What got you into RPG Making

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by KazukiT, Feb 19, 2019.

1. PeanutButterToast

PeanutButterToast Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love making stories, and as a kid my favorite SNES games were Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy II (which I think was actually FFIV if I remember correctly). I wanted to make games like that BC I loved them so much.

My very first RPG Maker was 98 I think. It was translated by some dude Don Miguel and had a small game that came with it. It was all free too. I was hooked, but real life got in the way, so here I am dabbing now into RPGMaker MV, which I paid for on Steam.

Wow. How far we have come! Big learning curve for me but still, I can't wait to see how much it will change and grow in the next installment.

BadLittleSeed and KazukiT like this.
  2. KazukiT

KazukiT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I remember renting Super Mario RPG back then, I don't remember my feeling about the game but it was definitely different.

It does seem like it almost about time for a new RPG Maker to come out, consider there is usually a 4 to 5 year gap between installment. I'd probably wait a little after it comes out before looking into it so others can test the waters so they can help others who want to get into it.

3. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Truthfully my story is a little sad, I needed some thing constructive to get into when my Nan passed away last year, because I spent a hell of a lot of time with her and helped look after her for a while which is why I lost my pixelling job in 2012. I wanted to get back to something like that but I didn't want to go back to them because I found out they used a lot of assets in my Dropbox they didn't pay me for. I'm still upset about that but there's nothing I can do about it. After seeing MV on a Steam sale I thought it would be a good outlet for me since I can happily make my own assets and I enjoy learning things... Once I get back up to standard I may think about doing commissions again, since I can't have a proper 9-5 job because I'm disabled, I feel much better now I'm busy again.

kaukusaki, Frogboy and Switz like this.
  4. Gallimed

Gallimed Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've toyed with RPG 2k3 a long time ago but i never bothered to make something worthwhile. Now that i got a story and characters going I'm hoping to make a good game with MV.

5. KazukiT

KazukiT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wish you luck. :D

My brother did the same thing for my grandma before she passed away, so I am familiar with that feeling. I learned through my own game pixel art is a very precise art but, you probably already knew that XD. Also I am sorry those people used your work without permission. I wish you luck on getting back on your feet artistically.

Frogboy likes this.
  6. realice

realice Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Found out about The RPG Maker on the Playstation, but i got into it bcoz i like pixel , rpg and anime
    :kaoluv:

7. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indinera games, a long time ago had drawn my attention.

Indinera likes this.
  8. Super-User

Super-User Villager Member

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Cuz I enjoy a good novel, and wanna turn it into a new game.

9. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Glad to have been an inspiration. B):thumbsup-right:

kaukusaki and Dreadshadow like this.
  10. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been a gamer since Pong. (@kaukusaki also dating myself. Lol!) I never really got into RPGs (other than paper and pencil ones...there's that dating myself thing again) until KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Jade Empire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, and Skyrim made this arcing string of Game of the Year RPG titles from BioWare and Bethesda. My son and I would play together for hours on end exploring all of the content. We tossed around an idea for a 2-part epic RPG where you play as the parent in game 1 and their kid in game 2. We decided the games would have gameplay mechanics that mimicked great games from the past and we would call the duo "Homage". Neither of us knew anything about making a game, so the idea sat for a while. A few years ago I saw an ad for The Art Institutes on t.v. At the time, I didn't really watch t.v. hardly at all, but the ad really caught my attention. The same week I was hit up by a random online survey. I hate online surveys and seldom even look at them. I decided to humor this one, which asked if I went back to school what would I go back for. I responded Game Art & Design. It gave me The Art Institute of Wisconsin as a top school to attend based on my choice and location. Still in that same week I was driving in downtown Milwaukee and saw the massive AI logo for The Art Institute of Wisconsin on the side of their building, and decided having slim chance encounters with The Art Institute three times in one week wasn't just coincidence. I enrolled and nearly completed a four year B. A. in Game Art & Design. During my time there I learned that the epic RPG my son and I dreamed of was almost assuredly a fool's errand, but other more feasible ideas bloomed and blossomed. Among them was the idea for an otome RPG dating simulator in which the player is a princess trying to find someone to marry for love instead of the prince she is betrothed to. I went online to find the best RPG Making software I could find. I went with MV and started work on the title. After creating a project that gave the princess up to 600 looks with 12 suitors to choose from who I was writing openings for, my hard drive died. I started the project again on a new computer when I was able to replace the old one, and got even further...only to have the removable hard drive I was safeguarding on my person stolen from me. Now I keep 2 copies up on the cloud, and am further than ever. My demo is up and you can find it in my signature. It's the first thing I made in RPG Maker, so it's chock full of base engine resources I began using as placeholders, but haven't been able to move away from and have started to grow attached to.

So the short answer would be: My son. :kaoluv:

Frogboy and kaukusaki like this.
  11. HayateKung

HayateKung Villager Member

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've always been a big fan of game and RPGs so I think that was the start. Also, the school project I'm doing is also about game making.

12. WilsonScarloxy

WilsonScarloxy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I started in 2009 making hack roms Pokémon games (Pokémon Ruby, Fire Red and Emerald). In fact, I even released a beta of a hack rom called Pokémon Mirage. After that big hiatus happened lol

Frogboy likes this.
  13. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen Professional Tonio Apologist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I had an interest in game making when I saw a classmate submit a game made in Game Maker as their class project. Eventually I got a copy of GM myself but I was looking for something more and the usual 2D platform style didn't really fit what I had in mind.

I heard of RPG Maker and the rest was history.

kaukusaki likes this.
  14. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Played a RPGM game on Steam. It was SOOOO good. I'd get in these spurts where I searched endlessly for an old school RPG to fill craving and hole that has not been filled since FFX, but before that it's allllll the way back to FFIV.

But my new favorite game/deveoper was dashed when he announced there would not be any more games since the work that goes into them is just too much to do again.

After begging failed I talked him into working on a new one together and it's been one of the best life descisions I've ever had. I enjoy working on it so much!

kaukusaki likes this.
  15. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Friends kept saying, I should go into game development. However, it never has been "real". It was just that we've been talking about possible developments to existing games..

Also I always loved to "create something". Many years ago i used to write stories, but due to the fact that my native language is German and that audience is limited (and in fact most of my friends and half of my family is either english or spanish speaking), I wasn't very appealed by the idea to publish stories in German, as when I create something, I'd like my family and friends to see it.

Oh well, and I always loved videogames. Gaming has been a passion of mine for decades.

I guess it was coincidence that I tried RPG Maker then. It could have been aswell any other engine, tho I'm not sure, if I had liked working with them (I still only work with RPG Maker).

kaukusaki likes this.
  16. DownwardSpiral

DownwardSpiral I need help, thanks. Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Kinda started as a throw away line to my buddy "Dude, what if we had an RPG game based on our stories and comics?" he thought it was a good idea. 30 mins later, he hits me up on steam "Humble bundle's selling RPG maker for dirt cheap, you should get a copy".

The rest is history, I suppose.

kaukusaki likes this.
  17. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well I was introduced way back during the first console RPG Maker in the US. I wanted to make something on my own terms, rather than limiting myself to pre-installed assets.

Obviously, "my own graphics" bit never came to fruition, so I mainly focus on writing.

18. KazukiT

KazukiT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Making your own assets can be a daunting feat, in the game I am currently making I made my own sprites so they can better match my art style. The tileset I left mainly default with a few tweaks here and there to fit my vision.

Although there isn't anything wrong with using some default assets as long as you use them properly. I recently played Eternal Senia and that used alot of the default tileset but the character art and most of the music was custom.

kaukusaki and L.W. Flouisa like this.
  19. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea I think my specific issue is my writing has evolved and changed considerably since I tried RPG Maker VX, so not only would I have to find Science Fiction assets, but specifically Cyberpunk assets. And even more daunting, Cyberpunk crossing over with Medieval Fantasy assets.

(I write a specific kind of dark science fantasy.)

Two main things currently working against me, which may mean I'll need to adapt one of my late novellas instead:

(1. I have a cut scene, where a MC is literally 3D printed from a Roguelike game. So there is the technical specifics on how to depict a "game within a game", and all that inception nonsense.

(2. For each MC, within their "game within a game", the in game AI is suppose to change based on each MC's whims / desires, and thus implies some kind of tailored machine learning thing.

It's why I've delayed adapting it for so long.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  20. PikanyaDesu

PikanyaDesu Professional Amateur Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Probably the Legend of Zelda series...that was about the first game I'd say engrossed me on an emotional level and totally blew my mind, Link to the Past in particular. Though it wasn't a classic JRPG style game, I soon followed up with other games in the Final Fantasy series and one of my personal favorites...Super Mario RPG :)

KazukiT likes this.