What Genres of Games would you like to be made in RPG Maker ?

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am asking this because I need some ideas. Personally, I feel Survival Genre is becoming quite popular these days. Kindly share your ideas about what you consider is a Unique Genre that you would like to see and if you can, Feel free to share with a few examples to describe it.

Here is one i can think of, Although i don't think its quite unique :

Sci Fiction + Survival
Story : You are stranded on an Alien Planet. You are left to survive on whatever Plants, Metals, Objects you find there belonging to an Extinct Alien Civilization and to make it alive every day in a Harsh Alien weather, till the rescue ship arrives in a few Days. So its basically a Race against time surviving on your own Instincts on an Alien World.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, RPG ...
"RPG Maker" genre specifically. If that ain't helpful, I don't seek a specific genre in RPG Maker games. Just be RPG Maker game. Scifi or not, I don't exactly care. I do expect a few aspects like good animations that aren't using a default animation database (which means the game should have battles, not puzzles), but I don't care about the genre. If you still want to hear something specific, I just don't want to see a game that is using 3d render assets like high-fantasy because high contrast colorful pixel art (and chibi) are cute.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
anyting like zelda gam alike, puzzle, adventure and specially a good story.
a good story line is Radiant Historia, metroid series (platformer, but also 3D/1st person)
which is a big adventure on its own.

but the game YOU decide to make takes priorty anyway, create teh game that you have in mind.
genre have many ways by many different peoples, or people like your game or they dont.
but always be open for idea's, suggestions, critic etc etc :p

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RPGs... coz that's what I like to play and making them is why I chose to try RM... That said, the games I've released are short adventure games and a minigame collection..

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd love to see a modern psychological horror RPG/adventure/visual novel game that isn't based in high school. Something like Mindhunters, you know?

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think "RPG Maker" is a misnomer. It can be used for many genres. You could easily break out and make a visual novel with it if you wanted.
My current project is a logic puzzle game with strong narrative elements.
I was also thinking about the possibility of a SIM-style game. That would be pretty easy to make with the engine, and could be lots of fun if mixed with RPG tropes.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Years ago, when VXAce was still new, I was using an ABS to create a shooter-type game similar to Galaga. Unfortunately I am dumb and lost all files on that PC :LZSsad:

But I would like to see RM games that break out of the RPG restraints and push the system to be something different than the norm. I plan on at some point to remake my shooter game on MV. Hopefully I get it finished this time.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like to see more Life sim type games or an RPG with those elements in it. Those are rare for RPG Maker games, but they would be nice to see. My current game I am working on I am trying to incorporate more life sim elements like hanging with allies and doing side activities to boost your main character's stats.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I only play RPGs and Action RPGs.
Everything else made in RPG Maker is often just weird or poorly executed.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know about everything being made is weird or poorly executed. Some of the greatest rpg maker games are not traditional rpg or action rpg format. Obviously what we like is subject to opinion and personal preference. But even if you don't particularly enjoy a type of game, I think we have to give credit where credit is due.

What about To the Moon or Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass? Those games are very well executed.

I'll admit that not every story-driven or puzzle-type game is a masterpiece, but neither is every rpg or action rpg.

MetalHunter13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would like to see more Life sim type games or an RPG with those elements in it. Those are rare for RPG Maker games, but they would be nice to see. My current game I am working on I am trying to incorporate more life sim elements like hanging with allies and doing side activities to boost your main character's stats.
I'm intrigued by this as well. I always kind of wanted to make something like "Steambot Chronicles" which had a very light hunger system,an economy that the player could effect., and a bunch of little side quests. Kind of debating whether or not it will be feasible in my game.

As for me, I'd like to see more western RPGs with RPG Maker. Someone (If you're on this forum, I apologize, can't remember who) made a whole set of plugins for adding D20 system like gameplay for MV.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG's... because so few exist... and so few are even written well with good characters or interesting stories.

I've had my fill of pretty much every other genre.

Well, except for whatever type of game "Factorio" is. That game is it's own unique genre and I've yet to see it mimicked.

But, yeah... horror died for me when Dead Space died, and I've never been scared of a horror game made in RPG Maker as it's... well... not immersive at all.

Dunno, I just want to play actual RPG's. So, that's what I look for, when I look for RPG Maker games.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've never been scared of a horror game made in RPG Maker as it's... well... not immersive at all.
This.

Lol I do vote more RPG's, even if they're traditionally styled and don't break the mold too much, a good story and atmosphere was enough to keep me happy, and I'd like to see them get their own resurgence.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG's... because so few exist... and so few are even written well with good characters or interesting stories.

I've had my fill of pretty much every other genre.

Well, except for whatever type of game "Factorio" is. That game is it's own unique genre and I've yet to see it mimicked.

But, yeah... horror died for me when Dead Space died, and I've never been scared of a horror game made in RPG Maker as it's... well... not immersive at all.

Dunno, I just want to play actual RPG's. So, that's what I look for, when I look for RPG Maker games.
I agree, I don't see many RPGs from RPG Maker which I find ironic. I would also like to see more RPGs from the RPG Maker, fortunately my first long term project is an RPG so it counts for something. That could be found in my signature. Has anyone else made any RPGs or know of any good RPG made with RM? I am curious how many RPG there are. (Also sorry I said "RPG" so much in this post XP)

MetalHunter13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I agree, I don't see many RPGs from RPG Maker which I find ironic. I would also like to see more RPGs from the RPG Maker, fortunately my first long term project is an RPG so it counts for something. That could be found in my signature. Has anyone else made any RPGs or know of any good RPG made with RM? I am curious how many RPG there are. (Also sorry I said "RPG" so much in this post XP)
I've heard a lot of people (not on this forum) in the past complain about how turn based combat is "obsolete" or whatever. My response would be "Why use RPG Maker, then?". I enjoy turn based RPGs. There are fewer and fewer real time games I play anymore, aside from simulators. Mostly they just seem to stress me out, while with an RPG I can relax a bit and think. I mean, nothing wrong with using a tool to create something cool that it wasn't intended for, but I think old school RPGs have their place.
I'd check out games on rpgmaker.net. There's quite a few over there, like Hero's Realm and it's upcoming remake. I also like Infinity 3, even though it uses the VXA RTP graphics. https://rpgmaker.net/games/4218/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I got a new computer and can't find my product activation key for MV, what do I do ;-;
buinguyenhoangtho wrote on fizzly's profile.
Hello @fizzly, i would like to use your asset/ resource for my project ( is maybe commercial ). May i have your permission? Thanks you !
Working on breaking the limits of RPGMaker! :cool:
I have 470+ hours on RMMV but have only made a demo game, is this normal? :kaoswt: (I lose motivation a lot plus I use a 32gb laptop, so..)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djsete