've come from then.

They kinda just sit there on my computer... In case I ever stop procrastinating with other newer games and want to actually finish something.
Speaking of that... I should probably back that stuff upp some time.

I prefer to call it "aging like fine wine". It's never fun rushing a game's completion.

I have a bunch of unfinished projects, oftentimes I'll end up taking parts of them (like maps, characters and skills) and re-purposing them for my next project. I especially like to do this with maps - no reason to let a good map go to waste!

I had an abandoned project that actually got pretty far in development until I scrapped it. I ended up using two of the characters in that game for a different project, my previous game (Knight Bewitched 2), and took the world map from it and re-purposed it for the game I'm working on now.

Great minds think alike! If you've already put so much effort into something, there's no reason it can't be used again elsewhere.

I still have my very first RPG Maker project (which I made on the Lite version of VX Ace) that I never released. It was fun trying to see how much I could get squeezed in the limitation. Act 1 was done just never publicly released and Act II remains unfinished, but I did end up recycling one character--a guy that always just says "cabbages" in my first released RM game. I look back at that unfinished saga as something that really helped me learn the engine. Sadly 2 projects I wish I still had were lost in a reformat. I swear I thought I backed it up, but apparently after searching all my flashdrives, I did not. I do remember some of the concepts and characters I hope to recycle somewhere.

It seemed, at least to me, that the limitations of the Lite version made the user have to be more creative. I'm especially curious about the gentleman's affixation with Cabbages. :D

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Most all of "my" unfinished projects aren't mine exactly but joint projects that I have no choice but to abandon, which makes my heart break because I really enjoy the concepts, and I look to them for inspiration from time to time.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nothing. When I decided that it is abandoned, then it is abandoned. Archived in my archive folder. I might go back to look at them for nostalgia, but nothing more. Most of my abandoned projects never went too far to even worth to be used as a reference, as in project-wise (the actual RPG maker project). However, an artistic draft like character design, story, or unfinished music draft is worth checking into. Sometimes I continue where I left, and actually made something good out of it.

moko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Other
I either decide to continue them, or recycle the best ideas from them.

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I abandon projects I just have them site there or do them so other time, the reason for this is because I just don't have time for them or I'm doing something else...But mainly the reason is that people hate the demo and I release them at 'To long time release' time...Also, another reason is that I get lonely where I am, never people to inspire me or talk to me...It's just me, my cat, and the internet...but it really does get lonely...

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It seemed, at least to me, that the limitations of the Lite version made the user have to be more creative. I'm especially curious about the gentleman's affixation with Cabbages. :D

Oh yeah, you had to be very creative in Lite. 20 maps, 10 events were your limit, amongst other things. No scripting. After I posted here, I decided to see if I could still download Lite and it is still available! Even though I have the full VX Ace (boxed version), would be fun to work under the limitations again just for fun, since it forces you to keep your project small. In fact it would be quite fun to use in a jam!

Haha, it all started with him just saying "cabbages", and when I finally used him in a finished project, it got even better. He's a pirate that grows cabbages and always has to say "cabbage" somewhere in his sentence lol. He lives and breathes cabbages!

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Story, characters and worldbuilding elements are often carried over between projects. Everything else isn't usually.

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep them so I can look at them later and laugh, sigh, cringe and cry. The games may have ended up abandoned but I reuse some mechanics. I took my inventory system from an abandoned project, my interaction system from another abandoned project and a few game mechanics from some other.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm always losing hard drives (damn gremlins) so I have highly detailed design documents. I work from templates so it's quicker for me to create a complete game in 2 weeks
ᕙ(@°▽°@)ᕗ
After that it's just making it pretty and making sure the pointers are correct .

Gabriel-Chi

MetsuG
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I recycle them, sometimes a cool idea i had before cold work well on a character's background, or i just try to re-make them in a better way.

misterdovah

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep them for the future. Some even are incorporated in other projects.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I flay them and feed their flesh, bones, and internal organs to active projects, although eventually I intend to resurrect them so that they may walk amidst the living once more.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Use them for inspiration. Typically I abandon projects because I want to do more with them then I am originally capable of and use them in some fashion when I finish changing/coding the engine the way I need. Nothing ever dies. It just gets ... transformed.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just can't walk to the store for lunch without walking past people smoking. It not only smells bad, it's probably poisoning me. I'm afraid I'll eventually have to be hospitalized. I can't take another path because there's too much traffic and drivers in the plaza are reckless sometimes. I almost got run over once, even after looking both ways.
RyanYe wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Your art works about Wyrvens and Dragons are sooooooooo cooooooooool~! I like them so bad
Can you create more? like Archangels, Devils, Titans, Cyclops!!
My valentine cutscene is now available on itch.io and you can get the "source code" as well, feel free to check it out!

The game page on itch can be found at:
A self-aware gamer, playing my game on video, and being honest about his feelings: :kaojoy:

It gets funny, there's heart, and his laptop is on fire as he plays. :kaoswt2:
Just finished making a 50x190 map.

It's not the overworld, just a simple trip from a forest all the way up a mountain.
Now time to map out a metropolis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feedtalefour