What is something that seemed simple, but turned out to be a nightmare?

HankB

Actual size
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, it was creating a "match 3" type minigame with RMMV. I'd played those types of games before, and they just seemed so stupidly simple that I assumed that creating one in RM would be a breeze. Boy, was I wrong. I jumped into the boxing ring like I was Rocky, and then just got clobbered.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to take a term seen in anime, "Real Life Offline" worst game ever made, like living in a nightmare.

non-linier town builder, not much of an issue when overhauled it to be linier. but was originally trying for a choice based progression and that was turning into a nightmare for mapping and eventing.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making my own video game :wink: :stickytongue:

Arctica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Things that look simple are the ones that are a pain to design. In my case, if I can't do it through eventing, oh boy there goes my day.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried to create a chase event with multiple mine carts on interlooping rails...in the end I just screwed the idea and moved to some narrated events displaying the chase instead of actually playing it out.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Living a life as an adult.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Everything I seem to touch??? I can't even go to the grocery store without it ending up more complicated than it should have been. "Simple" sewing projects are usually the biggest offenders. The devil really is in the details.

As far as in game design, though, making rugs appear at the correct angle for the perspective. I've always struggled a bit with perspective but it's super obvious, when I try to make a totally-not-suspicious rug for definitely-not-shady manor.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will-o-wistful