What is the social status of the main protagonist in RPG games you think would an interest start point?

What is the main characters social status you like to see?

• Bottom of society

• Commoners

• Professional workers

• Aristocrats

• Rulers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with the silent majority of people here that you like the diverse background characters.

Would you want your protagonists to be:
  1. The bottom of society: homeless [now a natural feeling wonderer ], gang member, pr***itute, and thief, and slave[ now is a natural feeling, servent]
  2. Commoners: just an ordinary poor citizen
  3. Professional workers
  4. Aristocrats
  5. Rulers
Another question:
Would you like the main characters to mostly civilians or militaries in the fantasy and the science fiction senses.

My hypothesis would be the underdog effect would encourage people here to pick a lower class of society. Let see if my prediction is correct. However, I will predict that there is a small percent of people tried to be a contrarian. :kaopride:
Thank you for your participation.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT, thank you for your time and your optimistism. I would like to see if the view of people here are changing. Is the story of Jack and the giant still popular or the story of green Robert Hood still popular? Or the Tom and Jerry [Cat and Mouse] still popular for the game. Is the story of young heroes defeat the darklord is still popular in the rpg games?
It is kind of silly questions to ask people.:kaojoy:

Last edited:

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kupotepo My fav game does it's main male protagonist in one of the best ways ever done in gaming period. He is the son of one of the best space captains and admirals, and is an ensign under him - people look up to the protagonist expecting him to fill his father's shoes someday, but he is his own person and isn't at all thrilled with being in the shadow of such a Great. And so throughout his journey must find himself who he really wants to be, whether that is stepping up to power or not. So I maybe like the whole "related to someone with great power/influence, but wants to fulfill own destiny" types. His position in society directly influences his character arc. I like that, plus he's one of the most multi-faceted protagonists to date. (Star Ocean 2, Claude Kenny)

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT, wow, you are right and you are so insightful. I see that people like free will and idealistic characters than a destiny to do great things characters.:biggrin::rolleyes:

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tend to not mind Fire Emblem's typical approach to this. Majority of the time, the protagonists are rulers that have everything taken from them. They build their small army back up to retake their homeland while also beating the big baddie at the end of the day.

A hot take here is Sands of Destruction. Didn't get very good reception but here you're trying to destroy the world because in your perspective it's super messed up. Everyone knows you, you're always on the run, and some "good" guys join you. There have been some popular H mangas as of late that have taken this "world is messed up, screw everything, i'm taking revenge, i'm the villain, and the reader agrees with me cause i'm the victim" approach. I'm a fan of heroes fallen from grace.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just straight-up voted for everything, because I honestly feel like any social status or background can inform a great character. The important thing is that their background really does affect the way they think and act, rather than simply being a bullet point that is soon forgotten about.

Someone who grew up in slums in a caste society should be ignorant about the finer things in life, and should screw up social conventions when trying to rub shoulders with nobles. Aristocrats - even kind, chivalrous ones who want to do good for the poor - should be ignorant of what life on the edge is really like, and should have to fight against their intuition on how to solve a common man's problems.

This is not to say that the status or background should become the character - a character's personality and motivations are always more important - but the two sides of the character should mix and mingle in a rich way, creating a fully-rounded person who is often trying to separate what she's learned from what she believes in.

@PixeLockeT You may want to check out Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's the single best version of "Protagonist is in her father's shadow, but she's her own person" that I have ever seen.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the game theory of underdog: [David and Goliath] "The problem is that being powerful is often such a good bet that it actually pays not to invest in a little strategic empathy; it’s very costly if you think about it. It is the mismanagement of this tradeoff by the powerful that leaves open a small but dramatic widow for those who possess just the right blend of cunning and commitment to bring down their Goliath."

@Rayhaku808, you are knowledgeable and put into better words than me. Thank you. The empathy draws out from player to see as injustice or victim characters. I understand the risk of overdue as you warn me. The characters might appear as phony. Thank you for explaining for knowledgeable people here.

@Wavelength, thank you for enlightened me. Since you are bringing up an interesting idea, do you like the character that lawful or rebellious? If you wish to answer. Some people like conformity, but another like the character that is free spirit and social rebellious.

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Wavelength, thank you for enlightened me. Since you are bringing up an interesting idea, do you like the character that lawful or rebellious? If you wish to answer. Some people like conformity, but another like the character that is free spirit and social rebellious.
I prefer lawful characters, personally. I like characters who respect institutions (and make smaller moves within them) rather than just wanting to blow everything up. That's just a personal preference though - some of the greatest characters ever written are chaotic/rebellious.

I've been told by two different people that I'm the biggest Tywin Lannister stan they've ever met.

Pearsona

Trash Goblin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any one of these archetypes can be done well in the hands of the right person. However, I personally prefer commoners/lower class backstories for characters. It's far more interesting to watch someone start at the bottom and climb to the role of the hero.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Pearsona, thank you for sharing your experience with me. I think of me as the most terrible writer. XD

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with majority of the people, any role is fine as long as the character is well written, but imo, the commoner and the royal positions aren't bad but are overused. You don't see a lot of Main characters somewhere in the middle or in specific part of the system, such as a farmer or a apothecary for common folk or someone in a specific branch like a general in war, a court mage maybe, or a baron.
Idk, that's my take on it

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1) and 3) for me, that doesn't mean others can't be done well (it's just that I have yet to see one executed well in a realistic way), but this is simply I prefer more realistic protagonists that either needs to put it a lot of work (bottom of society) or are professionals that earned their reputation, and are not naturally gifted by being the chosen one or spoiled by royalty.

Last edited:

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've done 1 and 3 simultaneously (broke noble). In general I prefer more grounded rpgs, so I lean toward 1 and 2. Being broke is a decent starting motivation for the plot which can snowball into other things over time. It's not that I want the underdog to save the world, persay (not fond of save the world plots, to each their own), high titles just funnel things in too much.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I like commoners myself, I'm pretty lenient on aristocrats. Final Fantasy Tactics wouldn't have been the same if Ramza and Delita's social heirarchies were flipped. Adventurers I come up with tend to be commoner-level freelancers, doing adventures as personal quests or odd jobs. Often both.

EDIT: Also @ItsAri, interesting you mention apothecaries. In a technical sense, my main character for A Lion in Scarlet is a skilled worker. She's got a job as an apothecary herself! Partly, this is to explain why there might be a potion-crafting mechanic (if I include it), but it's also to convey part of her self-sufficient skill set. Also to draw parallels to one bit of inspiration, Kiki's Delivery Service, as being a fish-out-of-water trying to make a practical living, in spite of her special powers. ;)

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ItsAri, thank you for your input.
@CraneSoft, thank you for your thoughtfulness

What does everyone here think? How much society suppressed the main true characters' personalities? [Persona 4 themes lol] I ponder how much social status translates to authority and power in the fantasy world. I meant in terms of how much power of heroes in the society to just defeat the antagonists. [If anyone is not busy, it is interesting to think]

@Htlaets, thank you for your inputs.
I agree with your wisdom. Every time, the devs moved up the social status, the destruction and scope increases. The characters have more resources for violence.

@RachelTheSeeker, thank you for your support and your help.
Hahaha, my prediction is coming true.
This subconscious for the player such as Final Fantasy Tactic around the social class, but I think the devs think about it. But do not want to say it. Do you think it so? If you wished to answer, please. It just fascinated for me.

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I like all roles for the most part, I very slightly lean toward both rulers and bottom of society characters that are atypical of their social status, so a princess who cusses and burps, or a social outcast who carries themselves with dignity in spite of how they're treated. A touch of chaos over lawfulness is far more interesting to me compared to what class they were born into, though.

QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with those above who say that they don't inherently prefer one "social status" over another. A great RPG where you play as a prince can be just as good as one where you play as a homeless guy. What matters is how well the character is written.

I think what is more significant is whether or not your protagonist is, as in most RPGs, placed in a "hero" role where they are somehow "special" and eventually progress far beyond the other inhabitants of the world. I have a soft spot for the sub-genre of RPGs (or roguelikes) that disregard that norm and instead put the player in the role of a non-heroic civilian, on equal or similar footing to everyone else in the world. A good example would be "Kenshi," where you are basically just a faceless character in the world no different from the NPCs at the start. To the extent you become "special" in a game like that, it is only through your own actions during gameplay, as opposed to being forced into the role of the prophesized Hero of Light or something. I think more could be done with that concept in more RPGs.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aesica, thank you for taking a survey and always try to help me.
A touch of chaos over lawfulness is far more interesting to me compared to what class they were born into, though.
It is just a starting point. That is what I want to see.

@QuietPenguin, thank you for your information and for taking a survey.

eventually progress far beyond the other inhabitants of the world. I have a soft spot for the sub-genre of RPGs (or roguelikes)
That is what I like to know more from you.

To the extent you become "special" in a game like that, it is only through your own actions during gameplay, as opposed to being forced into the role of the prophesized Hero of Light or something. I think more could be done with that concept in more RPGs.
That is funny, but it is true.

Last edited:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I voted for Commoner. I would like to see the "Hero's Adventure" from a Commoner's Perspective in Games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON