• Total voters

Enigmo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I recently started thinking about how the RPG Maker series were like "the best thing in the world" for me back then.
Specifically talking about RPGXP, RPGVX and RPGVX Ace. I was wondering if it's still worth it making scripts/tools/etc. for them.
Does anyone still use them (XP, VX, VX Ace) today?

Since I'm an "old school" dude, and I don't really want to switch to MV/MZ, I'd be grateful if everyone who sees this thread picks the options from the poll that is true for them.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been working on a project in VX Ace for nearly six years, so yes it's still used today. :guffaw: While I believe that MV/MZ are an upgrade, there are many things about VXAce that I like and enjoy more than the later ones(also because I know much more about Ace and how things work).

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I started at Rm2k3, then migrated to 2k, even after the announcement of RmXP I insisted on staying at 2k.
I created some systems for RMXP, barely used VX.

From time to time I use ACE, but as my computer is not in English I cannot create systems to post here, in particular the VX / ACE text box is much better than the RMXP.

What MV / MZ brought the best:
Being able to use a code editor outside the engine, greatly improving the search for "keywords" in more than one file.
It is not as slow as at the time of the MV's release, probably due to some update.
It is possible, even with difficulty, to port a game to more platforms, including the browser.

RMXP / VX / ACE:
I assume they use DirectX 11, which can make a game more fluid compared to WebGL.

But I have a motto since 2008:
"Who makes the game is the developer and not the engine"
So, I believe it depends a lot on the engine user.

Thefirelion

TheFireLion Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do not plan to leave vx ace in a very long time, besides, now For a year I have been working on a project in the aforementioned engine, and yes, there are still scripters for ruby language, but they concentrate more on the support than on the release of scripts.

I started with Rpg Maker XP, then I bought VX ace. I have bought the previous engines for the mid music and sprites that they bring (if I want to use them at some point). As far as MV and MZ are concerned, they don't really appeal to me.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are people still using RM95. The others aren't going anywhere just yet. :)

Wyrelade

Wyrelade - The one and only.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I only use RPG maker VX ace. The look of MV and MZ are not my type.
I still actively produce new content and scipts for VXA.

I did the switch from VX to Ace pretty quickly when it came out since it was just basically "better VX".

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes people still use them. However, I don't think that will necessarily answer your question of whether "it's still worth it making scripts/tools/etc. for them", because, it really depends on what you want to get out of making them, or simply, what would make it worth it to you.

My personal opinion is, if you are hoping to monetize the scripts/tools you make with the intent to earn a significant amount of money, then no, I don't think there are enough still using the older engines to really make it worthwhile. However, if you just feel like making things because you enjoy it and want to share what you make, then go for it.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ace, MV, and of course MZ all still have very active communities. XP still certainly has some dedicated users who can share in the same passion you have for "old school" game-making, but it will be harder to find answers to obscure issues in XP or to find people to write you a script to address your needs - and VX, 2K/3, and the rest all have that same issue but even moreso.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never liked XP, but I wouldn't mind going back to VX Ace, if I had to. Or even RM2K(3) for a non-combat game.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Whether making a script and/or tools for them is something worth doing or not is entirely up to you. But newer tools have more users if you prefer to reach more people.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My last game was in ACE, and so is my current project. After that though I may upgrade to MZ unless there is something ACE is just more suited for.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are all still used, but the older they are, the smaller the population of users. I suspect Ace is really the only one still in common use. But if you wanted to make scripts for XP and VX, that very small population will likely be very grateful, as hardly anyone is making them now. Also note though, the older the engine, the higher the chance you're going to have compatibility issues with other existing scripts. The core scripts became more modular/specialized with each new engine, making it easier to keep scripts with more isolated functions.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
with VX Ace, I guess RPG Maker VX become redundant IMO. I mostly switch between VX ace and MV, but still prefer VX Ace because i feel its quick to use and i fond its graphic style.

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Behold, we are the ancient cult of RMXP.

In NEOLITHIC, RMXP waits dreaming :kaojoy:
When the stars align, we will return. :kaojoy:
Mankind will learn new kinds of fear once we are here.:kaojoy:
As we reclaim all in our name, watch only can powerless man. :kaojoy:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Needs a "none of the above" checkbox.

- As a developer, I'd rather use MV/MZ because they're easier to work with, more flexible, and look more professional as an end product.

- As a player, I'd rather play games made with MV/MZ because they're not stuck in a 4:3 aspect ratio and don't force me to either look at a tiny window or use a janky, window-resizing fullscreen.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The question is "what is still used today", not "what is used today" but ok.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
I don't see how anyone can use RMVX unless they bought it, and they want to justify the money spent on it or are still making a game on it. VX Ace is just superior in everything and in my opinion should've been what VX is.

Wyrelade

Wyrelade - The one and only.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't see how anyone can use RMVX unless they bought it, and they want to justify the money spent on it or are still making a game on it. VX Ace is just superior in everything and in my opinion should've been what VX is.
This really did not answer the question of what is being used today... This was just an personal opinion.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
This really did not answer the question of what is being used today... This was just an personal opinion.
You’re correct in saying I was stating a personal opinion because I was. But the point of that opinion was for readers of this topic to not buy rpg maker VX because it’s a waste of money when there’s already a upgraded version in VX Ace.

The poll is supposed to answer the topic, the number reflecting the users that are still using those engines. Which it did.

bigcalsworld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Only own VX Ace, and I started making a game around 6 years ago so I'm obviously still using it lol. If I ever finish this off, I MIGHT upgrade to whatever the newest version out is lol.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Playing my game to improve my game. (Totally not procrastinating)
Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:
It's a common thing to forget eating &drinking while you are working concentrated, right?
If I had discovered RPG-Maker before moving together with my girlfriend, I'd have died of dehydration a long time ago.
Ami
trying to change my picture & got screwed up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryweuu