B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, long time user since RM2000 on playstation 1. I find myself back in RMMV thanks to its compatibility with linux and ease of workflow for one person projects. I purchased all the Medieval asset packs from steam and love them! Appologies if this has been asked already but I could not find an answer browsing the forum. My questions are:
1: The Medieval packs appear to be traditional viewpoint and orientation where I see some packs are of the 2.5D variety. How do I tell which ones are 2.5D and what ones are not. I dont want to mix them up if they will look visually strange on screen.

2: With the parallax layer situation I am not sure what I should be doing as far as what is recommended for the traditional style. The tutorials seem to be specific to the 2.5D isometric view with grid size settings of 32 instead of 48 and similar scenarios.

I currently have a jumbled mess cobbled together with outdated or missing information. Would appreciate any help from anyone that has recent experience with the Medieval assets. As of 2020 which plugins/methods should I be using?

Thanks in advance!

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1. All of the assets made by PVGames are 2.5D, even if they don't specifically say it. So you can basically mix and match them to your heart's content.

2. As for doing the parallax, or really just maps in general. There are two different methods I'd recommend...
First you're going to want to familiarize yourself with https://quxios.github.io/plugins Aside from being far and away the best plugin collection MV has to offer, you'll find many of them are the only plugins capable of truly utilizing these resources to their fullest.

So here are the two better options... (Both require https://quxios.github.io/plugins/QMovement )
1. QMap ( https://quxios.github.io/plugins/QMap ) will let you build maps with collision based on pixels and not grids. Just use the program that comes with it and you're done.
2. Use https://quxios.github.io/plugins/QM+CollisionMap along with a layer plugin like https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/galvs-layer-graphics-fogs-parallaxes-mapping.48483/ This will allow you to use your favorite art program to build a map. Just save your ground to a different layer so you can turn it off to create the collision map. This will basically allow you to have pixel perfect collision based on an image.

As for characters, you are going to want to use QSprite (https://quxios.github.io/plugins/QSprite ) because it will let you use any number of frames, change the character's poses, do any direction, etc.

I admit it's possible to hack something together with other plugins, but the results are pretty bad by comparison. Also if you need an on map combat system QABS is amazing, but requires a lot of setup.

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am familiar with the older Quasi movement. I am currently using alot of the Yanfly plugins I had from VXAce era. I will switch over to Q plugins for the pixel based aspect. I have Galvs plugins so i will use the layer plugin in combination with Qs plugins. I have tried Qmap and couldnt get it to launch. Also the Qmap Editor would install or launch correctly. Will attempt again. On a Linux system also.....

I have also considered migrating back to Godot engine as image layering and pixel collisions are native to the engine already. Downside is there will be a lot of coding for the rest of the game, especially for one person, which is why I'm again dabbling with RMMV.

Basic Layered map took 2 minutes....Screenshot from 2020-07-24 17-50-45.png

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, you too have the Linux issue. Yeah I'm sinking in that boat with QMap and QSprite's side programs. Thankfully the JSON file for QSprite is very easy to manually edit. I just resolved to setup my own collisions and strap images to events... But I do random map generation (see video in signature if interested), so that likely doesn't help you.

Kind of leaves you with the QM Collision option as your best choice. Though if you want to hack together another possible option, there's the other QM plugin add-on that lets you use a JSON file to setup the hit detection. You could use that and something like TileD to build your maps, but you will likely need to setup hit detection a different way.

Also Altimet https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/altimit-pixel-movement-0-50v.85408/ exists as the other pixel movement option. But the downside is you can't use QSprite's diagonals without QMovement, so you would have to find a second rate character sprite setup. Galv's, Yanfly's or Victor's come to mind. They will get the job done, but with very heavy restrictions and a loss of a lot of functionality.

Also Godot seems interesting, I didn't know it had that native. Honestly I may look into it... There are some definite things this engine is sorely lacking (like self variable support), that plugins basically have to fix. Though I'm kind of so caught up in this community, and have invested so much effort into what I have now... I'm very unlikely to switch. Though I admit, if the QPlugins don't make it to MZ, MZ will be completely useless to me. So Godot could be an interesting alternative. :popcorn:

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel that I'm spending a lot of time trying to get plugins to get along with eachother and force RMMV to do things it was never intended to do. Time that could be spent on the actual game...

Godot pros:
FREE
Native to Linux
built in layer sorting
2D or 3D games
simple collisions and hitboxes with custom shapes
unlimited animation frames with full control (can even simulate in between frames for "higher FPS")
can make any kind of game from first person 3D shooter to 2D twin stick
many, many features and options built in I havent even looked at

Cons:
learning curve can be difficult pending on scope of project in mind though many more tutorials recently

Be prepared to learn at least basic programing. (If you ever used Python, GDscript uses a similar syntax)

Advanced programming required for more complex games. "Plugins" aka pre-written scripts are available but limited.

P.S.
Does anyone ever collaborate here?

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, it really does take some serious plugin sorcery to make it all work. Now that I have my "favorite" 21 plugins that let me do just about anything... Stuff is good. But it sure took awhile, I had to write 5 of the plugins myself, and a 6th one was created by a collaboration I started recently https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/community-lighting.124274/

So to answer your question, sure collaborations happen. In fact there are even teams working on games, and we have a board dedicated to recruiting for projects. How often they work out, I don't know. I know for my collaboration I put it forth as I have already done this work, but if you want to help then you're welcome to and it worked out. But I also know people who desperately tried to make teams and failed. Just need to find the right like minded people, which isn't always the easiest task.

As far as plugins go and fighting with MV. It does do a lot of the boring extra stuff for you. Obviously the less you want your game to be like a standard JRPG, the more you'll have to fight with the engine though. Thankfully it's all built on PIXIJS and it's tilemap plugin, so at least MV's very extendable and the community around it is very strong. So if you don't mind bashing a square peg into a round hole until it works, there's a plugin for most things.

As for Godot, it seems interesting. At this point, I've just found it easier and easier to adapt MV to do what I want, and I'm so far along that adopting a new engine would probably set me back 6-12 months for my project. So it's kind of a curiosity, at this point. Really for me MV's just a pretty wrapper for PIXIJS, so I've been granting it more and more PIXI functionality. Technically I could just drop MV entirely and use PIXI as the engine outright. But like I said, kind of part of the community now and stuff already works, so no need to reinvent the wheel. :LZSwink:

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thats exactly why I would like to use RMMV over Godot, because of its streamlining of basic functions. Just having a hard time getting it all together. I honestly dont ming being stuck with the JRPG combat template as I can make it more interesting with a few tweaks, storytelling, and other gameplay elements. I just want to be able to use Jesse's assets and parallax map. For anything beyond basic JRPG such as an ARPG, I would definitely just go with Godot. You can setup an animated walking player on a parallax map with enemies, collisions, hitboxes, sprinting, rolling, and attacking in about 1 hour.
Would you mind sharing your plugin list or atleast your recommended list for Jesse's assets? Mainly just want to be able to parallax properly with collisions. Got Galvs animated sprite plugin currently but will try Qsprite. Was using Yanfly region restriction, I can work around grid based collisions if need be. Cant get Qmap collision to load map...

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Huh, well that's tempting. Though building an entire randomly generating world again from scratch would probably be pretty time consuming in it. Still... Noting to lie, that does make me want to take a closer look at it.

Anyway my plugin list is currently...
Community Basic
Forces WebGL, and changes the image cache limit.

Community Lighting
The most in-depth lighting plugin MV has to offer.

SRD - Super Tools Engine, Hud Maker
Lets you visually build HUDs, requires Super Tools Engine.

Yanfly Engine - Core Engine, Self Variables & Switches
Self Variables, requires Core Engine.

Quxios - QPlus, QMovement, QSprite, QSpeed
We talked already about QMovement and QSprite, QSpeed just lets me use variable speed and acceleration. All of them require QPlus

Tsukimi - ParticleEmitter
Enables the use of PIXI particles in MV. I literally remade my game's graphics with this.

Moghunter - Character Motion, Weather EX
Character Motion has some quick and dirty methods of "animating" your stuff to give it more of an alive feel. Weather EX is just some insanely in-depth weather system.

Triacontan - Character Graphic Extend
Enables the ability to replace event graphics with animations or single frame pics (instead of spritesheets). Also has a lot of other features I haven't looked into yet (it's in Japanese). I will probably replace this plugin later and just use my own image plugin.

My personal plugins are...
A random world creator.
A plugin to let me place text at any height, create fonts, move it all around, and bind it to the player, events, the map or the screen.
I've got one for images that does the same as the text one, except it obviously doesn't create fonts.
And I've got an tools plugin that deals with interactions, and event behaviors.
Oh and one other plugin that is just the stuff I wanted to overwrite in MV, like skipping the title screen, remapping controls, etc, etc.

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome! Thanks so much for your help thus far! I will try those plugins out. For a change of pace though, I think tonight I'm going to dive into Godot and see how far I can get in less than 24 hours. just to see if its realistic for one person. will post results lol. As far as the random map generator it sounds interesting. I believe implementing such a thing would be fairly easy. I have seen rogue-likes in godot with dungeons that randomly generate after every death.

Also it seems they now have a new "visual scripting" mode

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Huh, well I will definitely be interested to see your results. Not going to lie, sometimes MV makes it feel like I'm trying to make the Mona Lisa... in MS Paint. So if something else does it way easier, I'm definitely interested. :LZSwink:

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV makes it feel like I'm trying to make the Mona Lisa... in MS Paint - ACCURATE

After about 4 hours of bumbling around I was able to put together a map with working parallax on all objects, 8 way movement, pixel perfect collisions, idle and walking animations, and a super cool flashy boot splash screen. I am in the process of doing the diagonal movement animation now. Best part is anything can be saved as a new object. For instance the tent has a ground layer, roof layer, and collision shape. Instead of having to build it everytime I can save it as a complete tent and it will retain all of its properties. Now i can place tents all I want and not have to mess with layers or collisions for it ever again.
Here is a short clip

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not going to lie, to do that in MV you need QMovement, QSprite and QM Collision Map. To be fair it actually doesn't really take very long once you know those exist or how to use them. But of course that still forces you to hand make every map. Optionally you could set the tent as an event image and then use QMovement to set it's hit box, and then you'd have a tent you could place over and over (basically what I do). But yeah, doing that in MV... It's definitely a lot of initial work.

Pretty cool the option is there though. If I hadn't already set everything up in MV, or gotten so far along in my game I would consider using it. Though I admit, replicating what I'm doing in MV in that might be very hard in Godot. Duplicating the artistic tricks and methods I did to make my game look like surrealistic art... Well... it's a lot of PIXI. So I'd have to try and hook it into Godot if possible... Yeah, too far along. :kaoswt:

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Godot is a lot of initial setup at first as well but once its done... its done. Can even be used in another game. So its a matter of setting up all your assets with their layers and collisions and then just drag and drop them into any game you want. The visual scripting feature is pretty great but can still get confusing if your unfamiliar with programming, even for the simplest of tasks. For instance here is my script for 8 way movement and its matching animations. Mind you I can now drag and drop this script on to any character in any game I want now that its done!!!

You can also use the master sprite sheets as well.

Screenshot from 2020-07-26 02-02-05.png

Last edited:

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A little experiment....
Its possible to make your entire game on one map with no loading or map transfers?
I suddenly envision an entire game taking place on one massive mural of artwork....

Last edited:

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Awkwardly that's more confusing looking to me than code. Probably because I've written a handful of complex plugins, but never done that visual style. It does look interesting though.

Currently to do pixel movement for anything I just have to tell the event "move towards player". Though I'm going to introduce QPathfind later (once I'm done remaking the lighting plugin) so it will be QPathfind [target] to make it pixel move towards anything, and it has some amount of logic to get around stuff. Originally I did write my own 8 way movement... But I'm not going to lie, pixel just looks so much better.

A bit costly on performance though. Which is why I'm reworking my lighting plugin. For some incredibly silly reason I decided my character would always be running (it thematically/gameplay fits)... But that means stuff needs to render at twice the speed it would for a walking character.

But really it's not as simple as just popping my assets over. My entire game world is built during runtime, the mountains, the forests, land, water... everything is made from a pool of assets out of particles. So the assets look nothing like the finished product. To replicate the effect in Godot I would need to build a PIXI particle plugin for it. Since I didn't even make the one for MV, that sounds like a lot of work figuring that out. :LZSwink:

Godot does look interesting though, I will probably check it out at some point. I've also considered just going straight to Unity. But as weird as it sounds, a lot of interest I get for my game is actually because I somehow made it in MV. So if I use any other program, I lose a good portion people's interest in the game. Plus the free advertising produced by the forum.

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Being able to accomplish such things in a program that those things were never intended will always command respect. Unity wasnt a good experience for me, thats how I ended up finding Godot. If I could afford a decent desktop computer I would be using Unreal engine again, but a 10 year old laptop running linux limits my capabilities lol

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You're actually the second person I've encountered here that said they had bad experiences with Unity. I get you have to code everything yourself (unless you buy stuff), but is that really so bad? Or was it some other reason?

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly it was just the overall experience from the interface to the syntax of the language used (I believe it can now accept a few languages). I learned python a few years back during my lunch breaks at work and really like its syntax and ease of use, especially its readability. Godot uses GDscript when not in "visual mode", Its just python with extra shortcut features specific to the engine like drag and drop anything into the code to "get" it or "set" it. Unity has come a long way since I used it a few years ago. Im sure its improved quite a bit as I see its quite standard these days. Give it a try!

This is my 8 way movement and animations for an ARPG in GDscriptScreenshot from 2020-07-26 03-02-12.png

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah that's fair. I would only consider it for a future project (because a 3D world would be amazing). As you can see from the video in my signature, I'm insanely far along. So there's no real gain by switching, sure the tool itself is better but I'd be starting from square one. So all it would do is increase dev time substantially. Plus I only know Javascript at the moment, with a specialization in PIXI, so I'd need to learn another language only further increasing dev time.

Godot does say it can use JS though, so that seems not the worst. I've also considered Phaser or just using PIXI5 by itself... But again, I'm weighing extended dev time for what I gain. If knew what I knew now (which I learned getting here so I wouldn't)... I would have used another engine. But now that I can almost anything in MV it's kind of silly to switch. Still I do as a guilty pleasure like to check out other engines. :LZSwink:

B_Savage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel guilty just talking about anything else here.... Godot does 3D easier than 2D from what I understand. I also just had a browse through the demo project files and found one for 2D particles!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image_2021-06-13_150033.png

Maybe I'll actually try making a retro pack. Already have the shark fin made so why not xD
Hey everyone, for everybody following along with my RPG Maker MZ streams: There will unfortunately not be a stream tonight. There is a big exciting event that will go live next week that has been taking all my time, so look forward to that!
Took a small break by playing VR. Latest update of these glasses unfortunately caused a little of trouble but it can be fixed with a manual operation.

Until You Fall is freaking awesome.
I am SO HYPED to share this trailer with everyone when its done. I almost want to tear up i had no idea how far i came along with Fallen Feather in these last 3 years.
how it looks from the top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FSTR