what is meant by a switch ?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Medo, May 31, 2016.

1. Medo

Medo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    what is meant by a switch ? and when will I use it ? if u have a link pls put it . :)

Thx in advance :)  

2. 8era

8era Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A switch is like a variable with only 2 values, it's either 0 or 1 (On or Off) 

Think about it as a lightswitch, if you press it, everything attached to it will turn on.

Medo likes this.
  3. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    When will I use it?

Switches are the single most important thing in the event list and you will use them everywhere.

Switches let the game know that you have done something. They are a simple variable that can be true or false.

You place them with conditional branches to test whether they are true or false, and use them like so.

Has the player Done This?

Yes - do that

No - don't do that, do this

If you don't use a switch at the end of an event, then even if the player saves their game, when they come back the event will be back to the start again. Switches are a means of saving the status of events. But moreso, they are used to track your progress through the game.

Medo likes this.
  4. poatodude9

poatodude9 Warper Member

Switches are, as everyone already said, variables that only have two states, on or off.

For example, if you were making a game about collecting 8 or so items, you could make a switch called "Item 1 collected". If this was on, you couldn't collect Item 1 again and, odds are, you'd be able to move on to the next area if you turn the switch on. You could also use it in an event. Say if Switch 1 wasn't on, there would be a show text command that says "Switch 1 is not on." but if it was on, you could either put in a conditional branch to see if a switch was on or not or a new event page. If Switch 1 WAS on however, you could make it say "Switch 1 is on. When you use it is when you want to block progression. Say you were in a town that you needed to do a quest in to progress. You could put an event with a locked gate graphic near where you leave from and, when you complete the quest, Switch <x> is turned on and you can pass due to the graphic changing on the new event page since Switch <x> is on.

I hope I explained Switches well enough!

5. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    switches are also the second most usefull event tool, you can do all sorts of crazy things with them. the most usefull being variables. combine the uses of switches and variables and you can do a lot of cool things in your game