What do you look for in an RPG?

gerbillover

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this is a general all-around question, but I've been working on an extensive RPG project and I want to know; what do you look for in an RPG? I'd really like to know this to help me reach out further to an audience, and see how I can make the game work.

Metabot

Destroyer of Worlds
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love well-written characters because they make the game immersive, like Kreia from KOTOR 2, Alistair and Morrigan from DA: Origins and such.
Also, freedom and a lot of secrets in maps is also a big plus, and I specially love customization, like enchanting, crafting and renaming equipment.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Fun. If I'm having fun, I'll keep playing. If I'm not, I'll move on. Generally speaking, I prefer good mechanics and want to always feel like I'm doing something. When it comes to storyline, I can take it or leave it. I don't need much story if the game is fun and too much story can spoil things if I start to feel like I'm just passively observing the events taking place.

Now there are exceptions, of course. Certain types of games that focus almost completely on story live or die on it for obvious reasons. These are typically non-traditional RPGs like horror games, Sims and stuff like that.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Challenge. I want to have to come up with strategies to defeat bosses, and to get the feeling that the game is rewarding my ability to strategise, and not just handing out success based on luck. Similarly, I love it when the game includes puzzles or mazes that require a good mixture of logical and lateral thinking to solve, and not just trial and error.

It helps a lot, of course, if the story is immersive and the main characters inspire me to care about them and want them to succeed.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An interesting story that doesn't drag on too much or fall on too many cliches, some relatable characters, a setting I can at least like to some degree, and an enjoyable experience that won't cause me to be stressed out or be forced to grind for ages.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Something different and fresh, especially gameplay-wise. So tired of seeing generic rpgs with turn-based battles, level ups and skills learning. We really have enough of that stuff and let's be honest, it is boring.

Gallia

Global Support
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Create something that is unique.
A good story that suck you in, gameplay that is rewarding, not every game need the "Dark Souls" stamp on it.
No QTE's, this is a personal thing, but i really don't like these during gameplay.
Just go for it what you have on your mind, when its out i'm probably testing it and you'll see my feedback then.
Try to impress me hahaha.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What games do I look for in an RPG? First of all, I love story, exploring, drama, puzzles, the whole interaction between the characters, with a tad bit of mystery. I love side quests (not so much the gathering stuff types, but I will do them). I love to rebuild a town, locating people or some other optional side quest.

Favorite games that stand out in my mind: Lunar, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger and Golden Sun (One, not two so much). My favorite RPGs from the west has to be: The Elder Scrolls, Fallout. Basically, I like games with story (true the western games could have more, but they have interesting lore, so on the list they stay). Puzzles. Interesting backstories. Interaction between the characters. Drama (life: Sad moments happy moments, angry, etc). You could say that the beginning should read: "Our journey to destroy the demon lord starts with our first step from our village and it isn't the ending that's the most important, only our journey to get there."

I hope that this makes sense, because I like to get drawn into worlds from the graphics, the story, the music, even the characters themselves to the very lore of the game world. =^_^=

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Gameplay first because with a boring gameplay player would want to quit your game asap.
Story to back up the gameplay because after the player discovered every mechanics of your game there isn't nothing else beside the story.

For example, I almost quitted Persona 5 after 20 hours because gameplay was boring and story too but chapter 4 happened and kept doing but that was only a trap because I kept playing hoping that a good chapter will happen again. It didn't before I chapter 7... then at that moment I just told to finish the game, wasted another 10h... forced myself so my playtime was 100h (it's the average playtime of players who didn't farm like me). Overall feeling, my time was wasted and I won't touch a Persona game before knowing it's under 60h.

MMMm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Something new and interesting. No game is perfect, but even mediocre ones can have an amazing feature in them.

RPG maker games tend to have one or two things they do really, really well and the rest of the game is average. I look for those moments of brilliance.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really like characters, so one of the first thing I look at are character designs both in gameplay and story. A bunch of boring looking characters is enough to get me to pass on a game. Though I'm also a big fan of settings and world building. Game play wise I actually prefer fighting games to RPGs any day, but when it comes to RPGs I prefer that there combat is strategic, but not solvable, a combat encounter becomes solvable when the exact same plan will work every time you encounter the same enemy. That by itself isn't too bad, but when it's also the only way to win a given encoutner it really sucks. I also enjoy a good story, I'd say I don't really enjoy cliche's but cliche is basically a code word something someone doesn't like to it's kinda a given

.//SnowAlias

Do'er of Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gotta love a good story. Graphics come last for me when choosing a game, because my favorite RPG of all time has to be Legend of Dragoon which is obviously a very dated game. I was wrong to have ever judged it poorly before my cousin made me ACTUALLY play it; it's the main reason I'm into game development and RPGs in the first place.

My number 1 favorite thing about a good RPG would be the characters hands down. If I'm going to spend 80 hours with a group of monkey boys and elves I want their personalities to be rich while tying into their past (no senseless archetypes basically). The characters should also blend in with the story perfectly otherwise they're just playable dolls to have fun with.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I generally look for a game with equal amounts of story depth, character development, and pizza.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love a game that plucks at the heart strings, a game that can make you hate the protagonist yet at the same time understand their cause, a game that makes you think about the decisions you make, a game where you care about your characters.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Gotta love a good story. Graphics come last for me when choosing a game, because my favorite RPG of all time has to be Legend of Dragoon which is obviously a very dated game. I was wrong to have ever judged it poorly before my cousin made me ACTUALLY play it; it's the main reason I'm into game development and RPGs in the first place.

My number 1 favorite thing about a good RPG would be the characters hands down. If I'm going to spend 80 hours with a group of monkey boys and elves I want their personalities to be rich while tying into their past (no senseless archetypes basically). The characters should also blend in with the story perfectly otherwise they're just playable dolls to have fun with.
I love a game that plucks at the heart strings, a game that can make you hate the protagonist yet at the same time understand their cause, a game that makes you think about the decisions you make, a game where you care about your characters.
I want to reiterate this; the characters of the game are largely going to determine if you want to play it. I find gameplay maybe even more important. I like to bring up games that aren't perfect but exemplify what I do like (maybe at the cost of the rest of the game...); Fire Emblem Fates has fantastic characters that I can enjoy and very solid gameplay (well, 2/3rds of it...). The worldbuilding is atrocious but the character building is great and I will continue to replay the game.

Random specifics I find just make the game better no matter what; Dog characters and Child characters. If the game lets me use a dog as a party member, the game is instantly worth playing for me. Dragon Age and Skyrim were much better when I got the dog companion. As for children characters, it's much better when they are treated like actual people instead of caricatures, but then that's true of anyone.

I've heard this in many places and I agree with it; A faulty game that manages to surprise you and is fun to play is often better than a game that's "good enough".

Koulucky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good story + good gameplay. Also, nice graphics don't hurt, but visuals come last.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Posted some halloween freebies! Grab them while on season :kaopride:
hallow_cat.png
So my birthday was about a week ago! Just forgot to post it. I went to a Golden Corral, and it was soooooo good! :kaojoy: I also got some Animal Crossing in my life! Yay, Animal Crossing!
At this point, "unique and diverse cast of characters" might as well be slang for Every Character is a Human-Sue.
I found an absolutely brilliant lifehack on the internet today.

Screenshot_760.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grungewitch