What features you want to have in an ATB system?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by DoubleX, Sep 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tiagoms

tiagoms Veteran Veteran

possibility of using "forced actions" during the battle, through a call "common event" without using ATB (or determine a cost).

Reason: Create skills "cooperatives" different.
    Example: Actor 1, using his ability, will make all allies with less than 20% health, attack a specific enemy. but none of the allies will have reduction in ATB.
    Example 2: Actor 1, using his ability, will cause the "Actor 2" perform a skill in "Actor 1" (enchantment). But the "Actor 2" will have no cost of ATB.

Of course, I believe (I am very amateurish programming) this can also be done can determine the cost of ATB of a skill.
    Example: Skill 1 = Costs 0% ATB.
    Skill 2 = + 20% ATB (or 20)
    Skill 3 = -20% ATB (or -20)

The idea came yesterday, while playing "Final Fantasy 9"

2. DoubleX

DoubleX Just a nameless weakling Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Another idea:

Premature Discharge

Under some conditions(like reaching a certain level) and trade offs(like reduced effects, increased cooldown time, increased skill/item cost), some skills/items can be prematurely executed before it finishes charging.

(Charging is the time between confirming a skill/item and actually executing it)

This opens a whole new dimension of depth, as now:

As long as the premature discharge conditions are met, players can control when to prematurely execute their charging skills after analyzing the trade offs, thus giving them lots of new strategies and tactics.

The same applies to enemies - they'll be much, much more dangerous if their AIs are excellent. Players now need to worry about enemy prematurely executing skills, meaning that the battle dynamics can be much, much more diverse.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's a good idea, although you may want to change the name to "Quick Charge" or "Early Hit" or something like that, because "Premature Discharge" can be taken to mean something... well, very sexual.

4. tiagoms

tiagoms Veteran Veteran

Doublex, I do not remember now questioned, but this script will be a "new script" (ex- doublex ATB Script v1.00) or will all addons already created?

example:
    (Script Editor)
    Yami ATB
    -Doublex Yami ATB Addon 1
    -Doublex Yami ATB Addon 2
    -Doublex Yami ATB Addon 3 ...

?

5. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just want to be able to do a reverse ATB (choose action, action charges, action executes, ATB bar empties, Chose another action) Without having to do an animated battle system...

basically, make victor sants ATB work without victor animated battle

6. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you're talking about implementing the atb features, then DoubleX RMVXA Enhanced YSA Battle System: Classical ATB already implemented most of what I can think of in 1 single script, and I also implemented addons to CATB to implement most of them.

Afaik, Victor's ATB and his animated battle can be used separately, but if you failed to do reverse ATB using Victor's ATB, you can still try using CATB:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/38568-some-hidden-ysa-battle-system-classical-atb-tips-and-tricks/

If that fails to serve your needs, you might even want to try ECATB(but it's extremely demanding to users):

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/38722-doublex-rmvxa-enhanced-ysa-battle-system-classical-atb/

7. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    are bloodyliao and moghunter on here?

8. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  9. tiagoms

tiagoms Veteran Veteran

Sorry, I'm having difficulty with English.
    Simply put:

You ask ideas for the script, but will be "1 script" or will new addons for the Yami?

example:
    **** "One Script"

Script Editor:
    Scene_Battler
    Scene_GameOver
    doublex ATB

or (Only addons)

Battle Scene
    Scene_GameOver
    Yami ATB
    - Doublex Addon 1 is Yami ATB
    - Doublex Addon 2 is Yami ATB
    - Doublex Addon 3 is Yami ATB

Sorry for my bad English.

10. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's both, the former's ECATB, and the latter's CATB addons. I'll support both :)

11. tiagoms

tiagoms Veteran Veteran

12. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Continuous flow of ATB:

So if you don't take an action, the enemy will keep going. Forces you to think on the fly and take quick action (which I like).

Shared ATB:

Takes the average agility of the party and when the gauge is full each party member takes an action (I just thought it would be unique, wouldn't use it personally).

13. tiagoms

tiagoms Veteran Veteran

I looked quickly, how to customize is very different (apparently) most scripts.

Initially freaked out, I will have to stop more calmly to understand.
    My level in RGSS3 is very low (yet). I decided to learn, but I'm learning to write a script for "jump" without bugs.

14. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What about the ability for actor A to give actor B a chunk of there ATB bar that would put actor B at full ATB

so let's say actor A had 100%

and actor B had 60%

Actor a would give 40% to actor B and be at 60%

combine this with different charge speeds, and you open up a whole new realm of strategy. Also, i don't belive this has been done before

15. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Indeed. Right now the only ATB system I know that supports this is DoubleX RMVXA Enhanced YSA Battle System: Classical ATB.

I think Continuous flow of ATB is a standard feature for a decent atb system(although Fomar's ones doesn't support that and it's still decent lol), otherwise it'll be extremely similar to ctb.

I think Shared ATB is a good idea, and I'd even let users to have full control of how the party atb's calculated(like average, minimum or maximum of all party member's atb), and I think the same can be applied to enemies as well.

16. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've come up with another idea(and implemented it in ECATB):

Battler Order Display

All battler's atb types and values are shown in the same bar, which includes the cooldown, atb and charge scetion, which are arranged from the left to the right. For example(ECATB):

[​IMG]
    This can be used to somehow replicate the CTB's battler order display, meaning an ATB system with this feature can be a closer emulation of a CTB system. This feature might also gives some players at least slightly better ideas of the possible battler action execution orders, helping them to make more informed and educated decisions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  17. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just had an idea. ATB bars have a max number, and theres a different number for each actor. This can increase/decrease depending on actions.

Yet, thats not all. It can also be used as a stat in stat formulas (the max number) that way,, actors whos ATB bar fills slower have a balancing mechanism in place. You could even indicate where its at, or max atb

Actions could increase/decrease the top as well.

Also, what about actions that could be carried out before the ATB meter is full? Maybe actions that effect the users stats or something sp they can adapt to the current situation

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  18. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd use atb gain rate(atb bar fill speed) instead of variable maximum atb value, as imo what really matters is the atb bar fill percentage.

I'd also use a gradual action point gain feature instead of being able to input actions before the atb meter's full.

Suppose a battler's maximum action points are x. Instead of gaining all the x action points when the atb meter's full, 1 action point's gained whenever the atb meter's full, until x action points are reached. If x action points aren't reached yet, the atb meter will be reset as empty right after gaining 1 action point.

While being able to carry out actions before the ATB meter is a more powerful feature imo, it can also be more likely to end up being too complicated for many players :)

19. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    ATB fill speed cant mesure a targets current percentage for damage formulas. Nor does it give a catch up feature for slower filled atb actors/enemies

Having a max atb number means you can use it in damage formulas

20. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Then I'd use the atb fill percentage as well. Thanks for reminding that.

To implement a catch up feature for slower filled atb battlers, just cache the atb fill speed(any effective and efficient atb system script will cache it somehow) and let users read that cached atb fill speed.

For example, to make a skill such that the slower its user's atb fill speed, the more damage it'll carry out, just set its damage formula as something like this:

damage_formula / a.atb_fill_speedTo make a skill such that the higher its target's atb fill percentage, the more damage it'll carry out as well, just change its damage formula as something like this:

Code:
    damage_formula * b.atb_fill_percentage / a.atb_fill_speed