What do you think of this class system?

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I know the system I am utilizing in my game is pretty simple. It utilizes the Yanfly Class scripts (Class System, Class Specific and Class Unlock) in order to make it work. I'm going to be using the main character of the game (the one the player steps into the shoes of) to show an example of it.

Each character has a Primary Class, this is the class they start off with. For the main character (Whose gender and name is chosen by the player) the Primary Class is Scholar. This is the class that gives that character most of their abilities. The Scholar class buffs allies and can utilize Arcane magic (Lightning, Ice, Acid and Force spells). Their spells are weaker than most spellcasters, as Scholars are able to wield Longswords and wear Leather Armor.

Each character also has a number of Sub Classes that are unlocked as they level up their Primary Class or another Sub Class. Sub Classes fall into one of two paths. The Path of Hope (Named after Alura, Goddess of Hope) or the Path of Justice (Named after Argos, God of Justice). When the main character reaches Lv.20 with Scholar, they unlock their first Sub Classes. The purpose of their Sub Classes are to further augment the Primary Class with new abilities and, sometimes, new equipment.

The first two Sub Classes unlocked by the scholar are Tactician (Path of Hope) and Spellblade (Path of Justice). The Tactician adds the ability to equip Tomes to the Scholar, which boosts the Scholar's magical abilities. The Tactician also adds a number of improved buff spells. The Spellblade adds the ability to equip Chain Armor, which provides a better defense boost than Leather Armor at the cost of reducing Agility. The Spellblade also adds a number of improved Arcane spells and useful buffs in the form of Elemental Weapons spells, which allows the Spellblade to add any of the 12 Elements (Arcane: Lightning, Ice, Acid and Force. Divine: Light, Shadow, Life and Death. Wild: Earth, Air, Fire and Water) to the attack properties of themselves or their allies.

So if the player wanted the Main character to be a Spellblade, they'd have two classes. The Primary which is Scholar and gives them most of their abilities. Then the Sub which is Scholar and augments their abilities. They can then unlock another Sub Class (Soulblade) once Spellblade reaches Lv.20 or they can level Tactician to Lv.5 and Spellblade to Lv. 15 to unlock a different Sub Class (Runeblade).

That's the jist of how the class system I want to utilize works. Was wondering what you guys and gals thought.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From your description, it sounds like a pretty ordinary use of the dual-class scripts that a lot of people use in RPG Maker.  So your scholar can either be a Tactician sub which gives them a bonus one stat and a set of buff spells... or a Spellblade sub which gives them a bonus in a different stat and a different set of buff spells.  It's not bad, but I feel like I'm left with little to comment on besides, "congratulations, you are using Yanfly's Class system".

What in particuar do you want more feedback on?

HeckHound

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Why not have some other method of unlocking and progressing subclasses? Given the name of your initial class, you could go down the path of learning things through studying various things.

For example, the Tactician:

• The Tactician is unlocked when "The Primer on Leadership in Battle" is read. This unlocks the Tactician subclass, basic skills of the Tactician and sets certain parameters. 
  • Instead of through level, the subclass is progressed through learning new skills. So say the Tactician learns "Flank Them!" through the book "Positioning in Battle", then they grow a level. What you could then do is have levels that improve that subclass through passive abilities tied to the theme of the subclass, increasing crit chance of allies when striking a Flanked enemy (obviously I'm making these bits up as I don't know the ins and outs of your class design). You could even have these bonuses have effects outside of battle ("Positioning in Battle" could also cut the rate of surprise attacks).

Having subclasses and skill progression through 'learning' through the use of items rather than just level allows you to go and add some hidden subclasses and more effective skills for your subclass (although this should be optional as opposed to mandatory).

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Wavelength Was wondering if it seemed too complex or too much to keep track of. A friend of mine, who plays mostly tactical RPGs like the Final Fantasy Tactics series, said it was too complex and shouldn't be in a RPG Maker game.

@HeckHound I have no idea how to do any of that or if it would even be possible to do in VX Ace.

I was trying to go for Final Fantasy Tactics' (For the PS1) class system, only more specialized per character, but could not figure out how to pull it off exactly how I wanted it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Wavelength Was wondering if it seemed too complex or too much to keep track of. A friend of mine, who plays mostly tactical RPGs like the Final Fantasy Tactics series, said it was too complex and shouldn't be in a RPG Maker game.

It is absolutely not too complex, unless you want to focus your RPG away from combat, strategy, etc.  A game that focuses mostly on narrative or physical exploration probably has little need for a deep class system, but even for a middle-of-the-road RPG what you're describing is not too complex and would probably be an appreciated feature.

As with all features, how you introduce the system to the player is always going to be paramount in allowing depth without overcomplexity.  This is a pretty broad concept and it's not really my design specialty anyhow, but just keep in mind that what players infer from the way menus are designed and the context of any scene that introduces a mechanic are even more important than the text you actually give the player.  While not directly relevant to RPGs, this video detailing Level 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. gives an excellent primer on how to introduce mechanics without needing to explain them.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Heckhound's suggestion is easily doable in Ace using ordinary events.  There are event commands for adding a level and for learning skills, both can be activated by clicking on the book, or whatever mechanism is chosen.  The subclass is bit more tricky, but again I'm pretty sure can be done using variables and the appropriate script.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
tethering is my lifesaver,especially when computer or laptop doesn't support internet connection.
convention concluded, i'm glad the books well received and sold out
not every content is decent, but i'll be better for the next work.

now back to game developing
I hope to be able to post my vxace resource edits this Wednesday.
Not sure if I'll get to the library though.
Me: Man, I'm definitely burned out this time. Time for a break. Me three hours later: I'm ready to work again, let's go! Me another hour later: Okay, I can't do this anymore. Repeat for infinity.
Just got MV and am working on porting over my new game from VX Ace to it! I haven't done much with my new game so it should be pretty quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maro