What game engines did you use ?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Kupotepo, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPG maker engines do not count. Do you like in it ? Do you suggest that I should look into it ? I ask because I want expand my knowledge from direct experience. Look and do not tell moderators, RPG maker can do amazing if you would like to make RPG games. However, if you want to 3d game, steaegy or card game. It would hard to do without modified everything which is esseally the software to begin with.

If anyone want to say something, I would be appreciated that.

2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unity: Easy enough, free, very powerful, great for 2D, great for 3D (with the new 2018 updates), C# code (new job system, haven't checked it out yet).

Unreal Engine 4: Gorgeous graphices (the default graphics are better than unity's default graphics), amazing blueprint system, create visual coding, c++ (so gotta do memory and garbage collection), harder for small teams than unity, no 2D engine I think (not sure about that one), free, but they take 5% on income after 3000$/trimester.

I haven't tried other engine, but I know there are other 3D engine that as good as unity and unreal engine 4.

As for the modeling software, I only use blender. 3D modeling isn't my specialty, but I sometimes do it and can manage. Blender is completely free and can pretty do anything you need for a 3D game. However, the UI is kinda complicated and not intuitive. There is a learning curve. Also, I heard they're removing the game engine from blender in version 2.8 (not that it's a big loss since almost no one was using it).

If you want to go 2D, unity is the best choice. Or you could stay on RPG Maker, which is still very good (since you can do almost anything if you can code) and which includes amazing default assets (an advantage over unity, but unity's asset store is huge and there are some free assets, but it's not coherent in style and quality like rpg maker).

Kupotepo likes this.
  3. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    SRPG Studio.

(Also, my 1000th post!!!)

Kupotepo likes this.
  4. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28, I thought digital arts is superior to canvas javascript drawing. I think assets specialization attach people to pick different game engine over other. Do you think play pc or mobile game more?

@JtheDuelist and @MushroomCake28, I read a lot about game design. People say this person say that like some do know to use the game engine or they just use to read from other people experience. I am very confused over this and every time I have to buy something.

5. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    SRPG Studio does Fire Emblem/FF Tactics style games.

6. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    SRPG Studio is still lack of assets. Don't you think?

JtheDuelist likes this.
  7. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Compared to RPG Maker, yes. But for its small user base, it does not lack anywhere (heck, new scripts are being made daily).

8. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kupotepo The "best" game engine is very subjective and varies from person to person. That's why you're getting different opinions. In the end, the truth is that people have strengths and weaknesses, different needs, different visions, etc. For everyone, there is an engine that is suitable.

The ones I listed are mainly for 3D games (meaning 3D models and rasterisation rendering), but of course there are others.

As for the assets, it's always better to create them yourselves to make your game unique. But some people prefer taking free assets or paying for some, which is also totally fine. In that scenario, the community around their engine is more important. But if you don't need to take pre-existing assets, you can complete ignore the "available assets for an engine" aspect.

9. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28, I am not as talented as you yet so I need to buy and find resources on the websites. Do you draw your own arts? If so draw the big picture and then resize so it would you lose the resolution.

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  10. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not sure if a discussion of another game engine is acceptable here. But here's mine

Unity: if I'm going serious on game developing, I think I'm going with this. The versatility is far beyond RM with a lot of built-in functions to calculate physics, and 3D supports (although the performance is somewhat questionable). It's a good game engine with similar suffering as MV, which constants update that makes the previous build stopped working.

Game Maker 8: Although it doesn't exist now, it was used to be my fave game engine. The GM scripting language was far simpler compared to RGSS. It's shame though, since the time I tried GM8, I didn't have the necessary coding skill to understand the rest of the engine.

Gosu: A stand-alone Ruby scripting game engine. Imagine RGSS but without the need to open RM editor all time. I didn't manage to make anything out of it though.

11. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheoAllen, you can talk about many game engines except RPG maker engines because many of us are already use it.

12. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Comparing is the easiest way to talk about other engines because the reason you stated,

13. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kupotepo I don't draw (well, not well), but I do create models in 3D using blender. So ironically, the art would be easier for me in a 3D engine than in a 2D engine lol.

As for the picture resolution, as long as it's reasonable it doesn't matter much. You won't get much more detail from going from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048 on a anime/cartoon image since there isn't much texture and details. Sure it will be a bit better, but nothing too noticeable. Resolution impacts FAR MORE 3D models when they get rendered.

@TheoAllen Unity's performance is better with the 2018 update apparently. They redid completely their rendering engine this year, and the graphics result is much closer to Unreal Engine 4 than before (UE4 still has better default graphices). However, they added the ability for users to code and modify the render pipeline, which gives users an incredible control over the rendering process.

14. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    RPGXP, RPGVX, RPGVXACE, RPGMV, SGBuilder, SRPG Studio, PMMV, GMS, GMS2, Godon, Unity

15. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Isabella Ava, why do you list the stuff? Do you use it in the past?

16. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey, yep, i used those one in the past. My 1st favorite is GMS and 2nd is RPGMV : )

Kupotepo likes this.
  17. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you all of you for help me find many answers today.