Rhaeami

The Sleepy-Eyed One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For the Other option - I use paint.net. GIMP is popular for image-editing, but it really isn't built for pixel-by-pixel hand-drawn spritework. Rather, you use it to edit pre-existing things. For a penniless dev who needs to create some simple art resources from scratch, paint.net is a solid alternative, with a better assortment of draw tools, gradients, render effects, and such. I like to think that it and GIMP together collectively make an actually viable Photoshop replacement. :kaojoy:

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Photoshop mainly and sometimes SONAR to remaster older RPG Maker music or MIDI music that I have permission to use on other sites. I guess by extension I also use, on occasion, a text editor like Atom or Notepad++ for storing values I need to recall later because I have the memory of a goldfish and LibreOffice Calc for spreadsheets. I like having some data planned out especially if I'm doing certain types of leveling builds for a certain game to have control of that.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Photoshop mainly and sometimes SONAR to remaster older RPG Maker music or MIDI music that I have permission to use on other sites. I guess by extension I also use, on occasion, a text editor like Atom or Notepad++ for storing values I need to recall later because I have the memory of a goldfish and LibreOffice Calc for spreadsheets. I like having some data planned out especially if I'm doing certain types of leveling builds for a certain game to have control of that.
Unfortunately, the choices are limited, so I had to choose a category, I chose not to add software other than graphic and techniques.
I will do a survey for software music edition only, because these also very important!
Is essential in the development of a project.

Edit:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/what-music-audio-software-do-you-use-in-developing-your-game-project-multiple-choice.79337/

Last edited:

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I didn't mind adding it to my post anyway. I usually do that because I talk, or in this case type, a lot. :p

umbralshadows

the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Paint tool sai and photoshop cs6 for all my art.

Quxios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use blender and affinity photo. For packing, I created my own node app that packs and trims all the frames into a single spritesheet.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use the latest version of photoshop to do all my mapping after I export the base map from the game.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No because that would look bizzar in RPG Maker MV.
It may depend, my project are developed under Photoshop, and I use this plugin for map
It is a pre-alpha obsolete, but in the idea, we can get looking for something very good.
I use the plugin to work in this old video.

AskaRay

Tired Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Paint Tool SAI for pretty much any drawing.
Photoshop CS5 for effects, text, and any pixel work needed.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
GIMP, Pyxel Edit, Aesprite, Clip Studio Paint, Krita. Which one I use depends on what asset I'm making, usually I just use the first two.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Gimp and Flash for character portraits, map decorations and battle sprites, as well as cutscene graphics. Map sprites in Game Character Hub, and the maps themselves in RPGMaker.

Sonnet

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eeeeh for the image and little-edit-in-pixel, I'm using Paint Tool SAI and finalize it in Photoshop.:kaoluv:

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Microsoft Paint lol
and Aseprite

Looking into SAKAN but doesn't seem as flexible as pyxel edit for tiles

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i use mainly photoshop for texturing, clip studio paint for a more all purpose 2d software and blender for everything 3d related, like 3d sprites and pre rendered cg

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Pixlr, An Online Graphic Editor.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Paint dot net and gimp for basic image editing quickly. If I have more time and need lots of fancy whatnots I use serif's draw and photo plus (the versions I have are old, ver 14).

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'General Discussion' is about aspects/themes of making games, not about resources (which includes software) we might use.

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

EDIT
My apologies, I moved this to the wrong forum yesterday, so I'm having to move it again. I think my brain went on holiday for a moment when I first moved it. Useful Development Tools already has several discussions about which programs to use for graphics, so if you do a a browse through it, you will get a lot of additional opinions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.
In today's seminar:
Presenter: In the past, there was a saying, "One who has tuberculosis is doomed for life." But now-
Everyone: *starts coughing in unision*
Gosh... Today seems too much like a good day to do nothing....

I need to keep myself focused...! :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRMA