DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
While I'm not sure if this will be a good idea, I'm just throwing this idea out :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it might be helpful if you spelled out why you believe this would be a good thing for Degica, when it would take people away from this site, and would require finding a whole new set of mods, as the existing ones couldn't cover both.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Personally, I don't like Discord. It embodies well the idea of volatile contribution but this is not my idea of quality. I prefer by far forum topics, which you can easily follow, contribute and come back to when the subject interests you. Discord is impractical and very time consuming to check adequately. It's easy to miss a conversation you may have liked but instead finished before you ever got a chance to get involved. You also don't keep a trace of anything, unlike with forum topics.
I don't really care if it's trendy, I just don't see the appeal or even efficiency of it.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is already a discord for this forum :) and most use it, very friendly, but sometimes
faster help than here, depending on the issue and the peoples online to read it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Thank you. I'll give it a visit. I do follow a few discords (mostly to keep in touch with what's happening) despite the fact I prefer forums. That's also how I know it can easily get way too time consuming if you want to be thorough about it.

Pervert_Tentacle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think adding a Discord based on RPG Maker is going to be good for creators -and users too, but mostly creators. I'll do my best to explain why.

Creating a Discord account is easy, really easy if you even want to add a VPN to the equation. The problem that comes with this is that you cannot track a user's infrastructure (AKA social media, personal sites...) if the user didn't put their personal information. How is that a problem?

Because how are you supposed to trust feedback or a suggestion to your story if you don't know anything about the user you're contacting with? And that goes to extremely introverted creators: if you have only one source of feedback, and they suggest something compromising that could change your story, would you trust them and pray that everything goes well, specially for a product to sell?

But wait, there's more. There are people who depend on external validation that live in Discord, they wake up in the morning and use Discord, they use Discord all day, and when they're sleeping they probably dream about using Discord.
If an user is using Discord literally all times every day, isn't it an indication that they may be unemployed? Because if you are an employee you can't use Discord like that.

Creating a Discord account is easy. It costs nothing.
Making a thought-less suggestion is easy. It costs nothing.
Paying X bucks for a product of entertainment not that much for an unemployed person.

Last edited:

howaboutno

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I personally really dislike discord for a few reasons mentioned in here. I've got the bad experience of coming from certain ex-lively forums that have just become ghost towns thanks to discord. So, I guess you can say I've got a vendetta against it.

Regardless if there is/a discord is created, I'll never use it and just stay on the actual forum.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I knew of a website which had a nice forum (which I liked) and then literally dropped it for discord. IMO a bad move. Forums are immensely better for meaningful/elaborate content, something which we should strive for in a gamedev community.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
discord is easy, but I dont agree with @Pervert_Tentacle because, every has their own lives,
they check on the question and answer when they are home to check out for hte answer.

are they untrusted because you dont know who you chat with? yes, but so is this forum.
so it's both ways for trusting or not trust them, same on this forum.

they are mostly strict to the solution you need with coding, there are other channels
for other purposes, but if you want to join it or not, is totally up to you.

in my case, I'm not social outside, but live in my own world (always did).
but the choice is yours anyways, you decide if you join it or not.

it is not a must to join the server, that is optional.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's not an official, but they provide usefull information, lunatic codes as well :)
but it wasn't really advertising though. linking to discord I agree, wont happen again.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There may be a discord for RPG Maker (or maybe several), but it is not official. Just because they provide useful information doesn't mean it's linked to this forum in any way.

The idea was suggested ages ago, and rejected for a number of reasons. I don't recall what they all were, but I'm sure they would include the fact that this forum is the official forum of Degica for RPG Maker, and there wouldn't be enough mods/admins to look after it.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I think discord makes sense for small games that don't have the resources/money to host and manage a huge forum. There are some great discord server for indiegames around.

But I'm not seeing it for RPG Maker who already has an awesome huge forum. We want more ppl to come here instead of leaving to a discord server. This wealth of content just doesn't work quite as good on discord. If I google a problem I have about RPG Maker or am searching for a specific plugin/art/project, most of the time it directs me to this forum and that's a good thing.

However, I like discord for private chats about non rpg maker related stuff.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some dev community got an official Discord.
It's mostly a way for people to chat about the last anime trend and meme that no one knows outside USA/adolescent universe.
Kids WANT Discord as they're already there and think is a great app (we can debate about...).

No thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I get scam calls all the time so today I gave them a piece of my mind. They hung up on me. Sweet revenge.
There’s a beehive in my wall
Just finished my midterms! Freedom! Alright, back to gamedev!
I confirmed my train ticket yesterday. I'll be heading to Orlando on the 29th... last time I went, I found this little treasure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infusa