What forms of government do you include in your game?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, RPG maker developers.
I want to talk more about this topic, although the topic has been discussed in the past.
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...vernments-do-you-include-in-your-games.56139/

Most of RPG I have played it has an absolute monarchy government which is only a government system, and most local government has magistrates.

What are your innovative or creative governments in your game? I would like to hear from you and learn from your perspective.:LZSyum:
How do you implement those governments in general? (do you show the player government operation? do just tell the player with NPCs?)

[My experience bias obersavation] The rare form of government that is hard to come by in RPG games is the democracy. I guess it is difficult to create interesting multiple characters at one location.

The basic form of government is an autocracy, aristocracy, monarchy, anarchy, democracy, and republics.

Last edited:

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other
Bhavacakra Adventures (linked in my signature) has few government types.

1. Traditionally monarchy
2. Republic
3. Merchant republic
4. Theocracy

Two Clusters Kain (also linked in my signature) has ...

1. Dictatorship
2. An identical copy of USA's political system <- I even wrote few pages of Lore for it if you are interested. Here.
3. Aristocracy <- Lore file here.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mine depends on the territory. Elmwood (where most of the first game I made in that world takes place) uses a council of members composed of one from each city, and one overall leader as well. The leader mainly dictates policy, but if they get out of line, the council can vote them out of power, or in an extreme case declare them an exile, which gives them 24 hours to leave the area or their life is forfeit.

The Dwarfen Kingdom, which is adjacent to Elmwood uses a monarchy. None of the other kingdoms in my world are in my first game so I haven't set up the lore for them yet as it doesn't come up at all in the first game.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am still writing up the various "governments" or their equivalents active in my world, because while the story of my game only happens on one island; I want to write the story cognizant of the world beyond the borders of the island that it occurs on. & not just the human governments, but the governmental structures of the various other races.

Also I try to be cognizant of how "politics" is shaped by & in turn shapes culture & religion. That is to say, I try to ask myself, how a given people given their region of habitation, cultural norms, & religious beliefs, would organize themselves politically speaking. Which is why I've been drawing up maps of the world my game occurs in, even though 99.9% of the world the player won't explore at all in this entry of the series.

So that I can actually see things to consider when writing lore. For example where are they in relation to other groups geographically speaking? What are the biomes of their native lands? What are the majority terrain features of their territory? What major rivers & lakes are present in their territory? Do they share these major lakes & rivers with any other civilizations? How much of their territory is inland versus how much of it is coastal? Are their coasts bordering on major oceans where great distances exist between it & nearest landmasses, like the distance between the pacific coast of the Americas & the various islands that arrayed far out in the ocean? Or are their coasts near the coast of other groups, creating a region similar to the mediterranean during the time of Greeks, Romans, Phoenicians, etcetera?

There is also the question of biology to consider, how due the biological differences between humanity & the various other species you populate your world with, impact them culturally, religiously, & yes politically?

For example, my Elves are actually rather akin to Anarcho-Primitives/Anarcho-Communists because it's the kind of governmental structure that seems most compatible with the cultural & religious beliefs that I've given. Coupled with their longer lives giving them a kind of "long view" relationship with their environments.

My Ratmen, who I haven't come up with an actual species name for them to refer to themselves by, on the other hand; are a rather bizarre mix of Matriarchal Theocracy, anarcho capitalism, & extreme social Darwinism. Largely stemming from their biology & religious myths.

For my Dwarves, they are a hyper-meritocratic culture of clannish ancestor worshippers; who function largely as a loose confederation of insular city states. Essentially imagine a society run entirely by midget football hooligans, who when they aren't talking trash about the other town's team, all act like the Disappointed Asian Father Meme.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@sura_tc, thank you for sharing your thought with me and nice to meet you.
@bgillisp, good to hear from you and your game sounds awesome.
@XIIIthHarbinger, I enjoy reading your post and thank you for sharing your thought

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My game takes place between three countries. A Theocracy run by up to 4 demigod-like people, a Totalitarian Monarchy run by a bitter and jaded queen, and a Parliamentary Monarchy that eventually gets conquered. The main antagonist of my game is also a bit of an Anarchist, which kind of brings up a good reason to stop him!

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other
In general, government types should dictate how people (or NPCs) speak and react.

Their day-to-day concerns and interests would closely be related to government types as well.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll add some more of the lore as well for mine now that I got a few more minutes, it shows some of the other governments the world used, and might help you with ideas too.

Originally the world was ruled by the elves, but then someone known as the Dark One arose and terrorized the world. Eventually the Dark One was defeated, and the heroes who led the defeat founded kingdoms as the people loved them and would follow them anywhere, and they hated the elves who had been ruling them (as the elves had grown arrogant and treated non-elves like scum). The elves resented being cast aside like this, and still feel they are the rightful rulers of the races, as mere humans (as they put it) are not fit to rule. And don't get them started on what they think about the Dwarfs.

Despite the elven arrogance, and much to their dismay, this system has lasted 441 years now. Those kingdoms evolved as the heroes aged and died, and some went to war to find a new leader as the succession wasn't clear, and others did just fine. Elmwood's system I mentioned earlier was founded after a king died without an heir, so it fractured into a bunch of city-states, who eventually banded together into the council that they have now so they would work together and prosper.

Also, the world is in the middle of a tech revolution, as the railroad exists now in some areas. Of course the elves see these gadgets as useless and it will never catch on, just ride a dragon like everyone else. Plus, the land has been mostly free from war in the last 100 years, and with the Magi school flourishing in the world, people are getting educated now. This is leading some to question the government in some areas, something they used to not dare to do before. Where does it lead? Well, that happens over the games I have planned for the world, IF I can make all of them (3 are planned for the main story + right now there are 2 side story games in the works too).

liviticus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

For my current project Malifex, I am using three different governments.

Monarchy
Merchant Republic
Clan

If it helps, I find creating the lore first and imaging how a government would fit into that culture. Even if the government doesn't for the culture it can provide motivation for change or an intresting history.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank you for participating and nice to meet you @Redeye and @liviticus
Good reading from your post. It lights my day up.

MMMm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Typically I just use a generic fantasy kingdom. More thought is put into it only if it's plot relevant.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's see my current world has ;
An empire co-ruled by both emperor and senate, A khalifate, A traditional Kingdom, an islands nation ruled by council ,tribal lands, A Kingdom based on ancient Ireland with several kings and A high King and A few others yet not fleshed out.

I tend to ga A bit overboard on these things and it's always guessing which nations will actually make it in the game but I usually do have their identities worked out one way or another based in real historical references spiced up A bit with my own ideas on what fits

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never really put much thought into having an established government, ruling figure, or group/council in any of my projects. Mostly, it's just an assumption that someone out there is making the rules/laws. I also find the typical monarchy or empire implementation a bit stale. Usually it's one of the things that turns me away from a game unless it's really well done. Or at the very least, such a miniscule part of the storyline that it can basically be ignored.

One project I worked on for a long time had the concept of several provinces that worked together and traded, etc. And there was one evergrowing evil force that didn't really care about "taking over" but rather eradicating everyone else no matter the cost. They didn't gain anything from it really, but just did it because they knew they could.

If I had to choose a governmental system to implement, it would probably be one where each country is self sustaining (no imports/exports or trade routes). So they really don't care to create conflicts with others. Each would not be "ruled" per se, but rather citizens kept in check and protected by a law enforcement entity of some kind. And then as the player, you could freely travel and choose who to help and when.

The whole idea really reminds me of Skyrim's system of government. They really weren't influenced by the Empire, and each hold basically tolerated the others and sometimes worked together when necessary. And you were never really forced to deal with or answer to the Jarls or their councils. Taking part in the war effort was about as close as you came to government.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MMMm, thank you for visit this thread

@Finnuval, great to you again and thank you for your ideas

@JGreene, I agree that the government operation can only be seen in limited player view or only reference. I also agree that if your characters do not involve with the government, they should not meet with the authority.

Notes: The game government forming is more about mapping the building, people in a city, and different quests. The different states have a different tendency to certain actions and interests.
I think the city should have an authority figure such as (President, a High Council, or king) in which players can get important quests from them.
I believe in order to make a believable town, it has to have some kind of government building and a government worker.

mauvebutterfly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see so many people doing all this world building with lore, and here I'm just making a simple dungeon crawler. Hopefully I'll get some story for my next project.

Just a dungeon, so I guess the local government would be Anarchy. Or possibly warlords ruling over various bands of monsters. There is no set overlord of the dungeon, so there isn't a central authority among all the monsters. Definitely a more story-driven dungeon crawl could have a use for a government, or even various governments.

The town at the surface exists as a place to dump your gold, so maybe they're Anarcho-Capitalists? Haven't really thought about it too much, but you aren't taxed on your treasure gains, so if it is a Monarchy in the human kingdoms the king doesn't have any control over this town.

Actually, that makes me curious. Has there ever been a good use of taxation in an RPG that didn't just upset the players? PC privileges seem to entail that no matter what the government type is of the friendly kingdoms they are somehow exempt from most of the laws.

Do government systems ever impact gameplay? Or are they mostly just there for lore or story purposes? I can't really think of any examples where the system of government couldn't just be switched to something else without impacting the gameplay.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mauvebutterfly , I hear some people use taxation (shop tax) in their game, but I do know to how they did it. Players have PC privileges, but some nations are allies antagonists which will haunt down the main protagonist. The reason is you're breaking their laws (because evil sides make their own rules)because of the main characters rebellion against them and ruin their plan to dominance the world.

You ask the questions:"Do government systems ever impact gameplay? Or are they mostly just there for lore or story purposes? "
I believe if you have your democracy country, how could you have a quest to recruit to a royalty member from danger. It is also about mapping rationally building such as president house do not have weapons or the regalias on it.

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
In the land of Riorde, there are three major noble Houses which swear fealty to the Big Bad, a man who actually does not style himself as "King" despite Riorde being historically considered a Kingdom. The three Houses are distantly related branches of House Riordan, for which the land is named, or possibly the other way around. Each of the Houses has a blood-claim to the throne, and any interregnum is marked by brutal civil war. To maintain peace and his own rule over Riorde the Wizard-King Shiarnax made himself into a Lich to rule in perpetuity as a God-King. During the three centuries of his reign, he's even developed a devoted cult despite his brutal tyranny.

The other three Houses consist of the mage-lords of House Korin (symbolized by the Yellow Owl), the pious knights of House Hrakon (symbolized by the Red Stallion), and the rich privateers of House Aterre (symbolized by the Blue Orca) each of which must swear fealty to the Lich Shiarnax. The Lich has his own fanatically loyal armies all over Riorde to keep the other Houses in check and fighting each other over their own little corners of Riorde.

They are involved in a kingmaking questline in which the player determines which of the three will rule Riorde after the Lich Shiarnax is destroyed. I imagine the player will find themselves titled during this questline under the auspices of whichever house they choose to support, similar to Morrowind and Skyrim.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My games tend to have rather small physical scopes (as opposed to most RPGs which let you explore multiple continents which may have several different styles of government as a place-building element), so there is generally just one government style (or in certain settings, no government) in play.

Out of the games that I am currently working on or have written out the designs for:
  • One takes place in a messy, well-meaning but slightly corrupt, representative democracy. Most of the action takes place in a single small town, where an elected mayor actively runs the town and sets its wider priorities, with a lot of help from the whole community. She has a rather hard time getting help from the larger government bodies when things go awry.
  • One takes place in that same town, but all of the characters are school-age kids with much smaller goals, so while a couple world-building elements related to government are implied, the government is completely irrelevant in this story.
  • One takes place in that same world - but in another country, which is a very poor totalitarian nightmare led by a competent, Machiavellian strong-arm dictator, with de-facto local governance from rival gangs/factions that a lot of people need to join in order to get by. And that democracy from the other game happens to get involved with things here before the end, too.
  • One takes place in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic world where the world has broken down into what could best be described as modern tribes. Often someone is 'leading' these tribes, but not in a formal position. There is no central government of any kind, and communication is very spotty. Most tribes are willing to cooperate with each other, but it's hard to build trust since there's no one to enforce agreements or prevent backstabbing.
  • One takes place in a virtual video-game world. There is no government whatsoever, but NPCs, by nature, must act in accordance with certain rules - such as a shopkeeper cannot help you without accepting payment.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just bump because new members might bring a fresh perspective to this discussion board. Nice to know you all wonderful people. [It is not against the rules here except if I poste on the support area. If you do not believe me as the moderators right now lol.]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Today's the day I post my demo!
I am having a great day today humans! May your day be great too! Praise the altar.
Recently discovered that an old member called "Kaus" stole some tilesets from other games, claim as yours, and some people associate his nick with mine. Besides having the same name, he was publishing tilesets too. Bad luck? Guess maybe I'll need to change my nickname... :(

My best practices for a new amazing plugin by this author https://kagedesuworkshop.blogspot.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saediga