Do you want to change form Steam Greenlight to Steam Direct?

• Total voters

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So Valve has released Steam Direct, which is going to be a system that will replaced for Steam Greenlight, every game submitted to Steam now will cost 100$ each. In case you miss it, here is the full post form Steam:
What do you think about the Steam Direct system? Leave your thoughts here!

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, like I said in @Scythuz status, I think it's a great idea. It will potentially limit the amount of garbage titles that pass through the store. When I say that, though, I'm not simply referring to RM games, but rather lots of different titles I've seen on Steam that were not very good at all and were pushed through because it was stupidly easy. There might be some people with very low budget, yet fun games that may not be able to shore up the $100, but that's what crowdfunding is for. When the developers care about the game they are creating and show actual effort into making their game, then they'll want to go the extra mile to raise that money and have it meet a certain standard for gamers to enjoy and buy.

I personally think this was a very smart decision on their part and I hope it becomes a great success. I still see $100 as a bit low, but that's their decision. I think the $500 price point they had was pretty good as a maximum considering that if you are going to go commercial and you have a quality product, you'd get that back eventually, or quickly, depending on how popular it becomes.

I'm hoping for the success of this move, but only time will tell.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
personally am 100% for.!
This in order to avoid absurd projects see the light.
There is plenty of other platform to share nonprofit games or in an cheap category.

If you are not ready to invest money in your own project, why other people should do it ?
I was a little scared when I saw 5000$$$ !!! , but 100$ or 500$ be very reasonable.!
These are the basic amount credit that you have when you get a first credit card.

So this should eliminate much absurds projects, as well as the colossal workload behind the claims (refund) for these games.
Allowing less games, but better quality, I find this very positive.

There will be changes for sure, but in the fundamental principle, I like it.

Titris Thrawns

It's a trap! ...Or is it?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm two parts happy and one part ...concerned?

I was dreading the Greenlight vote obstacle once I finished a game, so that being eliminated is a weight lifted.
The recoupable component is also nice, since I believe signing up for Greenlight was a one-time sunk cost of $100? So the idea that start-up costs for selling a game through Steam can be zero sounds awesome.

The small concern is the details on recouping the 100 bucks and what goes into the 'confidence metrics'.

I made the mistake of reading the trading card change post and the comment sections on both blog posts. Is using RPG Maker RTP considered 'asset-flipping'? That's an old and potentially bigger fear of mine, especially in conjunction with confidence metrics.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Wait, wasn't the cost to get on Greenlight $100?
How is paying $100 for guaranteed acceptance suppose to help then? I'm a bit confused with this solution.

Playing the devil's advocate here:
I understand that they are working on algorithms to keep the trash aside, but that sounds like something that will easily backfire. Without proper quality control, why would certain games be pushed to the back or not? Potentially good games could get sent to the 'trash pile' and in turn, hurt the indie developers.

I want to be excited, but if anything I'm more worried. It seems like Valve wants to find a way to simultaneously cut down the trash (something I do legitimately believe they want to do), but also make more money and do less work in the process. Just my thoughts.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Seacliff Greenlight was a single $100 after which you could submit any number of titles. Steam Direct is $100 per game.
Imo it seems they are attacking the asset flips

Titris Thrawns

It's a trap! ...Or is it?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
...working on algorithms... ...cut down the trash...

After reading about the trading card change, I believe you are both right and the problem is complicated due to the interlocking 'market systems'. A 'bad actor' could buy/bot votes to push through a game through Greenlight, generate game codes, send them to bot steam accounts, harvest trading cards off of their 'game' and make money. Since these 'bad actors' can make money, asset-flipping and other 'broken' games are incentivized. Since the algorithms interpreted this 'bot and bad actor' data as real consumers, these games could be pushed onto the front page of the store, which has created many critics of Valve, Steam and their business practices.

It'll boil down to how they 'confidence metric' games. As long as small Independents are able to meet it, then I'll be happy. The issue will be if the 'bad actors' will find a way to game the metrics to restart the card harvest shenanigans and recoup the $100 per game fee while genuine Indies suffer or struggle. Demons are always in the details :distrust:.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
@Seacliff Greenlight was a single $100 after which you could submit any number of titles. Steam Direct is $100 per game.
@Zeriab Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I was under the impression that each Greenlight entry costed $100, but as you can guess I never uploaded anything up there. In that case I can see this in a bit more positive light, but it might just lead to a Greenlight 2.0. (Problems may still exists, just a bit less of it).

@Titris Thrawns I'm aware of the Steam Trading card market exploit. But I didn't know that if the market for a single game was active enough it could push it to the front page. When people mention these games appearing on the front page I always thought they meant the 'new release' section of the store, which is also commonly exploited.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theolharicot