What have you learned?

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by B.Ultimus, Aug 1, 2014.

1. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I learned to make sure the testers write down any problems they found.  Nothing like hearing, "oh, that?  Didn't I tell you I've had that problem since the beginning?" right before the end of the contest to stress me out.

Also learned that my procrastination is worse than I thought...  Most of my game was finished in a mad rush during the last week.

2. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    A good tester should always be doing that. I don't test as much now with life circumstances, but I always made a habit of using Word to document everything, including screenshots if needed, and then uploading the doc for the developer.

3. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I learned, above all else, that you *will* need more time than you plan to.  If your time limit is 4 weeks, design a game that you can build in 2.  If you're on schedule to finish just on time, start cutting things - 'cuz you're actually going to finish a few days later.  Things will go wrong, stuff will break - it's not a matter of coding skill or how organized you are, it's just how the process works.  Always, *always* give yourself breathing room.  :ninja:

Silvestre, Kryzon and Geoff Moore like this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For me I would say just go in knowing the experience of creating a game is valuable. I've been editing my game since it was entered, and I hardly recognize it compared to the original entry these days. But, if not for that experience of that month, I would not know what was good and what needed to be worked on.

5. jtrev23

jtrev23 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What game is yours? 

6. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/192#.U-kDbI4o4ie

I didn't really promote it as I was too busy with work during that time, so it got lost in the shuffle. Since I posted the entry though, I've added a proper intro, rebalanced combat (I was using 5*a.atk - 4*b.def, and it was making some weapons useless or they all felt the same), redid the skills (balance pending), shrunk some maps that were too big, finished chapter 1, started chapter 2, added most of the side regions in the overland map (though the maps are incomplete, you can enter and leave now), redid some graphics, and figured out how to display the speaker name for dialogue.

But, seeing as I started this contest with no clue how to use RPG maker, I still feel it was worth it for the experience.

Saltwater Croc likes this.
  7. jtrev23

jtrev23 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks interesting, I am downloading it now and will play it soon. Also fun fact, you posted your game right before me (your entry 192, I'm entry 193). In the future I recommend not using mediafire, it's really annoying. Try getting a dropbox or google drive, their free and not full of ads.

8. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, I went into that thinking it would just be upload a zip, then had to scramble to get a site I could upload things too. May check out dropbox or something for the next content. Still, I entered with no expectations and figured if I somehow do win, once the heart attack is over I could at least pay down my student loans or something. But, not entering means I win $0, so why not?

Anyways, feel free to post some opinions when you check it out. I'll see if I can get some time to check out yours in return, I've honestly only played one entry so far since the contest ended.

9. jtrev23

jtrev23 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Exactly better to enter and not win, to have never entered at all. I'm hoping for at least 3rd place but if i win the grand prize that would be amazing. 

I will make sure to post, I comment on everyone's I've played.

I haven't stopped playing games since the contest began, I download a bunch then I play them over the next few days and give feedback. (In no particular order)

Right now games I have downloaded is:

Book of shadows

oh ko!--currently playing as I type this, nice music

Null regrets

betrayal of gods

and

perspective - which I have heard is really good but just I haven't played it yet.

Last couple games I tried were:

Kid Trillian- cool concept, really good art but far from complete.

Recurrence - really nicely done game, with a somewhat unique storyline and fun humor.

Antagonist - For me it had a few bugs, but the game itself is really amazing. The story, graphics, and gameplay is all really top notch.

GPR cireneG - really nice and different gameplay, and a reversal story that I found interesting. 

and

Royally Rejected - a very nice game, good gameplay and story. A perfect rpg, only i dislike the ending, but it might have been rushed for the contest.

10. jtrev23

jtrev23 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    left you a review on the contest page, tell me when chapter 2 comes out.

11. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ok, will do! Saw the review too, thanks for the input. Though, funny thing, I saw you posted on the JP not showing, and just yesterday I posted a script to fix that here for others with the same issue: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/30962-yanfly-jp-manager-add-on-display-jp-on-screen/

Funny timing, huh? Anyways, I figure with work and such chapter 2 (since the world opens up more in chapter 2) will probably be late August or late September, more likely late September unless I can get really far in it with my 2 week break I'm on right now.

12. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, one more thing I learned: I will probably never make a stat based game. Ever. It's not for me. Balancing The Vendor was just about the limit of number balancing that I'm willing to do for a game.

13. Tenchizard

Tenchizard Veteran Veteran

It's though, but I actually loved balancing out the stats for my game. I wrote pages and pages of stats, progressions, charts and crazy numbers trying to get a fair (even if difficult) game. Building game mechanics is my favourite part of designing it, hands down.

Silvestre and jtrev23 like this.
  14. jtrev23

jtrev23 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I learned how to automatically update your stats when you level up (at first I was going to set each level individually which seemed like it would take a long time) 

15. zDS

zDS One That Lives Many Lives Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Balancing stats is one of the most important parts, in my opinion. I always aim for my levels to make an impact each time you gain one. And when you have multiple characters, you have to make sure a defensive unit has enough defensive to be stronger than the rest but not be an invincible wall against enemies, and so on. It's an art that's actually very hard to master and trying to do it right only makes me respect the crap out of games that do this type of stuff with excellence.