What do you look for in character portraits?

What style do you prefer for RPGmaker characters?

• Total voters

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello all.

I hope this is the right section for this (I also hope the poll works HA).

I'm looking to create a range of character portraits (headshots and busts, maybe even some full body images) and perhaps some sprites that will be free to use in RPGmaker projects.

My question is, what do you look for when seeking character portraits?

I know some like to recruit artists so they can create something exactly as they see if but for those who prefer to browse and see what is out there, what is the most attractive?

Would you prefer something in a more Japanese anime style, like the portraits already found in game? (These are the ones I see the most)

Or would you prefer the option of something more outside this style?

For instance -

A painterly cartoon feel - like this (example by Chelsea Brown)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2008/035/2/d/I_like_drawing_sybrows_by_saitenyo.jpg

A soft cell shade - like this (example by Claire Hummel)

http://www.geek-art.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Claire-Hummel-Pocahontas-17th-Century-Powhatan-Costume.jpg

A realistic feel - like this (example by Lois Van Baarle)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/041/6/1/belle_by_loish-d5ugiwy.jpg

Or maybe something hard cell shaded? More simplistic?

Please do give feedback, maybe post examples of the kinds of things you would like this see.

Would be really helpful to know what people are looking for before I start.

Thanks!

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
DS resource pack character style. That counts as anime/manga + soft shade I guess.

Hard cellshade isn't bad either. I use it in my game. It might because it's my style XD

I dont like realistic style. Even I don't really like high fantasy resource pack since they gave realistic feel.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Gee I wish I knew what those artistic terms meant. [=

Gotta go check links, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the anime style they use in the RTP, or anime style in general, as long as it's not one of those extreme styles (such as chibi, super girly/manly, taking over-sized eyes to extremes etc.) But I also like seeing other art styles, and as long as it's drawn well I'm fine with pretty much anything.

I think what's most important for me (besides it being drawn well) is that the art is colourful. I don't like styles that are afraid of using more than greys and browns.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Moving this to general discussion, this is not a resource

I like hard cell shading with a small mixture of soft shading. As for style, a more mature anime style. So less moe like this, and more mature like this.

I think the general consensus among the RM crowd is a more mature look (more realistic body proportions and eyes), with not a lot of bright colours.

Personally, I enjoy the bright colours, as I use it in my own style ;)

GRIMMJOW

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
As a huge manga/manwha fan I prefer the rtp/ds style most. If I had any drawing-talents I would try to do a game with the style of The Breaker/New Waves :<

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Gee I wish I knew what those artistic terms meant. [=

Gotta go check links, thanks!
Haha I know it's hard to describe. I was at work when I posted so was unable to source more examples at the time, I'll see what I can do. Otherwise please post any images of the sort of feel/style you are looking for.

Thank you all for your feedback so far, it is very helpful.

I was experimenting with these recently (these are my own works), this is what I would class as 'painterly' but not realistic (what is the code for 'read more/spoiler' btw?):

As for 'simplistic' I was thinking flat colour images. For instance I have done some work with vectors, would anyone be interested in this type of look for portraits -

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/009/1/4/bulldogfull_by_scribblesprout-d8d7ks2.png

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, like Sharm said, consistency is the biggest thing. If you've got widely varied portrait styles, no one wants them. But a cohesive pack of them? Definitely!

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, like Sharm said, consistency is the biggest thing. If you've got widely varied portrait styles, no one wants them. But a cohesive pack of them? Definitely!
Oh of course! That's the plan ;) .

But a range of packs would different styles (per pack) might help people I thought, not every game is made/designed equal. I was just interested in the demand. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.
Just doing some tileset tinkering again...
rux
Someone please help me make my game.
I need someone to volunteer, I am on my knees man.
I made my own pizza. First critique, more chicken next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brandini503