What is the future of the RPG Maker series?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will there be more RM iterations after RMMZ? I wasn't so into this engine and didn't even purchase it. What could be its successor(s) that would be as good as RMMV when it has come out? I am not sure if they can create new features and in their new RMs that could be so good and so successful.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
First off, I highly recommend MZ -- it's a big performance improvement over MV, and when coupled with HUD Maker Ultra (free) / HUD Maker Ultra Pro (paid) it becomes astoundingly flexible. The only thing missing to me is native platformer design. Would be a dream if they incorporated that somehow into the next Maker.

in short, 1. Add HUD Maker Ultra to the editor 2. Add basic platformer map mode with modifiable physics (2D)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there will be a new version every four or five years as long as they find people who buy them, and each version will have improvements over the previous ones.

some of those improvements will be minor and everyone has to decide for themselves whether a new version has enough improvements to be worth buying.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish the improvements would instead be "major". What "major" things can they add in the next RM installation?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@A_Higher_Plane they usually have at least one major improvement in each new version.

for example from MV to MZ they had two major changes:
1) manual layer control on the maps
2) change the animations to effects

That might not sound as much for a user, but believe me that IS a major change from programming

saintivan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish the improvements would instead be "major". What "major" things can they add in the next RM installation?
Sure, everyone wants major improvements....but remember the price and the user-friendly interface. Can't have everything.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if you noticed, but the future is already here:
Pixel Game Maker MV, and Visual Novel Maker.

The fact they branched out to different maker-softwares, means RPG Maker itself will be staying relatively the same. (Just changing/updating the tech it uses underneath. And some slight changes in the editor.)

Instead of adding more features and expanding on RPG Maker. They instead kept RPG Maker... to straight-forward, turn based RPGs.
And for other genre of games, they switched to making different engines in the maker series.
Pixel Game Maker MV for action and platformers.
Visual Novel Maker for visual novels.

Perhaps what you might want to look forward to... is what other new 'makers' they produce.
And not the improvements they make on RPG Maker itself.

Because it's not about the future of 'RPG Maker Series' anymore.
It's the future of the 'Maker Series' now.
:LZSexcite:

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@A_Higher_Plane they usually have at least one major improvement in each new version.

for example from MV to MZ they had two major changes:
1) manual layer control on the maps
2) change the animations to effects

That might not sound as much for a user, but believe me that IS a major change from programming
I feel like the animation effects change is more of a side grade than a straight upgrade, personally. If they added that while preserving the old animation functionality then, yeah, upgrade.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I somehow completely missed that they had a pixel maker. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention!

Sullien

Dev Candidate
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In terms of RPG Maker itself, it's very likely they will continue releasing newer versions, considering however the burnout that scripts being incompatible from one version to the next has caused so far I imagine they will likely be implementing more quality of life features in more modern versions, other than that, I don't really believe it will be changing much.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New releases every 5 years or so, with rather incremental changes/upgrades. Nothing major from version to version. I'm not seeing them doing anything radically new, but who knows...

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When the RPG Maker series takes their adventures in 3D fully then it will be a major revolution.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When the RPG Maker series takes their adventures in 3D fully then it will be a major revolution.

Agree fully! I wish I could create a fully 3D RM game like Final Fantasy IX and X. Can this RM ever possibly happen?

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Agree fully! I wish I could create a fully 3D RM game like Final Fantasy IX and X. Can this RM ever possibly happen?
Not sure if Final Fantasy-like graphics are gonna happen in the first version (maybe with plugins). But something to the budget of more independent games like Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth or Atelier Ryza -and if you don't believe me feel free to check videos of these games and tell the quality of the animations and maps between these games and modern Final Fantasy's.

Image below: Hyperdimension Neptunia
HNR1PC_Jan212015_01.jpg

Image below: Final Fantasy XIII
final-fantasy-xiii-gedosato-2.jpg

Image below: Final Fantasy XV
maxresdefault.jpg

In order words, I can see the devs aiming for the result like Neptunia because it's easier to map, develop and program, but hey the sky is the limit.

AAA companies nowadays the only value they can offer is providing is game engine development. They can offer good looking demos, but they are organized by a committee and investors, specially investors.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think the future for RPG Maker is to become the one stop for a dev's RPG needs from conventional turn-based to Zelda-esque Action-RPG/Adventure games, Tactical RPGs and what I also think would be good is the ability to have rudimentary 3D capabilities, think along the lines of "Shining the Holy Ark" or the dungeons from Phantasy Star I.

I think RPG Maker's future is flexibility and versatility whilst also providing incremental improvements and minor features to better the user experience.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can this RM ever possibly happen?
unlikely
going 3D would basically destroy the PC-series of RPG-Makers.

3D is less easy to customize than 2D - it needs more and different skills (modeling and rigging instead of drawing and pixeling), so it would destroy one of the strengths of the current makers - the large art community releasing tiles and sprites.
At the same time RM would leave a niche where it is the top-dog (2D-classic RPG) to fight an uphill battle against Unity and similar engines that are already well-established in the 3D game creation.

Unless something drastically changes how 3D-models are handled, any such move would be commercial suicide for the product.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the same time RM would leave a niche where it is the top-dog (2D-classic RPG) to fight an uphill battle against Unity and similar engines that are already well-established in the 3D game creation.

Unless something drastically changes how 3D-models are handled, any such move would be commercial suicide for the product.

This. Very well worded Andar.
And honestly, the main value I see in 3D plugins for RPG Maker, like MV3D and UltraMode7. Is the ability to turn them on/off within the game. And return back to full 2D. (A feature that rarely anyone uses...)

Unreal Engine has blueprints... you can make 3D games on it without any programming. And making good graphics on unreal engine is insanely easy. (The lighting and visual effects and post-processing features in Unreal Engine are top-tier in the business.)
Similarly, Unity has 'bolt', I believe.

RPG Maker going 3D means going up against these other juggernauts.
And while we may want RPG Maker to be the best engine in the market. Realize that it's not trying to be. And it doesn't want to be.

Gotcha Gotcha games in an interview with 4gamer.net brought up how RPG Maker has been a stepping stone for a lot of game developers in the industry today.
And so that is the smart thing to focus on... to be that stepping stone for future game developers.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This. Very well worded Andar.
And honestly, the main value I see in 3D plugins for RPG Maker, like MV3D and UltraMode7. Is the ability to turn them on/off within the game. And return back to full 2D. (A feature that rarely anyone uses...)

Unreal Engine has blueprints... you can make 3D games on it without any programming. And making good graphics on unreal engine is insanely easy. (The lighting and visual effects and post-processing features in Unreal Engine are top-tier in the business.)
Similarly, Unity has 'bolt', I believe.

RPG Maker going 3D means going up against these other juggernauts.
And while we may want RPG Maker to be the best engine in the market. Realize that it's not trying to be. And it doesn't want to be.

Gotcha Gotcha games in an interview with 4gamer.net brought up how RPG Maker has been a stepping stone for a lot of game developers in the industry today.
And so that is the smart thing to focus on... to be that stepping stone for future game developers.
At the same time, some people think it's *just* a stepping stone and nothing else, and that it isn't viable as an end point in and of itself without people who use it aiming to move on to "better" things, which is kind of insulting to many of the better devs in the community.

Leading on from that is the impression (and I've seen a lot of people say this) that if you use RPG Maker, it's because you're not smart, good, talented or capable enough to use something "better" like Unity or Unreal, which is patently ridiculous.

Neptrone

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Primarily Uses
N/A
I wonder what happen with in-built isometric map ? they introduced it back on 2016 and until now there is not info about that.

edit : i would love to see some feature to make SLG game more easier...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder what happen with in-built isometric map ?
my guess would be that further testing revealed it to be more complex and problematic that usable.
that would not be the first time something like that happened.

for example there were two official projects (at different time by different people) to create a mobile output from VXAce. both produced exactly one game, and the game developer who helped in the second case reported here on the forum that that conversion was one hell of a work requiring specific reprogramming in C for every feature of the game, because RGSS couldn't be used.
They then basically abandoned the idea, switching to javascript to enable mobile output on MV.

and there was a project to break the screen size limit of the Ace dll as well, enabling Ace games with any screen size, that was abandoned as well with the switch to MV.

And converting a square map to an isometric map has so many problems that it doesn't surprise me they abandoned that - but perhaps they use that knowledge to get an isometric maker out. Because most of the problems come from trying to support both square and iso in the same mapping...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ok is telling someone that their drawing isnt good rude
I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png
Caz
At the risk of giving myself even more work to do, I kinda wanna redraw the faces of the MV RTP to be a little less.. uhhhhh..

mv-redraw.png
Hmm...you'd think in this day and age, what with Japanese Schoolgirls frequenting anime, JRGs and whatever else...that someone might have made some gym clothes for the generator. You know, the ones with the short bloomers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somsomsom