KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started fiddling with RPG maker back in 2013 but, I wasn’t serious about it. However, I had fun using it. I primarily made comics. I stopped using it back in 2015 but, it was always at the back of myimd. I didn’t enjoy making comics anymore, I did any side project to get away from it. Then I played Persona 5, Trails of Clod Steel 1 and 2 and Tokyo Xanadu. Those games reawakened a desire to make my own RPG again. Then at the start of the year made the decide to act on that desire and start my own RPG maker project. It’s been a breath of fresh air ever since I started working in RPG Maker again. So tell me what got you started or what got you back into it.

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First time was RPGMaker on the PlayStation. I made a demo on there but it did not have the memory for me to make an epic game. I decided to make an episodic RPG, but the second one was once again too big for the memory card. I have fond memories of it though and the Pavilion community.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Found out about RPG Maker in 2005, which I messed around with every once in a while, but got nothing much done in it. I didn't understand very well how to do stuff with it (lack of tutorials, my English was bad, lol, and also lost my first project to file corruption.)

It wasn't until 2012 when I got more serious about making and finishing an actual game with it, when I finally understood most of the basic functions, and I had already made substantial progress on a small project over the years I had used the program for.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First time was RPGMaker on the PlayStation. I made a demo on there but it did not have the memory for me to make an epic game. I decided to make an episodic RPG, but the second one was once again too big for the memory card. I have fond memories of it though and the Pavilion community.

I remember playing Rpg Maker 3 on the PS2 before I knew what RPG Maker was. I remember it was a fun experience. That probably led me to find VX Ace(my first RPG Maker editor) later in life.

Found out about RPG Maker in 2005, which I messed around with every once in a while, but got nothing much done in it. I didn't understand very well how to do stuff with it (lack of tutorials, my English was bad, lol, and also lost my first project to file corruption.)

It wasn't until 2012 when I got more serious about making and finishing an actual game with it, when I finally understood most of the basic functions, and I had already made substantial progress on a small project over the years I had used the program for.

That how we all learn to sometimes scale down the scope. Although the game I am working on now could be a considerable length but, I take it one day at a time.

I just finishing playing Rescue the People and it was quite strategic experience despite using the base battle system at its base. It was quite rewarding beating the final boss, playing through your game has inspired me, so thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@KazukiT I've merged your two posts together, as double posting is against our rules. If you want to quote more than one post, please use the Multiquote button/+Quote all the posts you want.

I got into RM, thanks to the Aveyond games. I really enjoyed playing these, as well as several others sold on their site. The store also had the engines, so I tried out the trials of XP and VX and decided to go with XP, as that was (and is) the perfect engine for me.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It changed over time. At first, it was to make a silly little story about a self-insert family story in RPG with my big brother who discovered RM first. Then, dreamed about an epic scale RPG because a certain RM game inspired me. However, after mastered scripting and finished my first game, nowadays, I'm just want to try to experiment with various mechanic designs.

Diarist

Small and bitter.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A long long long long long time ago I was part of this anime board and chatroom and a lot of RP'ing happened. Like, a LOT. I became 'popular' with all the other kids and so did my characters/interpretations of canon characters because rewriting canon characters to fit a narrative was a cool thing to do when you were like, 14. Lmao

Anyways I obtained RPGMaker VX, the old old old early version I'm pretty sure. In fact I'm pretty sure it was a translated Japanese version. But anyway I made a 4 part game (as in, each part was a separate game cus all 4 parts couldn't fit into one project bc of map count and file size) and told a ridiculous story with all the characters from my RPs and stuff. I managed to create a semi-convincing semi-futuristic setting with the base tiles, which was kind of neat. But the whole thing was really really awful, although sometimes to this day I boot it up just to reminisce a little.

Nowadays I'm here kind of out of a similar reason. I was part of an old Pokemon RP group several years ago and even though everyone's moved on and gone separate ways pretty much, I've never been able to let the story and characters go. The story was completely finished, I always wanted to really tell the story to everyone cus I felt and still feel it was really neat. When I used to actively draw I'd draw up pics and stuff related to it of the characters and stuff, and drop little story tidbits or character bits here and there. No one ever took real interest though, everyone was more interested in my more generic fanart and stuff, so I wound up putting everything on the backburner after one final big pic I did in 2014.

But recently some friends have taken interest in my old OCs and some suggested making an RPGmaker thing. I don't know how well its gonna work out but I'll certainly try at the very least. As a result I've been drawing again, albeit just character pics so hopefully I can find artists to sprite said characters and stuff.

And that's where we are right now.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A long long long long long time ago I was part of this anime board and chatroom and a lot of RP'ing happened. Like, a LOT. I became 'popular' with all the other kids and so did my characters/interpretations of canon characters because rewriting canon characters to fit a narrative was a cool thing to do when you were like, 14. Lmao

Anyways I obtained RPGMaker VX, the old old old early version I'm pretty sure. In fact I'm pretty sure it was a translated Japanese version. But anyway I made a 4 part game (as in, each part was a separate game cus all 4 parts couldn't fit into one project bc of map count and file size) and told a ridiculous story with all the characters from my RPs and stuff. I managed to create a semi-convincing semi-futuristic setting with the base tiles, which was kind of neat. But the whole thing was really really awful, although sometimes to this day I boot it up just to reminisce a little.

Nowadays I'm here kind of out of a similar reason. I was part of an old Pokemon RP group several years ago and even though everyone's moved on and gone separate ways pretty much, I've never been able to let the story and characters go. The story was completely finished, I always wanted to really tell the story to everyone cus I felt and still feel it was really neat. When I used to actively draw I'd draw up pics and stuff related to it of the characters and stuff, and drop little story tidbits or character bits here and there. No one ever took real interest though, everyone was more interested in my more generic fanart and stuff, so I wound up putting everything on the backburner after one final big pic I did in 2014.

But recently some friends have taken interest in my old OCs and some suggested making an RPGmaker thing. I don't know how well its gonna work out but I'll certainly try at the very least. As a result I've been drawing again, albeit just character pics so hopefully I can find artists to sprite said characters and stuff.

And that's where we are right now.

That sounds like quite the tale of how you got into RPG Maker. I have always wanted to make an RPG myself because the thought would always float in my mind even back when I started making comics. As for your current situation I think you should collaborate with some of your old friends, who knows it maybe a fun experience.

It changed over time. At first, it was to make a silly little story about a self-insert family story in RPG with my big brother who discovered RM first. Then, dreamed about an epic scale RPG because a certain RM game inspired me. However, after mastered scripting and finished my first game, nowadays, I'm just want to try to experiment with various mechanic designs.

That's how my RPG Maker story is like, though it happened to later in life. However, I can't write a line of code to save my life, although I am becoming familiar with RPG Maker's Eventing. I am more an artist where my skills lie in character designs and the fundamentals of art in general.

@KazukiT I've merged your two posts together, as double posting is against our rules. If you want to quote more than one post, please use the Multiquote button/+Quote all the posts you want.

I got into RM, thanks to the Aveyond games. I really enjoyed playing these, as well as several others sold on their site. The store also had the engines, so I tried out the trials of XP and VX and decided to go with XP, as that was (and is) the perfect engine for me.

Sorry for the double post, I am just getting my barrings as far as posting on this forum. I recognize some of the games from Aveyond,well I recognize the art. One of the gamesI remember has a distinct fantasy slash realism style to it. I remember using XP, I liked the layering system for mapping and I see they tried to replicate it in MV. Although MV has became my favorite engine so far because it is like VX ACe but with a few more features like Side view Battler. Now I don't have to look for a script that does that. I just have to draw my battlers and plug them into the game.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well I already liked the map editor in many games, especially (Time Splitters Future Perfect) and I love and grew up with SNES and PSX RPGs.
Add the many dissapointing RPGs nowadays, Iguess I just wanted to make my own turnbased pixel games.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I already liked the map editor in many games, especially (Time Splitters Future Perfect) and I love and grew up with SNES and PSX RPGs.
Add the many dissapointing RPGs nowadays, Iguess I just wanted to make my own turnbased pixel games.
Many RPGs are going the action route these days. Some are good some aren't. Although my first real RPG experience that really stuck with me was Baten Kaitos Origins however, that was turn based.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Being an idiot. -__-

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been writing games on the adventure construction set on the c64 (totally dating myself lol). i've been tinkering with level editors since gold box games and any rpg that had them. after writing custom adventures/levels, then i ventured out to writing modules for the d&d clubs i was in. once i found rpg maker, it was a wrap. i imported them at first, then tinkered with hacked versions when import costs got too high, then got the ones on psx/ps2 and my desire to put them on consoles got the fire burning. i got legit when xp dropped. i got serious when vxa dropped and hit the ground running...

now that i got contracts with big n, m$, and other companies, it's been hard work and bug squashing to get them released. it's been hell for several years, but i'm close. my apex is sony. i'll get there soon!

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I got into gamemaking as an extension of my writing as I searched for new ways to express myself. I have always loved videogame and modding communities (Half-Life and Team Fortress 2 mainly) although my only gamemaking experience up to that point was making a few deathmatch maps for TF2.

Powerise

Fulltime Freelancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I play RPG maker on psx when I still a child, I just noticed rpg maker xp on 2010 and play with rpg maker until MV. But all projects just for fun only.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I play RPG maker on psx when I still a child, I just noticed rpg maker xp on 2010 and play with rpg maker until MV. But all projects just for fun only.

That’s a great way to keep motivation up. That way you are not worried about making the next big hit. I discovered RPG maker by accident when I bought RPG maker 3 on the PS2

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making an RPG game, only ever thought of doing through RPG Maker. When I stumbled across it through youtube many, many years ago, I just had to keep using it and never looked back...:ahappy::rhappy::ehappy::hhappy:

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making an RPG game, only ever thought of doing through RPG Maker. When I stumbled across it through youtube many, many years ago, I just had to keep using it and never looked back...:ahappy::rhappy::ehappy::hhappy:

Ever since I picked RPG Maker up again it has put me in a better mood overall so I must be on the right path.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on Andar's profile.
tfw just trying to help and get yelled at. /comfort
:LZSooo: Gotcha Gotcha Games... have launched an official discord server for RPG Maker. :LZSooo:

doodled a poring today :kaoluv:
uc
Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dramacoolanetamak