What Font Should I Use?

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by DeathByGames, May 7, 2017.

1. DeathByGames

DeathByGames Swaggy Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I'm am throwing together a demo for my next project and I need help choosing which font I should use. I need a font that doesn't look too silly, but at the same time is not to serious. The game itself is not going to be typical a RPG, (Maybe not even an RPG) so I don't want a really fancy looking font either. I also want the font to be easy to read, since the game is going to be text oriented. VCR OSD Mono is the perfect font for what I'm looking for.

ss_vcr-osd-mono.png

The only problem with using this font is its use in the game LISA. LISA is one of the bigger RPG Maker games, and I feel using the same font as it would deplete credibility for my game. I dunno if I'm just worrying over nothing, but I have spent some time looking for other fonts.

The first one that worked was a font called Final Fantasy 3/6:

ss_final-fantasy-36.png

It works, but I feel it is a little squished in the actual game.
    Another one I found is Mars Needs Cunnilingus:

ss_mars-needs-cunnilingus.png

It's a nice font, but is a tad hard to read in game.
    The last one I found is simply titled Minecraft:

ss_minecraft.png

This works really well in game, but I feel it a little basic.

I want to know which of these fonts work the best, or if using VCR OSD Mono would make the game feel too LISA inspired. If you know of any other fonts that would work as a substitute for VCR OSD Mono, I would love to know them!

2. Guiguimu

Guiguimu The best revenge is massive success Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sometimes basic it's the best answer. I prefer playing a game where I could understand the words XD
    Definitely, number 3 is out in my opinion.
    Why don't you use something even more simple? Like Arial or Verdana, those go well in pretty much everywhere.
    About the ones you have shown, Minecraft seems the better one, but FF works too.

3. DeathByGames

DeathByGames Swaggy Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    So I tried the two fonts you recommended, and they worked but they seem a little too plain. The look I'm going for is unique and easy to read. The Minecraft one would of course work fine, but if you have any suggestions for more unique ones I am open to try them :)

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    General Discussion is not for discussing individual, specific projects but more general themes.

I've moved this thread to Resource Requests . Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.