What do you use Luck for?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by ArcaneEli, Feb 10, 2015.

1. ave36

ave36 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I repurposed Luck as "Wisdom". It is the attribute that determines the effectiveness of White Magic (healing spells). My game has a class based mechanic that can be altered by junctioning Avatars (summons). If you junction an Avatar, you gain a small spell repertoire if you didn't have it before or it becomes wider if you already had a spell list. So a character who is not a White Mage or Paladin can access healing spells. However, only certain classes with high Wisdom are any good with healing spells.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I used it as originally put in the engine but changed the modifier to be 1.4% per point of luck multiplicitative. It worked out to if your luck is 50 points more than the enemy it doubles your chance of the state landing which is big aside use 50% as the default chance for any luck based states.

3. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Using purley events (and maybe a script call) you can use luck to determine how likley a random encounter would take place
    Or maybe you could use it for how likley you are to surprise enemies
    Or, you could even use it for how likley a shop would be having a sale were you get items at a discounted price

4. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I repurpose it into a Charisma stat.
    In my games, Charisma is how much MP is refunded to the player each time they kill an enemy.

I like the mechanic because it encourages logical management for who should kill the enemy. In games with allocating stats, it creates a split of two different types of mages, those with larger MP pools and can consistently cast magic until they run out, and those with low MP pools but high Charisma who can consistently cast magic as long as the player works alongside the mechanic.

This is a cool idea.
    I like games where different classes rely on different stats for magic.

Wavelength likes this.