What do you like to drink or usually drink?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Kupotepo, Feb 2, 2019.

1. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually this study shows that regularly drinking sugar-sweetened beverages can increase your risk of type 2 diabetes by 26% - that's 1-2 of these drinks a day. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20693348

@Kupotepo
    More resources:
    Sugary drinks and obesity
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320493.php
    https://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/education/sweet_drinks_and_obesity/
    https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/data-statistics/sugar-sweetened-beverages-intake.html
    https://consumer.healthday.com/ency...on-news-316/kids-soda-and-obesity-644731.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/well/eat/studies-linked-to-soda-industry-mask-health-risks.html
    https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/110/8/513/3574201

That's just from the first page of Google results in searching "studies on soda and obesity". That last one also includes artificial sweeteners.

More on artificial sweeteners:
    https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/health/diet-soda-may-do-more-harm-than-good/index.html
    http://theconversation.com/diet-soda-may-be-hurting-your-diet-96181
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a0da074fd0bb
    https://www.consumerreports.org/soda/mounting-evidence-against-diet-sodas/

Again, Google will provide you with many more results. These are articles, that, admittedly I've scanned. They have links to their own resources.

I did not have a list of sources because my knowledge has come from reading a lot on the subject over the years, not just some study I read last week. I grew up obese and over my adult years have tried to change that and learn about a healthier lifestyle for myself, and to change the trend of obesity in mine and my husband's families into a healthy lifestyle for my children. One of the biggest ways we do this is by not keeping sugary beverages in our home. Most of the time we have only have coffee, unsweetened tea, water and almond milk (as most of us cannot tolerate dairy; we use almond milk primarily for putting in my protein shakes I have for breakfast or occasionally eating with cereal). We do occasionally let the kids have a soda or lemonade when we eat out at a restaurant or we might get lemonade or juice pouches for a special occasion like a birthday party. As a result, my kids voluntarily get a glass of water when they are thirsty and don't think twice about it. That's not the norm for many kids here in the states. And really, I know adults who have a hard time drinking plain water because they are so accustomed to drinking sweetened beverages.

samkfj, Kupotepo and Lemonrice like this.
  2. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mlogan, thank you for hard work. Now, I have to read them which is great. The truth is the truth matter how scary can be. P.S. I live in the USA too. You are a good habit trainer coach for your kids.

@Lemonrice, I think it is ok because you need to work or do something. It is like you drinking for fun?

@Matseb2611, what kinds of tea do you drink or preferred? I make a lot of green tea too for once awhile.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mlogan

omg... makes me not even wanna drink a coke anymore... that's some scary research yikes!

4. Lemonrice

Lemonrice Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kupotepo I drink coffee because I really enjoy a good cup of coffee. Also, around here it is quite common to have coffee in the afternoon when people are visiting. best along with some cake but not necessarily.

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @samkfj Right? I stopped drinking soda on a regular basis long enough ago that I don't really care for the taste of it anymore. But, the research is especially disheartening when you consider that it was probably (just making an educated assumption) based on an 8 oz serving size, yet the amount of soda/other sugary beverages people consume is much higher.

For example, some of my immediate family members see no qualms in getting a 44 oz soda (diet or otherwise) daily. That is 5.5 8 oz servings a day, IF they only consume one of those. And I know that my family members are not unique in this habit, at least around here.

samkfj likes this.
  6. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't drink those many--but coke is probably the one comfort "food" item I really have... might have to rethink that now.

I dunno--it's scary the things I've learned working in processed beverages. I knew there's a lot of sugars, but--if one a day is that bad for you, man... I think I'll stick with unsweet tea.

7. Borio

Borio Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i like beer but in small quantities.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I am known to irregularly enjoy a cognac during the evening, maybe the odd craft beer from time to time, but mostly I drink water. Well unless you count the milk in my breakfast cereal I guess. I always have my sports water bottle with me and refill it a few times per day at a sink of water fountain.

By the way @MushroomCake28 juices aren't actually good for you. Even freshly squeezed, most of the fruit's vitamins and nutrients are lost in the juice, it is not absorbed by the body. And the sugar is digested quicker because it is not held back by the fruit's fibers anymore. It is only marginally better than soft drink. The rest is marketing. Take my example if you will: I used to drink orange juice with my breakfast for most of my twenties, about 1.5L of it per week, and I had to consistently increase my pant size one size every year. I stopped drinking it - made no other change to my alimentation or lifestyle - about two years ago, and not only did I stop putting on weight, I actually went down a size or two.

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  9. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @LaFlibuste Yeah, juice can be bad. It indeed has high level of sugar which can make people fat (fortunately I never get fat lol, even if I eat only fast food I always stay so thin lol), and yeah it might have a lot more vitamins than necessary. However, it can be good for someone with a lack of certain vitamins. Everything can be poison, it's just a matter of quantity.

10. joombo

joombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm delighted by Spy Valley's 2016 vintage. It's a heavy-hitting punch of vegetal grass, mouth-puckering lime, and the ever controversial cat urine that I do so enjoy. Melange of other citrus, prominent grapefruit and guava. I found wine store Calgary with nice collection of highly rated brands. Just ordered there Ridge Vineyards Three Valleys 2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
    samkfj likes this.
  11. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I miss soda. I'm diabetic now so I had to kick my Pepsi Dew & Sprite habit to the curb. It's primarily unsweetened decaf teas now and for changes I might carbonate the water for fizzy fun

12. Rixis (릭시스)

Rixis (릭시스) Mecha Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    In recent years, Milk has been generally considered to likely not be as healthy as originally and traditionally believed . Technically the only real genuinely healthy beverage we can drink its basically water and certain teas. But thats no fun. With good moderation you can live a healthy lifestyle either way luckily

samkfj likes this.
  13. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Mello Yello
    Surge
    Coke
    Mountain Deeeeeeeeeew
    Water
    Coffee
    Tea
    Sprite
    Various beers

14. Pix3M

Pix3M Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I tend to go wild with my drinks

Yesterday I tried a mix of coldbrew coffee, puerh tea, and Cold Spell brand mint-flavored whisky. I was very happy with the results :biggrin:

Jhale M. likes this.
  15. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I love to drink high calorie things like eggnog, milkshakes and sweetened whole fat milk although I would prefer it is organic because non-organic fat is pretty toxic. Carrot juice is pretty great and also pomegranate juice and orange juice. I usually only have water and skim milk around since I don't buy my own drinks. I also drink a lot of herbal teas that I make free form and slow brew with lots of power and high quantity. I never drink alcohol and haven't had it before except a small taste unknowingly.

16. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Mostly water. Gotta hit my 2 litres a day.

Sometimes an orange pop (Fanta!) or hot chocolate.

I rarely drink alcohol. Sometimes I’ll have a cider or sip from my wife’s wine.

17. Sevarihk

Sevarihk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    You guys are all so health oriented with your beverages! I am astonished!

I used to be mostly a tea drinker, but not for the health benefits, but because I was too lazy to carry any heavy bottles home. And even then I did use a lot of sugar in my tea.

Now I am living mostly off iced tea. The cheap, sugary kind. I still drink tea (with less sugar than I used to), occasionally, but iced tea and coffee are what I drink most of the time. On the weekends mostly beer, cider, sweet wines with water or sprite (its a local thing) or whiskey.
    Occasionally I get a bottle of coke or some fresh orange juice (with fibre).

Actually, I feel like drinking tea now, I think I will start up my samovar :D

18. Norjen

Norjen Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm fairly health-conscious so I try to not to get much calories from drinks.

Tea, water, buttermilk (fat free), and some beer every now and then. I run most of my water through my soda machine since sparkling water is easier to drink for me when I'm not actually feeling very thirsty, and it helps me get in my 2 litres a day. I rarely buy sodas anymore and the concentrates meant for soda machines are kinda expensive, so I mix my bubbly water with some regular juice concentrate if I feel like I want a soft drink. It also helps to overcome the faint chlorine smell and taste of my tap water.

I've been thinking of homebrewing my own beer because it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run than store-bought, and the skills and craftmanship involved sound like something I'd like to get into.

19. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Coffee & Iced Tea...kinda forgot what other drinks taste like...except Orange Soda...who doesn't love Orange Soda

20. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Water hahahahaha. Aside from that, Im currently drinking Pineapple juice, Coffee and Milk.

I like drinking coke and others too but I try to keep them to a minimum. I used to drink 1.5L of coke in the morning after Tennis because its cheaper than 1.5L of Gatorade and I dont like drinking too much water during those times hahahaha

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019