What if Disney made an RPG that isn't Kingdom Hearts?

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Rather be gliding through the streets of New York causing primal terror and justice beating up criminals as king of the Gargoyles.
This. So much this.

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Disney films that would make good standalone RPGs without extra Mickeys or Goofies, (probably some of these are already RPGs):

• The Sword in the Stone
  • Hook
  • The Black Cauldron
  • (anthropomorphic) Robin Hood
  • Pirates
  • Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (had Disney animators according to the Wiki)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Hercules
  • Tarzan
  • Mulan
  • Atlantis
  • The Hunchback
  • Chronicals of Narnia
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • The Jungle Book
  • Wreck-It Ralph (like KH, but with video games)
  • Aladdin
  • the Studio Ghibli Disney movies
I would have left out the characters that were in KH, but I don't know KH.

• Star Wars since Disney bought Lucasfilm

BigEd781

undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dothraki
Primarily Uses
N/A
What if Disney made an RPG that *was* KH? I don't count that portable nonsense... give me KH3!

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
<p>

Disney films that would make good standalone RPGs without extra Mickeys or Goofies, (probably some of these are already RPGs):

• The Sword in the Stone
  • Hook
  • The Black Cauldron
  • (anthropomorphic) Robin Hood
  • Pirates
  • Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (had Disney animators according to the Wiki)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Hercules
  • Tarzan
  • Mulan
  • Atlantis
  • The Hunchback
  • Chronicals of Narnia
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • The Jungle Book
  • Wreck-It Ralph (like KH, but with video games)
  • Aladdin
  • the Studio Ghibli Disney movies
I would have left out the characters that were in KH, but I don't know KH.
  • Star Wars since Disney bought Lucasfilm
Most of these were actually licensed as video games, if not rpgs. Disney doesn't actually own the Ghibli movies; they were just involved in the American release.

Ultim

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
A
Primarily Uses
N/A
In my opinion,It'll be the most childish RPG ever made.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
In my opinion,It'll be the most childish RPG ever made.
Childish isn't necessarily bad. Look at the entire Mario franchise. There's really nothing "adult" about them, yet they are engaging and difficult enough for experienced gamers to really enjoy. This sort of thing could translate itself into an rpg and be just as fun (proof: mario did).

If you stuck to the Disney anthros (Mickey and co.) the game would probably have that toony Mario feel. But some of the movies were actually quite mature, thematically. The Hunchback of Notre Dame sticks out in my mind, especially (of course, it was based on a classic novel).

But I do think a non-KH disney rpg would be best if you could do a mashup of the different disney worlds/franchises, rather than sticking to just one.

Ultim

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
A
Primarily Uses
N/A
@captainproton : I didn't mean the negative "childish".There are some cool childish games like Mario.But they're a real challenge for experienced gamers.I think if they mixed it all it will be : Kingdom Mickey : The Duck of Fate or something like that

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@captainproton : I didn't mean the negative "childish".There are some cool childish games like Mario.But they're a real challenge for experienced gamers.I think if they mixed it all it will be : Kingdom Mickey : The Duck of Fate or something like that
which no one would play.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
which no one would play.
These Disney games beg to disagree. Just because the source material is 'childish' does not mean the content of the game itself has to be. To dismiss a game that uses talking animals as 'childish' without even considering the content of the game itself is like a pot calling the kettle black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0PzqF9gWY

Last edited by a moderator:

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not because of the animal characters or if its childish...because it is Disney.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And what of Disney, exactly, would you consider 'too childish'?

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nothing. Like I said, its not because its childish. I am saying, its because its Disney. The company itself was what I am talking about.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So what of the company or its properties justifies that they're incapable of making good games?

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
So what of the company or its properties justifies that they're incapable of making good games?
Close, he's saying just because slapping the name Disney on the cover, or something obviously Disney, would have more 'mature' gamers from playing it.

And in a way, Kingdom Hearts has this problem if you didn't play it since the beginning. Ducktales Remastered is mostly popular because it's a remake to an NES game. And though Epic Mickey wasn't bad, I hardly know anyone above 16 who played it... forget about anyone above 18.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyutaru

Software Engineer & Ninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Disney company motto is hook them while they're young.  Twenty-five years later, people are still buying their stuff from nostalgic childhood memories.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Close, he's saying just because slapping the name Disney on the cover, or something obviously Disney, would have more 'mature' gamers from playing it.

And in a way, Kingdom Hearts has this problem if you didn't play it since the beginning. Ducktales Remastered is mostly popular because it's a remake to an NES game. And though Epic Mickey wasn't bad, I hardly know anyone above 16 who played it... forget about anyone above 18.
But then again, most games with "mature" content is tailored for the least mature audience. I work in electronics retail, and games like Violent Crime Auto and Call of Shootyfield seem to be highly favored by teen and preteen douchebags. Meanwhile, gamers who actually *are* mature seem to prefer games like Mario, Zelda, and Nancy Drew.

What little I have played of Epic Mickey was highly enjoyable, and I'm 28.

plasmablade13

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But then again, most games with "mature" content is tailored for the least mature audience. I work in electronics retail, and games like Violent Crime Auto and Call of Shootyfield seem to be highly favored by teen and preteen douchebags. Meanwhile, gamers who actually *are* mature seem to prefer games like Mario, Zelda, and Nancy Drew.

What little I have played of Epic Mickey was highly enjoyable, and I'm 28.
That couldn't be anymore true. The M rated games seems to be children's games, while the E rated games are the adult games. (You can replace games with movies and it'd still be true. For me at least)

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well good thing I still play mario or zelda, not just disney made games.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1638168263130.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it
Climbing to the top #mapping
1638160732198.png
I've started the first steps of the final few maps that I need to make for B:ms. I haven't been able to say that in a really, really long time. It'd probably be a good idea to blog about this or something.
Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FromVillage