RMMV What is the best way to fix picture blinking(Flickering)?

decinbr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
brazil
Primarily Uses
When i change picture to show another they stays flickering.
The same with character graphic

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
When i change picture to show another they stays flickering.
The same with character graphic
Are you referring to the bug when you change from Character graphic A to B, there's a single frame where the graphic is completely blank? Unfortunately it's a problem with the program and how it handles loading assets into memory. I would recommend looking up a Preloader plugin... there a various choices to choose from, but basically you'll need to preload the graphics into memory in order to avoid this issue.

Looks like someone already offered you this solution as well: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/help-picture-blink.119525/#post-1050300

Check the plugins section and do a search.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I thought MV had already fixed this bug long ago, but if you want a quick workaround that doesn't require any code:

- create an event off screen
- change the graphic of the offscreen event to the same you want
- add a wait command with a small number of frames (like 5)
- change the graphic on the event you actually want to change.

the bug happens because MV removes the old event graphic as soon as the new one starts loading. If they waited for the new graphic to load, there would be no blinking (and the wait would be just a few milliseconds, so it would not make any difference).

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I thought MV had already fixed this bug long ago, but if you want a quick workaround that doesn't require any code:

- create an event off screen
- change the graphic of the offscreen event to the same you want
- add a wait command with a small number of frames (like 5)
- change the graphic on the event you actually want to change.

the bug happens because MV removes the old event graphic as soon as the new one starts loading. If they waited for the new graphic to load, there would be no blinking (and the wait would be just a few milliseconds, so it would not make any difference).

Unfortunately it's still an issue that carried over into RMMZ as well. It's a real shame because I don't recall this bug with any of the other RPG maker engines prior to RMMV. I've used your solution in the past as a quick fix, but even that method has failed me from time-to-time without any consistency.

I've personally resorted to using Galv's Preloader and pretty much manually preloading most of my commonly used graphics. I know there's also plugins that preload all assets, but I'm warry those plugins are more apt to cause crashes depending on how many files your game is trying to keep in memory at once.

GmOcean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is this in regards to pulling up an image like a character's Bust picture and then switching it to another picture?
Or in regards to changing the graphic chosen for an event to a different one?

If it's the latter you can try ticking the "direction fix" box for the event. Usually the flickering in this case is in regards to the graphic not having all the directional sprites.

If it's the former, than no idea.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i just started upload some of my selfmade Pixel Art on DA,
visit me there if you are interressted^^

Im sorry but..I Want to play a game.
Anyone here is familiar with the US Law ? I'm working on a game idea at the moment and I have several questions on my mind :p
I just lost an hour plus of time to trying to modify the _battlefield sprite... when in reality MZ calls it _battleField ;_;

Even when debugging for the "undefined value", it looked exactly the same to my 20/60 eyesight.

I really prefer this_naming_convention rather than thisNamingConvention !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidlen