What drives you to make a game? If it's free, what's the point? If you charge for it, why?

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What drives you?

Well let's see. There's so many layers as to why I make video games, so I'll just list them out in no particular order:

• I have a story I want to tell, even if it's not something from the original universe I've cultivated for years now. Writing has always been my favorite hobby ever since I was young and I've been working on refining the skill to a razor's edge. This, more than anything else, is the reason I use RPG Maker. Omocat of Omori fame said it best when she said that RPG Maker is a DIY storytelling tool - the engine is my canvas.
    • An important aspect too is that I'm far more of a visual medium person than a textual one. I find it more intuitive to have characters act with body language during a cutscene than having to describe it on paper, essentially.
    • I wanna do a fun twist on a trope.
  • I want to make games that have the best versions of the qualities I like in other games, especially in regards to combat and convenience.
  • Studying how things work is my favorite past-time, and it gives me endless joy to see my experiments work out. Especially when I accomplish it on my own.
  • The idea that I'll have made something worthwhile to other people and something I can be proud of.
  • Sometimes someone whose project I like never gets their game off the ground, so to shake off that hollow feeling I use the inspiration I got to make my own spin and keep their idea alive in my own way.

Why do you charge or not charge for your games?

I'd charge as a way to compensate my efforts, but I'm also completely fine with not charging at all.

I don't really make games for monetary gain (that's what my actual future job is for), so it's more about the experience and seeing how different people react to my work than anything else.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do what I want!

It's that simple - I make my game because I wanna do it. I want a creative outlet, and I love making games.

I am a simple man :D

sb~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The challenge to actually complete a game is a major driving factor. I'm also hoping to complete a good game that I can be proud to show off to friends and family. So far I think I'm succeeding.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im just making a project to polish my own skills on the things i actually want to go commercial with, my art, so i just use the project as a practice to make assets from sprites with behaviours to busts and facesets, every map and scene is an exercise in the things i wanna sell, my project even if free is a showcase and a fun hobby to practice.

I also like to tell stories even if i cant make a 100% serious story no matter what :kaoswt2:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have never felt so attacked by a tree before :LZSlol: it took 10++ hours to make but at least it looks pretty LOL

Untitled-1.png
now seems like the worst time for me to need a better computer with how much stuff is costing. that and I don't thing there's much else I can do to make MV run any better with what I have.
Sigh... to have some variety in this weather. More than just sun and rain and wind and thunder.
In the meantime, I've discovered that I'm slowly becoming fatigued from the many sleepless nights my neighbors cause. Or at least their dogs. Always barking at something.
I might need a day to just sleep and recharge.
After the initial success with one event, I set up four different events on the same map to detect who is in which slot in my current party, and fortunately it managed to work as intended, with the events changing image to match the party members even as I swapped their positions around in formation. This will be a great tool for immersive scene design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlauza