What Helps You Focus?

BENI_MARU

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Heyo RPGmakers! People use the likes of the Pomodoro Technique or apps like Forest to help them stay on task. I'd like to hear what helps you focus when you're working on your RPG (or any other tasks for that matter). Alternatively, if you're having trouble focusing, do you know the reasons why?

LNDRdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Back in the days of endless fangames on RMXP/VX/VXA the one thing my buddies and I always talked about was immersion in the games soundtrack.

This is something that still sticks with me several years later coming back to this community - thinking along the lines of certain events, cutscenes, battle scenes and the like - find music that fits (that you may well replace if its not feasible to use) and just sort of... drown yourself in your project while listening to music relevant to the thing you’re doing.

This is my sort of general approach to anything; flipping to music, which is my primary skill set, I do the exact opposite when composing - I look at and consume images and media that capture the vibe of what I want to compose to and as a result find it easier to compose to that particular thing.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Music. Instrumental, at that. Anything with words takes me completely out of it what I'm doing and that goes for podcasts and videos too, unfortunately. I'm a horrible multi-tasker.

BENI_MARU

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Lowlander @Prescott For sure, music often plays such a big part in helping people get in the groove of things. Provided the budget is available, I always advocate for involving game audio earlier in the development process - audio storyboarding is a blast to prepare and definitely contributes to cohesion!

Beyond kickstarting imagination, I wonder if there's something about using music to fuel productivity...fulfilling a quota of sense to limit your subconscious desire to multitask haha?

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Music of any kind. It both helps with inspiration but alsi with work flow for me XD

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me it's the opposite, music distracts me. My brain just wants to analyze all the music that goes through my ears: my perfect pitch gets all the notes, my brain recreates all the instruments and the sheet, and then analyzes it, sees how it is constructed, then finds all the incoherence, etc.

So yeah... I just have to be concentrated and not distracted, meaning alone at my desktop for a couple of hours lol.

BENI_MARU

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Marsigne That's the article I always think of when selling the concept. Brian Higa's work is fantastic.

@TheoAllen Lol, do you manually switch off the modem when it's time to work then? How do you focus when the internet is present?

@MushroomCake28 Haha so from what I understand - you need time to get into your groove? Do you do anything to expedite the process, or do you sit and hope for the best?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Listening [anime, classic, or rpg maker music] music helps come up with ideas and focused on game making. Do not use the apps. It is so distraction if you have a focused problem. Internet and also this community is interesting. That is why it is distractions. People here have so many interesting things to say.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lol, do you manually switch off the modem when it's time to work then?
No. My actual work requires an internet connection, so that is not an option.

For my game project though, really when there is nothing to distract me or when there is nothing but my project and me, not even a game to play, work to do, or friends to talk, that is usually the best moment to work on my game.

I would lie if music helps me focus on dev my game (or anything in that matter) because the actual thing that distracts me is just the internet. This is me being honest.
How do you focus when the internet is present?
If it's my game, well I don't :D
If it's for work, I often put a long medley music/orchestra as a jam. So yes, music helps me to focus. But depends on what I'm focusing on.

If it's a long tedious work, I often use music to "boost my mood".
If it requires thinking and brainstorming, I put everything on silent to help me focus.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 Haha so from what I understand - you need time to get into your groove? Do you do anything to expedite the process, or do you sit and hope for the best?
I actually put on some music if it's not urgent work. I work at 50% capacity, but it's pleasant. When I need to work on something complicated/delicate (like when I code a battle system), or when I'm in a rush and need to concentrate to work at 100%, I turn off the music and just marathon through it. It's hard to get it working for the first 15 minutes, but I find that after that harsh 15 minutes I just keep going easily and naturally.

Sanrie

Potato Head
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bisaya
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually listen to music to help me focus and keeps me energised so I won't get sleepy since I'm a lethargic person.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As far as keeping my mind focused only on what's in front of me, I like listening to trance music (particularly inspiring, flowing tracks with long chord progressions and without a lot of distinct vocals or heavy percussion). That usually helps keep my mind from wandering to other concerns.

However, there's also the matter of keeping focused (on my game or current project) in the sense of not letting myself get "intentionally" distracted by things I want to do more. And for that, I have to keep reminding myself, very honestly, what's at stake - why I'm doing it in the first place. What I want to bring into the world for others to experience, what promises I've made and who I've made them to, and what success in the project will mean for me in the future. I keep that in mind and I remember that the only way to make it happen is to finish what I'm working on.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It helps me focus when I'm working on it.

BENI_MARU

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
However, there's also the matter of keeping focused (on my game or current project) in the sense of not letting myself get "intentionally" distracted by things I want to do more. And for that, I have to keep reminding myself, very honestly, what's at stake - why I'm doing it in the first place. What I want to bring into the world for others to experience, what promises I've made and who I've made them to, and what success in the project will mean for me in the future. I keep that in mind and I remember that the only way to make it happen is to finish what I'm working on.
The classic "Eyes on the prize," I like it |m|

mchangin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's usually music, but because I tend to loop the same track over and over again, eventually I'll hit the point where I'll have to switch tracks to be able to focus again.

Since I haven't been able to find that one track for the past weeks, I've turned to videos of angry parrots yelling to their owner that they don't want to go to the vet. It's... been working out surprisingly well. I mean, I wish I was joking but it is how it is...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yanfly told me the new earth all animations in MZ look a bit like summoning potatoes and now I can't unsee it. halp
Despite time and all the other things I am working on, I decided that I am going to start a Fire Emblem-like project. Follow your dreams! I'll just have to balance hours efficiently. I'm also not making this as complex as my Might and Magic inspired project, so it will be a much easier project to work on.
So I've taken to doing a test of the game, and making a list of everything I think of during the test to add/fix. Over the course of the night I check them off as I do them, and by the end of the night I always feel like I've accomplished something. :LZSexcite:
Eventz MZ? Events MZ!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reich