What is something that seemed simple, but turned out to be a nightmare?

HankB

Actual size
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, it was creating a "match 3" type minigame with RMMV. I'd played those types of games before, and they just seemed so stupidly simple that I assumed that creating one in RM would be a breeze. Boy, was I wrong. I jumped into the boxing ring like I was Rocky, and then just got clobbered.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to take a term seen in anime, "Real Life Offline" worst game ever made, like living in a nightmare.

non-linier town builder, not much of an issue when overhauled it to be linier. but was originally trying for a choice based progression and that was turning into a nightmare for mapping and eventing.

Arctica

The Arbiter of Time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Things that look simple are the ones that are a pain to design. In my case, if I can't do it through eventing, oh boy there goes my day.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried to create a chase event with multiple mine carts on interlooping rails...in the end I just screwed the idea and moved to some narrated events displaying the chase instead of actually playing it out.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Everything I seem to touch??? I can't even go to the grocery store without it ending up more complicated than it should have been. "Simple" sewing projects are usually the biggest offenders. The devil really is in the details.

As far as in game design, though, making rugs appear at the correct angle for the perspective. I've always struggled a bit with perspective but it's super obvious, when I try to make a totally-not-suspicious rug for definitely-not-shady manor.

Shuutaa

The corgis lover.
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not giving up.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
True Dual Wielding and getting it to work w/ LeTBS. Took me quite a while, but I eventually got it working. By "true Dual Wielding", I mean where each swing is calculated individually with only the stats of the swinging arm with each swing getting its own Hit%, Crit%, Unleash%, & formula as well.

Last edited:

Dolorre

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Making a bargaining system in RPG Maker MV through events (and a little scripting). It was made harder by the fact I was using a Yanfly plugin that made items unique, therefore giving each item a unique ID instead of the ID used in the Items databse. I had to use metatags and scripting to get it working.

I spent 10+ hours on it and left it alone for days multiple times. Almost gave up on my entire project because of it.

But somehow, I got it working! Praise be to Google and helpful people on the forums!

ShiraCheshire

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything. Haha.

All the things I thought would be hard when I first got the program (like giving each party leader unique dialogue when inspecting things, or having the player input a password, or using variables) turned out to be super easy. And all the things I thought would be a breeze (like making a new attack, or doing art, or even just throwing tiles down to make a map) turned out to be way harder than expected...

One thing that bit me particularly hard is wanting to make an area that would generate in a random order each time. I had the idea of 9 different map tiles of the same size, and what order they were arranged in (from the player's perspective, of course internally it's all just maps and transfers) would change each time the player encountered them. It took a bit of work to approach how I'd solve this problem, but once I had the logistics of it worked out I thought it would be easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I was SO WRONG. Even once I knew what I wanted to do, the actual eventing took days. Just hour after hour after hour of telling the game how to know which map was where, setting up every possible transfer, and then each time I finished one I had to start all over for the next room. I felt like I was going insane, line after line after line after line for endless hours.

I finally finished it and realized... It had never been a particularly fun idea to start with, and none of my friends I had playtest it noticed or cared that the arrangement of maps was random. I could have gotten the same effect with just 2 or 3 pre-made variations as well, instead of having the game 100% randomly order them. Just because it was a cool-sounding idea from a technical standpoint didn't mean it was anything special in gameplay. Lesson learned. Ha.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Creating a scene where the characters are on a boat that gets hit by cannon fire, and they all get thrown back at the same time there is a big splosion.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.
Mod name: "[Game name] Gameplay Overhaul"
What they actually mean: "Here is a mod that makes the game harder."
I decided to reinstall one of my most favourite game of all times, Gothic 2. Time to get back to Khorinis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yumeowari