CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, to say I have strongly mixed feelings about Hideo Kojima would be putting it mildly--my stance towards him in the very definition of ambivalence (a word that for most of my life I mistakenly thought meant indifference/apathy). I think he is very possibly a genius and at the same time almost certainly an idiot. I think he's one of the most fascinating auteurs working in the vidya medium and incredibly undisciplined and self-indulgent. I love the Metal Gear Solid series--even finding charm in the narm--but AFAIK everything else he's ever made is irrelevant, crap, or irrelevant crap: I'm not counting the original Metal Gear games in this, but frankly they were way too Nintendo-hard for me and seem most important as a historical footnote in the origins of MGS.

I sometimes think Kojima is an actual, LITERAL 100% not using hyperbole or exaggeration genuinely mentally ill crazy person...and that that's contributed to his unique artistry and thus my enjoyment of his work.

What the hell is Death Stranding? I don't mean the death stranding in the game, which up until I owned the game I thought was a conjugation of the verb "strand", not a plural noun. I kinda sorta get what that is. But the game itself...baffles me.

I have the game, I bought it for more than I could afford to spend, frankly, I've ATTEMPTED to play it twice, getting further the second time (an hour and change in) before shaking my head and putting it aside...I've spent an hour playing it and I have no idea what kind of game it is. Like, seriously, these are not rhetorical questions:
  • at some point in this game am I going to get a gun and be able to shoot things?
  • or a melee weapon and be able to hit things?
  • or is the entire game just literally a "hauling cargo over rough terrain" simulator, like Elite Dangerous but with walking instead of spaceships and no fighting?
  • Is this a horror game? There's lots of disturbing imagery but then... there is a major character that's a black man in a black mask named "Die-Hardman", which is like...mutually exclusive with taking anything else in the game seriously.
  • WTF is up with the baby?

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes u get a gun. and instead of incinerating dead bodies u could instead decide "i dont like this mountain" put dead body on it and couple hours later mountain is now a crater.

its 1 of those game with no middle ground. either like it or dont like it.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I said once in a youtube comment, that Kojima is like those novel writers that like to describe in the finest detail the depth of the wrinkles on the forehead of the protagonist at the moment of maximum exertion and suffering.

and Kojima does that, with a videogame.
except, instead of the depth, he mentions the origin of the ruler and the divergence of the different measurement systems until the rise of the metric system and the world struggle that followed.

.......yeah, I don't see the sense either,... but that's kind of what he does.
he goes from A to B, through Z, and via the numerical system.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wait for the pc version so never play it yet
but like all other game
you need to survive the intro part...
more likely if you pass the half of the game you will be fun
not a fan of kojima myself and kind of a little hater of kojima religious fan
but his game is not that bad you will fun with it if you survive the long boring gameplay intro part...

KanaX

Just being a mouse
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
Death Stranding is the friends we made along the way <3

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
(.......also, Death Stranding is *Kojima's production starring Norman Reedus, made by Kojima's own studio after Kojima was rejected by Konami when Konami cancelled Kojima's production starring Norman Reedus, that was to be set in the Silent Hill universe*. So... there's that too. *That*, is also what Death Stranding is.)

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, no, I didn't fail to notice his putting his own name in the credits of his game 57 friggin' times during the like-literally-two-hours-long credit sequence. It is the kind of thing that I'd be embarrassed to see an RM Dev do lol. But with Kojima? Man it's standard issue. My default joke format for this kind of egomania is:

Hideo Kojima Proudly Presents Hideo Kojima AS Hideo Kojima IN Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, Written, Produced, and Directed By Hideo Kojima, a Hideo Kojima Production.

And yes, I've been following the project since it was Silent Hills and BOY HOWDY is it not anything like Silent Hills. (Sadly, I never got to play the Silent Hills demo before the *******s at Konami got it yanked.)

Anyway, maybe it's not the best sign that this game makes me want to SHOOT SOMEONE, but as long as there's a gun in the game for me to shoot someone with I will soldier on. Eventually.

Also the idea of transforming the landscape with exploding corpses is really unique, gotta give Hideo that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've developed a habit of thanking cleaning ladies for their work.
Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.
I never noticed how NOISY birds can be in the morning..
The worst part of writing the thesis is getting to a point where it's nearly done and you feel like an 8th-grader could've written something on that level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stearen