What IDE do you use for writing your plugins?

What IDE do you use?

• Total voters

SilverDash

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still use Notepad++. But it has it's limitations and the auto-completion is more often bad than good. Also it get's messy when you have like 50 documents opened. By using:

Settings --> Preferences --> General --> Document List Panel --> Show (check it).it get's more manageable though.

But there must be better ones but there are so many IDE's for JS. Even Visual Studio supports it (to some degree).

Last edited by a moderator:

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
There's already a thread about this somewhere, but i can't find it right now.

I just recently switched from Komodo Edit to Atom (both free), because the former was rather limited. Atom is nice, but i advise against using the latest (beta) version, like i did, because it apparently doesn't let you delete files...

Quxios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried out a few of them. My favorite ended up being Atom Editor after I added in some packages like tool bar and file icons. I also had to black list autocomplete in comments because it was annoying me. I also like how you can create your own snippets.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
for myself I use Sublime Text 3 

I like the auto-complete who avoid me to have to write so many code.

Overall even if Atom seem interesting I don't want to change since Sublime Text 3 have a lots of contents and I like how it's managed

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Eclipse (LINK)!

I've started using it for Android Apps where Google recommended it in the past, but today I am using it for anything also for uncommon and proprietor languages. I even used it for LPC and in LPC embeded LISP code (closures). Other than that I use Ultraedit (since I have a license from work) and Notepad++ for common text editing or for quick edits.

SilverDash

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's already a thread about this somewhere, but i can't find it right now.
I vaguely remember the same, but I couldn't find it either before creating this topic and the search function has a 30 second delay + is not really strong in these forums. It's not exactly Google :p . I usually try to use Google instead (no delay, better results).

Anyway, I see everybody uses a different IDE. So not 1 IDE is by far the best then I guess.

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I vaguely remember the same, but I couldn't find it either before creating this topic and the search function has a 30 second delay + is not really strong in these forums. It's not exactly Google :p . I usually try to use Google instead (no delay, better results).

Anyway, I see everybody uses a different IDE. So not 1 IDE is by far the best then I guess.
Oh, you wanted to know the best IDE. Well, you should have asked that instead of the IDE everyone of us uses to write plugins :p .

SilverDash

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I suppose the best one would be the most used one. Because the best one would (I assume) attract the most users. But we all use a different one. Not 1 person with the same IDE lol. Maybe should have put a poll in there. I just put a poll in there.

Atom looks very nice indeed,  a huge step-up from notepad++.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I found myself using Adobe Dreamweaver as it's what I instinctively use for web development.

jamespedid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I use RubyMine, which is essentially the same as WebStorm. I'm a huge fan of JetBrains IDEs.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Sublime Text 3.

Before that I used Sublime2, and Notepad++ before it.

I believe Atom may be nice too.

My rankings would be:

Top choices: Sublime and Atom

Runner up: Notepad++

Maybe not bad: Visual Studio Code

I would not use but I understand who do: Visual Studio.

I would never ever use: Eclipse and anything similar to it.

But each person looks for something different on their IDE, so there may be people here with the complete opposite opinion on all of those.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Notepad++. I don't know if there's a way to make it an IDE with auto-complete and intellisense, but I typically know what I'm looking for so it's not an issue.

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Notepad++. I don't know if there's a way to make it an IDE with auto-complete and intellisense, but I typically know what I'm looking for so it's not an issue.
Npp is good, free and lightweight. Maybe the only thing I don't like with it is the coloring it shows for JavaScript.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of a Princess Seagull
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Normal Notepad for me... I clicked the wrong button on the poll though, sorry...

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use Notepad++ normally out of habit, but lately I've bee using Netbeans more and more just for the sake of auto-format.

Edit: Also, the error reporting in Netbeans is handy too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Seeing people still using Kaus tiles with stolen contents makes me sad.
Microsoft tools are a blessing and a curse. They're great, but also insanely restrictive :/
When you feel annoyed by all the jokes and fake news, since in your country April's 1 is just a regular day...
This just in: RPGMaker 10 announced. We are pleased to release an engine that takes full advantage of the WIndows 10 platform. Also will have cross platform to TI calculators, Atari, the Ouya, and your toaster!
Posted a game thread. Then accidentally pressed x. Then found out rmweb saves drafts :D all is good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyes1418