What has the largest effect on performance?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just wondering what makes the greatest difference FPS-wise: CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD?

I guess my question really is: Does MV utilize the video card at all? Or is it mostly affected by processing power?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe the most drain comes from the multiple update calls from various functions.
the graphic load should be negligible, given MV's standard resolutions, unless you have a really ****ty card.
but, a poorly optimized code, with lots of redundant functions and lots of unnecessary updates, can be taxing.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Its definitely CPU intensive, barely even glances at the GPU...... get your CPU and RAM up! Don't get me started on Chromium! AHHH!!!

With that said, you can help alleviate these laggy symptoms and make some great games on RPG Maker! Though I wish the engine was a bit more optimized and made us of the GPU a lot more!

For the love of God, use less parallel processes people! lol.

Of course scripts can help the engine utilize the graphics card and thats exactly what we did with the lighting script, but I digress.

Happy RPGing! Enjoy the holidays!

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Its definitely CPU intensive, barely even glances at the GPU...... get your CPU and RAM up! Don't get me started on Chromium! AHHH!!!

With that said, you can help alleviate these laggy symptoms and make some great games on RPG Maker! Though I wish the engine was a bit more optimized and made us of the GPU a lot more!

For the love of God, use less parallel processes people! lol.

Of course scripts can help the engine utilize the graphics card and thats exactly what we did with the lighting script, but I digress.

Happy RPGing! Enjoy the holidays!
Whoa, I just checked out your lighting plugin and noticed it uses the same syntax, does that mean I can just switch from Community Lighting as well (since that uses Terrax syntax as well).

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was unaware that the community lighting plugin uses the same syntax.

if it does then the answer is yes!

As you have no doubt read, theMV nova lighting plugin was created to replace terrax, I needed a more efficient (better performing) plugin that worked well with yanfly, especially copy event and spawn event. The trifecta lol.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
From my casual experiments with the Canvas renderer (CPU-based fallback for systems incapable of WebGL), I think it's typically CPU > GPU > RAM > Disk. Thoughts:
  • Disk access is only relevant when accessing files, which won't (typically) be happening most of the time. In terms of speed, RAM > SSD > HDD.

• RAM should be OK if it meets the game requirements (can be higher depending on plugins used). Note that with insufficient RAM the system will typically use either spare VRAM from the GPU (not sure how this is handled, might not apply to RMMV) or "paging files", i.e. Disk. This means if you don't have enough RAM then things may get very slow, because RAM is typically accessed a lot and Disk is much slower than RAM.

• If the system is WebGL capable then RMMV ultimately passes all image rendering through the GPU, via PIXI.Sprite, PIXI.Stage, etc. As I understand it, the tilemap is particularly renderer-heavy, cf pixi-tilemap.js:
    ivanpopelyshev said:
    Canvas fallback is 5x slower than vanilla rpgmaker. Webgl version is faster and doesnt use extra textures.
    WebGL will show minimal improvements on integrated graphics, since in that case it's sharing the CPU. Canvas is entirely CPU-based and does not reference any graphics driver-/hardware-level rendering methods, thus is the slowest option.

• Remaining operations, from the browser's features (overhead, page elements/events, compile & run JS), through the workings of RPG Maker MV's engine, to the actual execution of game content, all go through the CPU. If the CPU is not fast enough, there's not much that can be done, especially since RMMV is almost entirely single-threaded.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting...I wonder why I'm getting slight FPS drops (down to ~45-50 FPS) for a split second whenever I close the main menu. I have the blur effect disabled too. I am also not using any fading in/out effect for the windows. At least it's 60 FPS in most other scenarios.

Edit: My specs...
i5 9600K (OC @ 5.0Ghz)
32GB RAM (@ 1500Mhz x2 cuz DDR)
GTX 1660Ti
Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Interesting...I wonder why I'm getting slight FPS drops (down to ~45-50 FPS) for a split second whenever I close the main menu. I have the blur effect disabled too. I am also not using any fading in/out effect for the windows. At least it's 60 FPS in most other scenarios.

Edit: My specs...
i5 9600K (OC @ 5.0Ghz)
32GB RAM (@ 1500Mhz x2 cuz DDR)
GTX 1660Ti
Samsung 860 EVO SSD
hey hey!

Wow really? Hmmmm.

32 gigs of Ram is great. I5 is ok, though it is overclocked hmmmm. You know RPG maker MV runs better when you have chrome closed? (and of course all other apps that use chromium)

Its prob the strain that the engine itself exerts on the CPU which is the main bottleneck. You can also lower the bitrate of the lights themselves to make the lights more bearable. I use a 64 bit light resolution that still looks good, and its light enough to run well in midrange computers.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey hey!

Wow really? Hmmmm.

32 gigs of Ram is great. I5 is ok, though it is overclocked hmmmm. You know RPG maker MV runs better when you have chrome closed? (and of course all other apps that use chromium)

Its prob the strain that the engine itself exerts on the CPU which is the main bottleneck. You can also lower the bitrate of the lights themselves to make the lights more bearable. I use a 64 bit light resolution that still looks good, and its light enough to run well in midrange computers.
It's probably not the lighting plugin, since I tried it w/ it off and saw no difference. I think it's Chrome as you mentioned (I usually have ~50-100+ tabs open lol). It probably also doesn't help that I sometimes have half a dozen instances of MV open as well... :kaoswt:

Guess I should reboot and try it w/ nothing else running heh. Though, that is a bit unrealistic since end-users will most likely have Chrome open as well (and possibly have an insane number of tabs open like me).

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's probably not the lighting plugin, since I tried it w/ it off and saw no difference. I think it's Chrome as you mentioned (I usually have ~50-100+ tabs open lol). It probably also doesn't help that I sometimes have half a dozen instances of MV open as well... :kaoswt:

Guess I should reboot and try it w/ nothing else running heh. Though, that is a bit unrealistic since end-users will most likely have Chrome open as well (and possibly have an insane number of tabs open like me).
I got a solid 60 frames all the time, however, sometimes when my computer has been on for a long time, I do notice a small dip in frames, and once I close chrome its all set (Facebook is a HOG!). Releasing that memory would be great even though you do have lots of RAM lol.

If it happens regardless of any plugins then that is certainly the monster that is RPG Maker MV. Closing down apps like chrome certainly does help.

Switching from Terrax to MV Nova Lighting helps devs same an average of 10 frames or more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My computer broke yesterday, so no RPG maker for at least a week until I can get it repaired. :(
Just wanted to share how my game won 1st place in a game jam for itch.io. Everyone else used Unreal, Unity, GMS2, Godot, etc but I used RPG Maker 2003 :guffaw: It just shows that you can create a good game and it doesn't matter which engine you use
Working on cutscenes~

if your game is the first (or ONLY) in a series and still has a colon in its title, you are a bad person and I hate you...... jk.

who could ever hate BETWEEN: TWO SOULS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FLXYM