CardeMaker

Just a creative guy
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, i'm trying for long implement ABS System on my project, and the majority of ABS plugins are HUGE, like: you have to download the demo, you have to copy and paste all the things to your project, the pugin requires his own HUD, you have to put the HUD on you project, there's A LOT of parameters to set and etc...
But you also can make a ABS System using native RPG Maker Events... witch requires a lot of variables, common events and switches... it is confusing anyway.
so i'm here to ask if there a simple plugin that only allows you to slap events on the map and after a certain damage they disappear/faint/die, the simplest concept of an ABS, without copy pasting or confusing variables, just an melee attack on an event, or maybe an bow system, but for now i'm only looking for that, a simple way to make your game with action battle.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on what you need exactly. Do you need to swing a sword, use a shield or just shoot with a gun. If the last one then Nicke's solution is pretty good.

I don't think Moghunter's ABS is that complicated. Instead of copying and pasting, make your project in Moghunter's file. That was what I did. You can then twist as you want.

But again, it depends on what kind of ABS you are looking for. There aren't many ABS plugins out there though.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CardeMaker
If I'm allowed to exaggerate a bit, that is like asking "what is the simplest way to travel to and land on the moon" ...

you have to be more specific as to what the minimum complexity of ABS you want - because the simplest form of an ABS would be evented without any variables, simply enemy events that approach the actor and when touching there is a short check if the player or the event attacks first. If the player attack the event is dead (no damage calculation or skills because the events have no HP at all), if the event attacks first the player looses some HP.

of course that is extremely primitive as an ABS, but it is as simplest as possible.
and even that "simplest" will require you to learn a bit of programming logic to make the code for deciding who attacks first, so it is not zero effort.

so basically you need to tell us what is the minimum you want as ABS complexity, and then you have to accept that it will require effort from you to learn how to use what we point you at.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It depends on what you need exactly. Do you need to swing a sword, use a shield or just shoot with a gun. If the last one then Nicke's solution is pretty good.

I don't think Moghunter's ABS is that complicated. Instead of copying and pasting, make your project in Moghunter's file. That was what I did. You can then twist as you want.

But again, it depends on what kind of ABS you are looking for. There aren't many ABS plugins out there though.

I second this.
The usability of moghunter's ABS in MV was very high compared to others.
The demo went through most functionality, and there is a lot to copy-paste to make it your own out-of-the-box as compared to having to build everything from scratch, or needing indepth coding knowledge etc.

Of course, as with any ABS, if you want to take advantage of all features/functionality available, you'll need to do some digging/research to understand your engine of choice (no matter what you choose).

CardeMaker

Just a creative guy
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CardeMaker
If I'm allowed to exaggerate a bit, that is like asking "what is the simplest way to travel to and land on the moon" ...

you have to be more specific as to what the minimum complexity of ABS you want - because the simplest form of an ABS would be evented without any variables, simply enemy events that approach the actor and when touching there is a short check if the player or the event attacks first. If the player attack the event is dead (no damage calculation or skills because the events have no HP at all), if the event attacks first the player looses some HP.

of course that is extremely primitive as an ABS, but it is as simplest as possible.
and even that "simplest" will require you to learn a bit of programming logic to make the code for deciding who attacks first, so it is not zero effort.

so basically you need to tell us what is the minimum you want as ABS complexity, and then you have to accept that it will require effort from you to learn how to use what we point you at.
So, what i'm intending to do is: the enemy have an HP not showed for players, the weapon that you uses can change the damage caused according to the weapon's parameters, and at last, i'm not using the action button, that's why i said that about variables, you need to calculate the distance of the player and event, and make sure that the player is facing the event to hit it, that's why i'm looking for a plugin, i'll try to make an HUD using events, which is pretty easy and very customizable

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
at last, i'm not using the action button, that's why i said that about variables, you need to calculate the distance of the player and event, and make sure that the player is facing the event to hit it,
again, not enough info to even guess
How does the player attack if not by action button?
How do you set the weapon range, or can the weapon hit anything in that direction even on the other side of a worldmap if there are no obstacles in the way?
will the weapon have a strict line (missing events even one tile to the side) or a cone of effect?
if you work with projectiles, how many projectiles are allowed on the map and how fast do they travel?
how will the player be damaged? only by touch or do have some of the events ranged attacks as well?

i'll try to make an HUD using events, which is pretty easy and very customizable
bad idea unless you're using a very primitive ABS. All of the more complex ABS work by using their own data structure, replacing the engine defaults in a lot of places. And that means that they usually need a specific HUD with elements like what weapon or tool is active and so on.
So you'll usually have to adapt an existing HUD that was included with the ABS.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CardeMaker I will honestly suggest Moghunter's Chrono Plugin. I've tried the others and I found that one the easiest to get into.

Yes, it takes awhile to get into but it's not a complicated plugin. Make your project in Moghunter's folder, so you don't need to copy and paste everything into your own folder. Then change the graphics and go through the parameters and change what you need.

Yes, it's not in English but I usually go on the website and use a translator in my browser so it's in English. Everything is explained really well and you don't need to use everything in the plugin. That's the good thing about it, you can just use what you need.

There are only a few ABS plugins and no matter which one you choose you have to work for it. None of them will be ready for you once you add it. There are things you need to change in the parameters, graphics and more.

You can go another way and pay to have a custom plugin made.

CardeMaker

Just a creative guy
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
again, not enough info to even guess
How does the player attack if not by action button?
How do you set the weapon range, or can the weapon hit anything in that direction even on the other side of a worldmap if there are no obstacles in the way?
will the weapon have a strict line (missing events even one tile to the side) or a cone of effect?

Ok... now i'll try to make it easy, well, what i'm trying to do is make an ABS system that fits in the concept of my game, that is not too focused on battle, with no attack range, just attacking one tile in the front of the player, that why i'm not using a complex system like Moghunter's, and in my case i don't need new atributes other than default ones in RPGMV, i'm making it for an horror game, so there's no skills and no level, that's why i am looking for simple systems, and i already tried to make it using only RPGMV event commands, in my case, you should use the S key to attack, and i think that in most plugins you can customize it easy, but without plugin you have to create variables and conditional branches to detect the position of the events, and that's hard to use in a project that you're already using variables and common plugins for other stuff, i don't know anything about scripting so that's why i'm here looking for an easy ABS for MV, sorry for haven't being specific since the beginning, i did't thought that my case would be so specific

@CardeMaker I will honestly suggest Moghunter's Chrono Plugin. I've tried the others and I found that one the easiest to get into.
Yes, i know that Moghunter's ABS is amazing, but was also like, one of the main reasons for me to creating this topic, it is too complex and need a lot of plugins to work, i know it could be easy reading his topic (Even easier in my case, because it is written on my native language) but is difficult to make use of it on my project, that already have lots of plugins that can be incompatible to each other (like game crashing when you open Yanfly Doodads menu with SRD Window Upgrade runnin and other problems) but i also don't discard this idea because, well, that ABS is so awesome

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CardeMaker There aren't any ABS plugins that can do just the things you need.

As I mentioned, there are only few ones out there and the ones that I know of that should be able to do what you need is:
Moghunter's Chrono Plugin
Pheonix KageDesu's Alpha ABS Plugin
Quxios's QABS Plugin

I don't know much about the last two, but none of them are simple and they can do more than the things you want them to do.

So try to look at them and if they don't work for you, then the only way is do it by eventing or have a plugin made just for you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one of the main reasons for me to creating this topic, it is too complex
then you'll have to learn how to event what you want.

it takes months or in some cases even years to program an ABS-type plugin, and I know no one who bothered to do that work for a simple ABS that has no skill-effects and can be evented instead of using a plugin.

so your choices are simply between:
1) learn how to use a complex plugin even if it does things you don't need.
2) learn how to event an ABS-system without plugins, even if that requires learning how to use variables in a more complex way.
3) Pay someone to program a plugin like you want (which won't be cheap)
4) forget about implementing an ABS for your game and make that game with regular battles.

there is no other option available in such a case.

Last edited:

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What exactly is confusing about the variables? I mean, if the number of different variables is an issue, you can just store the HP of different enemies as an array inside 1 variable. As for conditional branches... well, you can basically set it up as 1 common event? Detecting the direction the player is facing is super easy and you just need 4 conditional branches for the 4 different directions.

I'd advise you to try and event a simple ABS yourself to see if you truly need a plugin and maybe ask for help with your specific implementation. It might give you a better idea of what exactly you want.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Does anyone know of NPC sprites for RMMZ? I know of Flirion's RMMV recolours, but RMMZ's sprites are slimmer and more detailed, so I'm a bit on the edge to use Flirion's im RMMZ...
I can't believe that after all those years, KH Union X Dark Road is closing the services.

Due to a situation in which I thought plugin adaptations had stopped for the QPlugins, I "ghetto" converted these 7 over yesterday. They appear to work perfectly as long as you use old style plugin commands. I am uncertain if I will have a lot of free time in the future to work on this, but if you'd like them, here they are.
Was there a thread that you could share a screenshot of your game? I feel like I found it once but can't locate it again.

I was being lazy and just copied a map to test a new parallax, but I forgot to delete all the events. This was the result. :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FeatherStone