What features would you like to see in an "online" RPG Maker game?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Yuuta Kirishima, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Yuuta Kirishima

Yuuta Kirishima Software Engineer/Professional Mayonnaise Player Veteran

First Language:
    Engilsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am currently developing a "multiplayer" game in RPG Maker MV i use the term multiplayer loosely because you won't necessarily have direct interaction with other players. I've already implemented some features and working on others(like a pvp like system that I am excited about), so aside from PVP what would be cool to have in a multiplayer RPG Maker game.

2. Evion

Evion Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ok so my dream and why i would use rpg maker since i love 2d games like secret of mana, final fantasy, and many others, would be to play with other people at the same time in the same game (multiplayer), but i also want to make a dungeons and dragons top down 2d game where the game master has control of the monsters and the payer have control of there characters in a turn based combat like D&D is for table top game, in a 2d world full maped out, with GM being able to change monster and player stats, like in D&D and so on, i already was told that this isnt possible unless im a pro programmer lol which im not, but would be nice if at lease we had multiplayer, secret of mana for a 3 player mode and its 2D why not RPG maker :)

3. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    One of the best things about MV is the character generator. So the ability for a user to submit their custom created character as their player avatar or as a party member would be great.

4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As far as a standard RPG Maker game goes, I think there are a lot of asynchronous online features that would actually take away from the game experience, like item trading or allowing someone else to complete a puzzle for you. This kind of thing shatters the fourth wall of gameplay, allowing progress or power to come from sources completely exogenous to your own interaction with the game.

With that being said, friendly PvP combat between my party and another player's party would probably be my most wanted feature for such a game. Since you asked for what might be cool beyond PvP, I think it would be really cool, in the right game, to be able to influence certain things in the game world for everyone who I've connected to, by doing certain things in the game world. Perhaps a very difficult sidequest allowed a new building to be built somewhere in the world, or introduced a new item to a shop, for everyone I've connected to. Perhaps I killed off an unimportant NPC and now they're gone for everyone else I'm connected to. Or even much smaller things, like being able to leave messages in dungeons for other players I've connected to, or influence NPC dialogue.

5. Evion

Evion Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    i understand this part, but in a dungeon and dragon game the players cant just play on there own, the GM has to be on and run the game with all players in the game, so no one would just go all over killing and taking items, it would be more controlled well thats what im hoping to build, just watch a D&D game on twitch youll get what i mean, after watching it imagine making that with rpg maker, pvp is cool too, i hope to see how it turns out.

6. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm well aware of how GMing works; I've been in a few roleplaying groups myself, and GMed one myself for about 40 sessions when the original GM needed to take a break. The huge difference in the game experience between Pen and Paper RPGs versus Videogame RPGs comes from the fact that there's no GM in a videogame to respond on the spot to anything that a player could possibly want to do. Because of that, the engagement comes from a completely different place - content instead of interactivity.

What I"m getting at is that the idea of a true P&P feel in a videogame sounds awesome, but it's never been completely achieved before. The closest videogames have really come to doing that is probably Neverwinter Nights, which provided the toolsets to create your own campaigns and run them as a GM in real time, controlling the world however you saw fit as you watched your players play. More often you see the mechanics of P&P games (like dice rolls) ported into a videogame without the engagement behind those mechanics - dice rolls without the opportunity to role-play bad rolls or pivot the course of the story on a dime ends up just meaning RNG frustration for videogame players, whereas in a live D&D session those bad rolls could create truly special and memorable moments.

kirbwarrior and Evion like this.
  7. kirbwarrior

kirbwarrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Kirby Mirror Mastery has probably my favorite form of multiplayer; integrated cooperation. You can play the game alone. Or you can connect with up to four friends and tackle the game at once. You can travel together and use the fact there are multiple of you to your advantage, or split up and beat worlds simultaneously.

I could absolutely see this working in a Pokemon style rpg. I could even see it working with a generic jrpg with some forethought.

However, I'm not certain what the style you are going for is. Are multiple players playing their own game and there is interactivity with other players (like MMOs)? Is one game going and all players efforts are pooled?

Wavelength likes this.
  8. Evion

Evion Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    more going like a dungeons and dragons style play where the game master runs the game, players can join and go on quest together or go on there own to do other things like screw the party over if they where evil, even join forces with NPCs and try to take over the world while fighting good and the good characters fighting evil as both sides of players can change the world as they travel, in an ever changing world if that was possible i know i know what im asking for is a game as huge as a real MMO but thats D&D/pathfinder, i dream to big huh lol, im also wanting to do the same with a pokemon game where players can change the world as they travel and then all the players would end up battling at the world stage for pokemon glory :)

9. mauvebutterfly

mauvebutterfly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Something relatively simple to implement (in the sense that your game would never have people interacting in real-time) would be what some visual novels and narrative-focused games do: keep a record of what choice the players make and then give them the total percentages of how other people made that same choice on their first playthroughs.

This is a trick that makes a single-player game feel a little bit more interactive since you still get to compare your progress and choices to those of others, even if it removes the competitive aspect of online interaction.

10. Raths Rants

Raths Rants Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As much as I would like to do a multi-player game. It really depends on the context. For RPG Maker I would say events that multiple people can contribute too. Completing a gather quest for example. 1,000 wood needs to be collected to build an upgrade town hall. Once it is completed it provides some sort of service or quality of life upgrade for all players.

Defeating areas and/or bosses. Several mobile games do this. Players have no real one-on-one interaction but they are able to contribute and rewarded for their level of participation.

Pretty much anything that can be done collectively by a community of players.