What Game has your favorite story?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by eat beans, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. eat beans

eat beans A being of pure evil Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What game’s story was your favorite? RPG Maker or otherwise.

2. Halfdan

Halfdan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    mhm..really liked the Witcher and MGS Series storywise.

3. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing tops Xenogears for me, below that one i really enjoyed MGS3, Drakengard and Ar Nosurge.

Jhale M. likes this.
  4. 9gramsofpersonality

9gramsofpersonality Metaphysicist Member

In space (what? I occupy 3 spatial dimensions :P)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ohhhh I have quite a few (RPG Maker or otherwise); I don't usually get into RPGs unless I really like the story! But if I had to choose, I'm going to say the Trails in the Sky trilogy. Though if we talk the entirety of the Trails games I've played and include the Cold Steel games (which I still enjoy, just not as much), it averages out to a bit below the Elder Scrolls series (I'm a sucker for weird lore :p). But if we're talking one single standalone game, I'll have to give it to Undertale XD

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  5. swolfie

swolfie Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me one of my all time favorite stories in a game would have to be Star ocean till the end of time.

6. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I think my favorite story is Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. I guess that is partly because of the music being so great that it strengthens the story. Other candidates would be Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2 and maybe Persona 3 also (haven't played other Shin Megami Tensei games). Despite Shin Megami Tensei 1 having such minimalistic story telling, the few stand out ideas felt like such a breath of fresh air and it is a fun origin story.

Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  7. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have quite a few favorites story-wise.

Persona 5
    Chrono Trigger
    Eternal Senia (free RPG Maker game on Steam)
    Tales of Berseria
    Tales of Zestiria
    Witcher 3
    Darksiders (got this game recently... and I seriously regret not buying this years earlier)
    Half Life 2
    Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
    Bioshock Infinite (has one of my favorite endings ever)
    Mass Effect 1-3 (except for 3's ending...)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (all 3). I'm not much of a CoD player, but those 3 games were amazing IMO.
    Doom (2016)
    Murdered: Soul Suspect (this game is underrated IMO)

8. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, favorite story. That's a difficult one to call. Probably, if I had to pick an absolute it'd be Final Fantasy Tactics. Not so much of a fan of how the endgame goes (it's alright, but could do with a tad less fantasy god war stuff) but it's a consistently great political thriller from the onset that only gets better as it ramps up. Delita Hyrule is hands down my favorite villain (arguably antihero) in gaming history, and a lot of my runner ups for that title are from FFT as well (Weigraf Follies, Dycedarg Beulve). Plus at the end of the day I have to say it takes balls to take a mainstream series like FF (even an offshoot) and let the puppet master villain actually win out in the end. When I saw Olivia die and the credits roll for the first time...man. A game has never impressed me with its narrative to that degree before, and few have come close since. We need more Yasumi Matsunos in game design.

Others that compare:
    • Suikoden 2 (Though I don't get what others see in Luca Blight, he was a subpar villain in an otherwise solid story imo)
    • Legend of Dragoon (first rpg I ever played, so maybe a bit of Nostalgia tinting here)
    • Dragon Age: Origins (Only Origins; unfortunately every stride the sequels made mechanically the story seemed to suffer for)
    • ME Trilogy (I am one of the very few who actually respect the way it ended)
    • Witcher Trilogy (the only case I've ever seen where I truly believe the adaptation surpasses the original medium it draws from)
    • Murdered: Soul Suspect (Definitely underrated, but I can understand why. Truth is it wasn't a good game, would've been a great VN though.)
    • Spec Ops: The Line (Would have been a gaming legend if it didn't suffer so much flak from the crappy, tacked on multiplayer)
    • Deus Ex (another that's sequels suffer from plot slippage. The current games don't know what they want to say, the original was quite thought provoking however)
    • Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (when it's not being batshit crazy it's a pretty solid story with a lot of variables to it. Game is buggy as hell though)
    • Fallout: New Vegas-The Inheritance mod (Something uniquely satisfying about playing wasteland philanthropist and opening up orphanages and drug clinics with your hard earned blood money...something just straight up Fallout about the cruel fruits that altruism usually bears)
    • To the Moon (had to get an rpgm in there somewhere: tis a beautiful dream...and this is from a guy who absolutely hates the whole mechanical dreamscape plot device. It was a sheep plot device when assassin's creed did it, it was shitty in inception...but it's tolerable in to the moon because of the substance that is its story)
    • Golden sun 1-2 (Felix is my favorite antihero. Helps destroy his own home, kidnaps his own family and goes to war against his village, his friends and their god in order to save the world from ruin. The only black mark is that by all accounts Alex should have won, that last minute Deus Ex Machina from the formerly hostile "wise one" at the end was bs, otherwise the game might have rivaled fft for me)
    @swolfie Really? What was it that drew you in story-wise? (not trying to be an ass, just curious). For me it was a decent but not extraordinary jrpg until one particular 4th wall breaking inception-like plot twist completely killed my desire to keep going and I shut it down and never could quite make myself continue. Now I'm wondering if I shelved it prematurely or if it's just a complete dichotomy in narrative preference.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Jhale M. likes this.
  9. swolfie

swolfie Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually liked the 4th wall part

But for me I loved the character interactions
    And the different worlds that were shown
    And liked to see how different eras responded to them.
    To me the story was more about the group then the ending

Now maybe I’m biased cause it’s the first game I was really obsessed with but the story and especially the ending always seemed awesome to me