What do you listen to when you work on your game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aceri, May 7, 2013.

1. CWells

CWells Storyteller/Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I play my usual stuff:

Kreator, Kamelot, Incubus, some classical or Opera. The same stuff I use for my painting/drawing, if I don't have to play the game when creating, I just play the music.

\m/

2. SergeX

SergeX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Nothing, I really dont like to hear music as I do the project. 

But when Im not working with RPG Maker and thinking of the project, I like to hear games soundtracks to get an idea, a line of dialogue, how will be a cutscene...

Currently what most I am hearing is FF Tatics OST, it got some really good tracks for custscenes and battles. I also enjoy Chrono Cross, some of Tales of abyss, Shin Megami Tensei series and its spin offs (I have often listened Nyarlatothep battle theme from P2 recently), some FFs, DK 1 and 2 and others.

3. Diego2112

Diego2112 The Gaming Gamer Who Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not much, and if I do it's usually folk/jazz/Operatic Metal (quite the eclectic mix, I know).  Stuff like Oren Lavie, Feist, A Fine Frenzy, Of Monsters and Men, Marcus Miller, Vic Wooten, Nightwish, Hammerfall, Iron Maiden, Sonata Arctica, Within Temptation, those guys...

4. Emzie

Emzie ಠ_ಠ Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    It's actually depends on my mood, if i want to listen to music while making my game or not, but sometimes i prefer violin/piano and music box like music.

5. AeonSpark

AeonSpark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Recently Final Fantasy OST's and their accompanying piano tracks.

Sometimes you need something calm and soothing to work.

The punk band NOFX, or sometimes techno like Pendulum and Nero.

Helps me work fast!

6. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't work without music, it helps me remain focused.

When I'm working on my project, I like to listen to music which suites what I'm trying to achieve; dark and melancholy tracks for grim and bleak scenes, and more aggressive pieces for more action oriented scenes. However, recently I can't seem to stop listening to "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode. I often become addicted to a single track for a while, then I don't listen to it again for a while. Hehehe.

C-C-C-Cashmere likes this.
  7. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've also found that listening to audio books when writing stories helps if you listen to the right type of book. Like for example I am making a game based on World War Z, I've read the book front to back several times, and have listened to the audiobook plenty more. It helps me get in the mood for writing that type of feeling.

8. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Listening to a very moody and ambient soundtrack often gets me into the right mood for abstract games. I once drew a whole world map from scratch while listening to "Shlohmo - Bad Vibes". Needless to say, it was pretty trippy.

9. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    Depends on my mood. Mainly Celtic/New Age for the normal stuff, Ludovico Einaudi for sad scenes, epically orchestrated pieces for more demanding scenes. But I can't work without music. I live with the headphones on my ears. I rarely, if ever, listen to commerical video game tracks when working on my projects ( but there is one or two tracks from Xenoblade that I just love: Unfinished Battle and the extended Main Theme. Both are around 11 minutes long. Good stuff ).

10. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm the same way. It's not necessarily music, but I NEED something going on in the background or else I simply can't focus, whether it be the TV or like I said, and audiobook.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  11. demmozero

demmozero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    a whole lot of yoko kanno and german metal dont know why but g metal helps me focus lol

12. overlordTNT

overlordTNT Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Metallica(Pre St.Anger), Dragonforce(all of it, they rock), Suicidal Tendencies (Look them up, i recommend Lights Camera Revolution), Skid Row, and Within Temptation (Orchestral Metal.)

13. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    I usually listen to the track that I will have playing in the scene I'm making. When I'm doing database work I usually don't listen to anything, nor when I'm doing particularly complex eventing, or working with scripts.

When I'm doing graphics work, I'll often listen to music for inspiration or setting the mood. Usually that will be RPG music, like from Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Suikoden etc.

When I make music, I ironically, also listen to music lol. I like to shadow track for reference and ideas.

Soundtracks should have consistency, and by an extension of the game, rather than the tastes and whims of the producer, so shadow tracks help me detach myself from what I'm making and think technically while being aware of the overall sound of the entire soundtrack.

14. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Eh, mostly just whatever is on Netflix.  Having something on in the background is useful.  I don't usually play music, 'cause I need to run music and sound effects on my RPG Maker fairly frequently to get the feel for what they are and how they sound in order to use them properly.

So... whatever anime is on Netflix is usually what I listen to.

15. Sonem

Sonem Villager Member

Piano. Everything works.

If not I love Pandora i usually listen to Nujabes, Kamelot, Kid Cudi, or Winds of Plague radio.

Also League of Legends streams.

16. senpoRiot

senpoRiot Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Game musics. Especially from Persona 3 and Final Fantasy. It gets me worked up especially when the music is a battle music :3

17. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  18. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have various youtube playlists that i've made (Rap, JRock/Pop, VGM, etc.) a bunch of random genres, if I don't feel like using them I find any video game podcast, or listen to one of my favorite streamers on twitch.tv play a game.

I honestly can't get anything done without background noise.

19. JakezuGD

JakezuGD Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    I usually just put the area or scene's theme running in VXA's music player. If I'm doing database stuff, then I'll just listen to whatever floats my boat from the selection of tracks used for my game.

20. estriole

estriole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    indonesian
    i mute my laptop. since i usually do it at night after all my family sleeping. and i'm not comfortable wearing headphones/earphones. that's why i'm lacking in game music :D .