What drives you to make a game? If it's free, what's the point? If you charge for it, why?

ThomasBellissimo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I purchased RPG Maker VX Ace in a Humble Bundle back in 2014. Since then I have started 3 main projects. My first completed project was released on Kickstarter in 2019. For the second project, I started a general outline, completed a few maps, and then put it on hold. The final project of those 3 I am currently working on.

With each of these projects, my primary goal was to create something. I had a desire especially with the first project to make something that I could look back on and say "ya I made that, and it's out in the world now". For a career I work in the service industry, sales specifically, and in my line of work there is no tangible feeling of "hey I created this product". I felt like that was missing so I did something about it.

The second project was started in part because the first was successful and I had a new story I wanted to tell. The driving force behind this project was wanting to tell my story. It quickly ran out of steam and I'll eventually get back to it...maybe...one day.

The third project that I'm currently working on came to be because I saw a gap in a market and wanted to fill that gap. This project is driven due to a perceived market need and the anticipation of potential profits to be had.

With all three of these projects though I've never once thought "I should release this game for free". I've also never thought "this project will make me rich". However, there is always a price charged for the game. I do this because I view my work as a "good", in order to receive that "good" a transaction must first take place. When I determine a price I think hard about what I believe the value of the product is. It doesn't matter if I spent 3000 hours to develop the product, it's all about what the end result is and what I think a fair evaluation of that end result is.

What drives you? Why do you charge or not charge for your games?

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My reasons for game making are two fold.

Firstly I like being creative. I find that when I work on creative projects I enjoy myself. It feels like time well spent and I enjoy it. It's a simple enough reason. And most of the time this is all there is to it. I just like creatively tinkering. Most of the projects I pick up never get very far for one reason or another but I still enjoy the time I spent on them for the same reason I enjoy drawing. It's more about self satisfaction than anything.

The second reason is I feel like the game market does not have a game that truly caters to my desires. And I want to make that game. I want that game to exist in physical space and prove that it can be done. Will I ever accomplish this goal? Who knows! But I'll have fun trying.

As for Free vs Charging...hrm...I don't know. I'll have to complete a project first to see if I feel it's worth charging.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, it's just for fun. I like messing around and doing stuff in RPG Maker. I like coming up with characters and stories (even though I'm awful at writing story). I like designing systems that are interesting (to me), making the kind of combat system I'd like to see in a turn-based game. I want to make something I can have fun playing myself, but it's also fun to imagine peoples' reactions to playing the game and seeing how people react to things if they like upload a let's play of it.
My games have always been free, because the process of making it is just a hobby for me. I don't work with a deadline or any expectations other than hoping I and a few people will have fun playing it once it's done.

Dolorre

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
EDIT: Forgot 4 and 5.

Well, the current game I'm working on I'm doing for multiple reasons.

1) There was a mechanic I liked in another game and I wanted to expand on it.
2) I have a story I really want to tell and share with others.
3) I want to have a finished game before I go on to a bigger, more ambitious project.
4) I just enjoy creating games in RPG Maker engines.
5) I hope that, because it's enjoyable for me to play, others will find it enjoyable, too.

Yeah, I will charge for my game, but I don't really care about the money. It'll mainly be to try and recoup some of the money I've spent on developing it. I also feel people take games more seriously when you charge (a reasonable amount) for them. Maybe because if you think it's worth money, you put effort into it. If that makes sense.

ViktorRocha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT(BZ)/ENG/FRN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good afternoon Thomas and Hello to everyone!

In my opinion, and as far as i could see by others comments, the main reason we start developing a game, book, fairytalle is because we want to tell a story. We are, after all, storytellers. I'm working in my first game in RPG Maker, i've made a few board games just for me and friends and i realized i'd like to do those. The first thing i've done was starting a story. By starting developing my game, i've discovered an entire universe around RPG's... Magic mechanics, weapons mechanics, classes, jobs, itens... It's all part of a story in development. Many things we must change or modify to fit our story, and that's the most exciting part for me! We must think carefully about rules for those, mechanics, how it's going to work, how our story could impactate others.
The second reason i can think is simple pleassure. All those things above gives me a lot of pleassuring wille i try to put all together in a way it makes sense.

For the other question: I totally agree with @Dolorre , when you put a price, feels like people pay more attention and takes it more seriously. And, after all, we spend time and money bilding our RPG worlds... Should be good to take back that investiment...

Well, for friends i usually make things for free... Just to see they happy and enjoying a nice game, but of course those are more simplistic and made with less time... For a profitable purpouse game, i think you need to take more care for things, like playability, history, rules for magic and mechanics, imersability and so...

That's my opinion... Hope it could help anyone...

Have a nice day!

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I enjoy telling stories, being creative, and playing around. I also use other programs (Daz for 3D art, etc) for the same reasons. I probably won't ever ask for money for the things I make because I don't think it's worth anything. lol. Not only that, but I just want others to enjoy what I create.

This is nothing more than a hobby for me, and buying things (3D assets, RM asset packs, music, etc) is no different than a painter buying brushes and paints, in my opinion. I don't want payment for doing the few things in life I still find some joy in. If others also enjoy what I create, then even better. :)

Last edited:

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What drives you to make a game?
Got tired of consuming. So started creating.
And I feel much more healthier now.

If it's free, what's the point?
Starting out, my intention for keeping my games free, was mainly so I can utilize non-commercial only assets.
Now... after seeing paid RPG Maker games (that are good) making lesser money (and have lesser downloads) than I do making free games. I'm sticking to the free model! :LZSlol:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Starting out, my intention for keeping my games free, was mainly so I can utilize non-commercial only assets.
Now... after seeing paid RPG Maker games (that are good) making lesser money (and have lesser downloads) than I do making free games. I'm sticking to the free model!
A good way to earn money using RPG maker is to make adult games. Seriously, there's a boat load of them on Steam. They don't have a high price tag, but they seem to sell fairly well. :p

You want to make any other type of game, though, and you're in for a rough time. lol.

I got trapped in a "I want to make a commercial project" mindset for a few years. During that time I made very little, and I wasn't a happy bunny. My mind was filled with thoughts of "will others want this?" and "Will this sell?", and it robbed game making of all the joy it once gave me. I eventually stopped thinking that way and went back to making what I wanted, creating things I liked, etc.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had always wanted to make a game that will make people say "Came for the smut, stayed for the gameplay and story". That alone isn't really enough reason for me to start the creation process until an active market for adult games boomed in the last decade. Also, I have rather niche kinks which translates to 1) It's easy for me to target the specific niche audiences and 2) no games ever satisfy me fully so I had to take matters into my own hands to quench my own thirst.

Now, while I also enjoy the creative process like most others, I take game development very seriously in terms of career prospects - I'm not a hobbyist that can spend years of their life doing something just for fun. A good game also demands budget. Naturally I decided from Day 1 my project will be commercial and I will make sure it has the quality of one.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
idk, it's a definitely irrational, possibly self-destructive compulsion I am powerless to resist. I have tried to stop countless times over the two plus decades I've been doing this but I always wind up getting sucked back in. I literally can't not make games. I've tried.

also it's rewarding and fun.

edit: slightly more seriously, everything I've worked on in the last idk, decade or so, has been a remake, a sequel, a continuation, a reboot, or a reimagining of some idea I generated and first iterated on before I turned 18 like a kabillion years ago, I haven't had a truly new idea in a perilously long time, I just keep coming back to ideas and projects I've abandoned with new techniques and angles to try on them.

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What drives you to make a game?
I've always liked playing games since young. Figured I could make one myself, so here I am now. I like making things that I like.

If it's free, what's the point?
What is the point of anything?

My first few games probably aren't the best. Besides, even with free games, people can still donate if they want to. And even with paid games, people can still pirate the game. I don't really care about big profits so long as I can cover the cost of living and still do what I like. Besides, if I do eventually decide to charge for games later, the free games can act as a gateway game.

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I enjoy setting up ways to do things (such as reusable treasure chests or casualty removal and revival). I enjoy thinking up a basis for a game, but am less motivated in completing them. Fortunately, I usually enjoy play testing my uncompleted projects.

If ever I finish anything off, it will be available free. I don't create graphics (except by using the MV character generator). I make (up to now uncompleted) games that I want to play. Don't like the front view combat system? I do! Not fond of random encounters? I am, although I do try to do them sensibly.

One factor reducing likely-hood of output from me is that I have other hobbies. RPG game production tends to suffer when I am doing wargaming or active with my model railway.

During the 1980s I became aware of computer role-playing games, and found that I preferred them to games that I had been playing. I always wanted to play with a game creator for RPGs then, but never found a suitable one. The one that came closest was Bards Tale Construction Set, but I found it frustrating because had it been a little bit more flexible, it would have vastly better. What I wanted, but New World Computing never released, was a maker for games similar to Might & Magic III, IV and IV. RPG Maker is designed to make a slightly different type different type of game to my ideal, but it comes with a lot of RTP, which makes it worthwhile for me.

Mythical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My main driving point is that I have control over what happens. There are several RPG games that I love, but hated what happened during the storyline. At least this way, I don't have to watch my favourite character get killed off right before we fight the final boss, for instance.

Second driving point is that a lot of my preferred 'storylines'/character types are actually quite rare to find. People seemingly want more of them, but it's still a niche (from what I can see) category. Or, maybe it's not, it's just that people haven't yet noticed that market gap.

As for pricing... I haven't quite decided. Ideally, I'd love to charge a small price if I could create a game worth charging money for. But the end goal really would be reaching the people who want to play.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Some people, namely family members have asked why my game is free. I'm hesitant to go commercial for a variety of reasons.

First off is the monetary investment. My game does have the potential to sell, but then I'd have to dump more money into it to polish assets and scripts to bring it up to a level where I think someone would be willing to pay for it. I'd have to change my music and commission new music too.

I'm the only one working on it (with some ideas coming from my brother), so development is very slow. I do not have a time schedule or deadlines since this is just a hobby.

I just mentioned it, but making rpg maker games is just a hobby to use my creativity. I enjoy telling stories and making worlds/lore.

Honestly, I could probably sell my game on steam or whatever. It's a cyberpunk rpg, which has a market as shown by cyberpunk 2077 (even if it didn't live up to its promises). It's just that I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the next step beyond releasing for free, as it opens up a whole can of worms.

Shuutaa

The corgis lover.
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm a fan of this YouTuber (he didn't post anymore) so I want him to play my game, but my ideas are not suitable and not good enough (I don't know how to create puzzle, and the story is just sooooo cliché and cheesy) so I contacted with my friend who also interested in game-making but don't know how, to create a project. At first, they want the game to be simple and free, then I can see the efforts we put in and the potential of the game, so we discussed and decided to charge it.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, at first, it started with me wanting to make a Mega Man fangame. Then it became an anime fangame. And then I thought, why not just be the main character? And then life and fatigue got to me. Project canned. A few more new projects also got canned eventually. Part of me wanted to make a game to show off. Part of me wanted to make something I can be proud of. Part of me wanted to make my own character.
Upanhso.tk-31.gif

This time, I'm determined to finish what I started. I'll make something I can be proud of, for myself and those who like the same thing I do, with the characters I create myself. You want XYZ-type character? Sure. Make your own. Don't cry to anybody.

The best way to make your product accessible for everyone is to make it free. If someone is generous enough and like your game, they'll donate what they think it's worth.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My main reason for making a game is that I want to share my story and characters with an audience. Games (and especially roleplaying games) fascinate me in how they combine a narrative with gameplay, visual and auditive elements, which is why I want to turn my creative ideas into a game instead of a novel or another form of media. Making a game with RPG Maker is a form of creative self-expression to me, kind of.

I have a job with which I can provide for myself, so RPG Maker is more of a hobby. I don't think that I need to earn money from any of my hobbies. That's not their point.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I wanted, but New World Computing never released, was a maker for games similar to Might & Magic III, IV and IV.
Aww honey, that'd be GOLD! :kaoluv:

Soo, umm, what drives me is I wanna draw boobies, flowers, and make iddy-biddy people who 16 pixels tall wiggle their bums across the screen! And also, to make a cute-lookin' little flame, and make it go fizzle-puff when ya touch it! Soo basically... makin' stuff is really fun. :kaoluv::biggrin::biggrin:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Originally it was out of a desperate compulsion to document my childhood paracosm to psychologically compensate for not having lived up to the unrealistic academic expectations I and society had for me.

When it became evident that such a game would inevitably become another derivative, lore-obsessed, overcooked feature-creep the existence of which would just make everyone miserable (including myself), I abandoned the endeavor for awhile...

Then I discovered that I was transgender in early 2018, and I returned to RPG Maker, my project overhauled to instead pursue my spiteful, vindictive desire to drop an anvil on pop culture's toes.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

a lot of my maps and battlebacks are me redrawing base rpg maker mv stuff to match with my own artwork... sometimes it comes out ok lol.
Guess I had to do something related to xmas... :kaoswt2:
SWZtrkz.jpg
"16. Do NOT contact other members by private message, on the forum or status feed, inviting them to put additional tools (such as leaderboards, ads, etc - whether yours or another person's) into their game."
Oh no. Necessity is the mother of invention. Do I want to know what happened?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Homaniac