GuipenguinTheMaster

LV 2 Moss Finder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorites are the ones that inspired me to make games.
Those being:
Epic Battle Fantasy 5, Final Fantasy 7, Mother 3, Chrono Trigger, Stardew Valley, Pokémon Black and White/Black 2 and White 2, Kirby And The Amazing Mirror, Undertale/Deltarune, Shin Megami Tensei Series and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Last edited:

GuipenguinTheMaster

LV 2 Moss Finder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not yet. Honestly more interested in Deltarune, since two of the playable characters are anthros/monsters.
I commented Undertale because it seems like the exact type of game you're looking for, and Deltarune is better suited for people who have already beaten Undertale once.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I commented Undertale because it seems like the exact type of game you're looking for, and Deltarune is better suited for people who have already beaten Undertale once.
Meh. The RPGs I tend to like have playable characters besides humans. It's why I said I might like Deltarune more. Plus, regardless of alignment, it still bothers me that most of the monsters in undertale, even the ones that are supposed to be good guys, have to be antagonistic and fought at one point in the rpg.

Nenen

Unproven Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm... If I were to think about it, it's actually a slightly convoluted, and longer then I thought, tale :p

My introduction to the idea of making games might be playing around on Roblox (being that the whole advertisement tagline that started me there back in 2009 was "build you own world"). But that wasn't too serious an effort, you could say.

Later however, after the MMORPG LEGO Universe was shut down, I actually joined a fan-remake team as a QA tester. And that was (sorta) my introduction to the slightly more serious and quite difficult side of game development. (The project switched to a pure fan-game project before ultimately ending completely) It was after this I believe when I seriously thought about actually making games.

Years pass, and I had bought the first and second KotOR games at a thrift store. And I fell in love with the RPG genre (and actually realized it was a thing :p) thanks to the first game. I remember spending hours exploring every nook and cranny, and conversing with the party characters. I realized the amazing storytelling possibilities with RPGs, and knew that this was what I wanted to make if anything. (I actually have a notebook with some improvements I thought up while playing)

However, I was reading up a lot on game development, and soon learned and realized that RPGs are not quite a beginner friendly thing to make.

There's an extra wrinkle, years before nearly any of these (except MAYBE Roblox, though I feel even that came after this) I had played an Online Shockwave BIONICLE RPG by LEGO called Voya Nui (the name of the Island it's set on). I spent hours on it, not really caring what genre it was part of, just thinking it's a fun game.
I'm a big LEGO fan if you can't tell, :LZSwink: , and the lore and story of Bionicle specifically was a big part of my childhood (not so much the toys for some reason, I generally played with the more standard LEGOs)

Well anyways, around 2019, I see an RPGMaker book (for VX) at my local library, and this idea of remaking that Voya Nui game as a proper Party-based, Grid-based Combat, Bionicle (or inspired by it) RPG comes to mind. But I didn't check it out at first, but I finally did...
Anyways, due to a lack of support for grid-based combat in RPGmaker out-of-the-box, that idea was shelved.

Finally, the free games bundles that Degica collected really sold me on the engine's possiblities. Whether it was the short but sweet Aetherion, the amazing I Miss The Sunrise, the great Star-Stealing Prince, or the fun Homework Saleman. I was amazed at these great examples of creativity that I could play for free :p
And the community here has kept me with RM until now, when I've finally started to work on projects a lot more seriously. RPGs are still a crazy place to start deving, but I know that it doesn't have to start there with RM's versatility.

This is probably my most in-depth RM origin story to date :kaopride:

Pixel_Maiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Crappy AAA video games unironically.

Im so sick of them i decided to make my own games to play.
Honestly, part of it was a particular interest, but most of it was just modern RPGs in general. They're all the same: just a band of human-sues that people expect me to be able to relate to, usually going around killing EVERYTHING in their path for a goal that benifits literally nothing but humans, usually at the expense of most or virtually all other creatures, but that's okay because if it's not human or a really common pet animal, it's probably evil anyway. ...Because that's how the world is. Mostly, I just want to see something different, even if it's a gimmicky fatfur game or a game about cute arctic creatures or woodland creatures or, just, something different in general, cause, honestly, I've just grown sick and disgusted by modern games/JRPGs in general, and I just... have to live with it ecause I'm always the loser. :(
Try Ys Origins / VIII or Xenoblade Chronicles X. Those are pretty good modern JRPGs.

fungolem

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Metal max series inspire my current project, too bad I don't have to skill to recreate/mimic it's battle system. Suikoden series and Rdiata stories too, I like games with a lot of companions.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
>Bionicle
>Lego Universe

welp, you've said almost everything i was gonna say; the rest (Pokemon) having been said by everyone else in the thread. lol

EDIT: Wait, I tell a lie, actually. There is but one more thing that serves as the primordial muse upon which my activity within RPG Maker is spurred on by, and its name is JOHN CENA *CUE MEME MUSIC* Wizard 101.

Arctica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've forgotten. I only know my game is gonna be based a bit on Suikoden.

Nenen

Unproven Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
>Bionicle
>Lego Universe

welp, you've said almost everything i was gonna say; the rest (Pokemon) having been said by everyone else in the thread. lol

EDIT: Wait, I tell a lie, actually. There is but one more thing that serves as the primordial muse upon which my activity within RPG Maker is spurred on by, and its name is JOHN CENA *CUE MEME MUSIC* Wizard 101.
Actually, I'd be very curious to hear your specific tale on how Bionicle and LEGO Universe (along with Pokémon and John Cena :p) got you into using RM.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, I'd be very curious to hear your specific tale on how Bionicle and LEGO Universe (along with Pokémon and John Cena :p) got you into using RM.
The John Cena part was merely an elaborate joke at the expense of my own word choice; hence the crossout.

There's not much story to tell, tbh. I grew up with Lego (of which Bonkle & Lego Universe were my favorites of the bunch), which is what engendered a deep-seated desire within me to make things. I grew up with Pokemon & Wizard 101, so naturally my interests in videogames err to the side of player customization and turn-based decision-making.

Last edited:

SundialShark

To Idyllic Times
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Two games: Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) by Level 5 (2000-2003).

Runner-ups are: Final Fantasy X/X-2, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon (Gen 3 in particular), and Dragon Quest.

Dark Cloud is everything I've ever wanted out of an RPG... evolving weapons, enriching story, INSANE replayability, random dungeons, rebuilding destroyed towns in with the Georama system, playing with the butterfly effect a little by going back and forth through time...

There's no other game like it in the market and there probably never will.

That is, until I got my hands on game development. I thought it'd be cool to make a game with Chrono Trigger's battle system but with Dark Cloud's town building. And if you've looked up anything I've done, that's exactly what I'm doing. While I can't be exactly like my heroes at Level 5, I have enough confidence now that I'm on a path to getting somewhere close.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Xenoblade, Persona and Trails series for me into game development. Although, playing RPG Maker 3 on PS2 and watching RPG Maker games let's plays by Manly Badass Hero got into RPG Maker itself.

LisaW

☆彡
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seeing other devs work hard and pull through with their projects motivated me to start making my own game! :kaosalute:

For example:
  • Hello Charlotte by Etherane
  • Lonely Wolf Treat series by NomnomNami
  • Pocket Mirror by AstralShift
Also numerous adventures, visual novels and story-focused games.

nbgamemaker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ib, undertale and the old school jrpgs i grew up playing.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

DamageEvil_1.png added!
index.php

I have a very strong feeling my internet will be hurricane'd, forcing me to work exclusively on my projects. Wish me luck y'all.
Figured I should probably put my badly written RMMV plugins on GitHub or something, idk.
I've been working on plugins to make it easier to incorporate Persona 3's Once More batsys into MV games. One makes it so you can have states automatically applied to the target and/or user when their hit crits or targets a weakness... I could use testers for it, though. Maybe I'll make a thread in the JS Plugins In Development board about it?
Whenever I'm feeling down I like to watch Bardic Inspiration by Deerstalker Pictures
on youtube. Because 'my mockery is Vicious.' It's funny and catchy like the flu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strangefangs