What exactly is game atmosphere ?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Ultim, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ultim

Ultim Kartoffel. Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Hello all,

I just want my game to deliver great atmosphere.So I want to gather some info about what exactly is atmosphere,and what would you like to see or expect from a Dungeon Crawler/Adventure Game.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "Game Atmosphere" is the feeling that the game gives and especially how complete and uninterrupted it is.

The methods how to create the atmosphere are different depending on what kind of atmosphere you want - for example for a horror game you would want to have a dark and frigthening atmosphere - placing pink ponies into every map will not help that. However, the pink ponies will help a fun game made for young children.

So you need to decide what atmosphere you want before anyone can give you examples for how to create such an atmosphere.

Evan Finkel and Dreadshadow like this.
  3. Ultim

Ultim Kartoffel. Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    @Andar : Thanks.I aim to make an atmosphere suitable for a dungeon while staying satirical sometimes.The game objective is fairly straightforward : Reach the end of a lengendary path by crawling in dungeons and looting people and chests.

4. Feldschlacht IV

Feldschlacht IV Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I always felt that a big contributor of 'game atmosphere' is the writer's ability to convey a world beyond the immediate narrative. I like worlds like Suikoden and Dragon Age for giving the player a feel that the world is quite large and detailed, and there are things going on and have elapsed that were/are just as important as whatever the player is actually doing now, but they're stories for another time, so to say. It makes the world feel like a WORLD as opposited to just a play with props.

5. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Atmosphere is a combination of elements: the visual aesthetic, the music, writing, dialogue, pacing, etc.

The Mario games are bright and colorful, with whimsical characters and silly dialogue and playful music. Even the tension of the Bowser levels is playful and silly.

The Zelda games are bright and colorful in places, dark and spooky in others. They hit a balance between the whimsical and the serious. You get a sense of a big, open world of adventure and intrigue and fairytale magic.

Horror games like Evil Among Us are bleak, tense and oppressive. You feel your breath tighten right off the bat. Everything is geared to up that panic response.

whitesphere likes this.