What is the best way to use demo projects?

lansky

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi,

There are several plugins out there, let's say, some abs plugin, and there is a demoproject shared by the developer. Instead of installing plugin and start using it from scratch, I guess it would be easier for newbies to copy events and other stuff on demo project.

So, what is the best way to do it? Opening a demo project, and creating new maps on it?

Thanks

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't try to create your project out of a demo project. For things like plugins, demo projects exist mostly to show you how they can work when fully and properly configured in a game - you should then take the time to configure it in your game the way you like.

For other things, like animations and tilesets, the big purpose of a demo project is to be able to copy the database entries over to your existing project so you don't have to manually configure all of the animation frames or tileset passabilities.

Owltears

One day I will make something!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
A good idea would be to check the events green comment section as some devs put comments on how to use their commands in events to give you an idea of how you can use them in your game.

What I normally do is if I'm having an issue with a script/plugin etc, is copy an event of something I'm trying to make in my game that's close enough and edit it as needed.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just to sorta clarify why people are advising you against using the demo projects as your base:

The demo projects might contain assets that you aren't licensed to use. They also are usually missing assets and other files that would normally come in a new RPG Maker project, because the devs tend to remove unneeded things in order to cut down the file size of the demo. They could be missing things from the database. They could be using an outdated version of the database. They could have outdated libraries and outdated core scripts. And probably other reason that I forgot between the time that I started typing this and just now.

There could be a situation where the dev actually advises you to use the demo project as your base, because maybe there are multiple things that need to be configured in a very specific way, but unless they say to do that, you should generally create your own project and just use the demo project as a reference.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Remember to do your 0,01% progress on your game today!
Went to see Jujutsu Kaisen 0 yesterday, it was cool. The movie wasnt really a masterpiece, it had some pacing and characterization problems, but overall I enjoyed it, maybe because it was the first anime film I have ever been to in the cinema lol. The battle animation & music were top-notch. I havent seen much of the anime so people who watched the entire season would probably like it more.
MainMenu.PNG
Finally satisfied with the main menu xD

The plan was to have battle sprites in the menu...But these faces from Ocean's Nostalgia look pretty damn good imo. (Will have to adjust for them ofc and maybe recolor to match the overworld/battle sprites more)
It's always disturbing to me to see my cat eating something off the bathroom floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonson