Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, if I put it in the wrong section. I debate with myself over this to put in the general discussion or general lounge.

I think people already ask in the general: What counts as insults or extreme dialogue, and in what context?, but I would like to ask about the specific words.:kaojoy:

A list of Words in dialogues/actions: [How to do you feel ?]
1. Genocide
When the character talks about the genocide of his/her people.
2. Rape
A character remembers about her mother gets a rape during the past war. The character thinks back about why did the enemies have no mercy for civilians.
3. Deep State
Character 1: Do you think a temple of darkness is a deep state in the city of 12345?
Character 2: I do not know, but the temple sure has an influence on the city government.
4. Inequality
Noble A: We need some inequality of wealth. I am a protector, and a farmer is a producer. You are a spiritual scholar.
Noble B: That is true that we are work really hard to preserve all this wealth. The peasants seem not to thank us for all we did.
5. Ground zero

A character explores a ruin and thinks back about this site used to be a ground zero of a bombing.
6.Elite
Foot soldier A: What do you think? Are great houses forcing to be their heroes?
Foot soldier B: Yeah! They are so elitists. They are not here at the battlefield to see how many of us are dying for their stupid piece of land.
7. Mob
A student: Teacher, I have a question! Why did our kingdom allow the mob to rule? The people looked like they were happy.
A scholar: Ah! They were happy until the passion split and the mob destructed themselves with more rivalry.
8. Year zero
Traveler A: Do you hear about a new revolutionary state? The new government enacted a year zero.
Traveler B: That is interesting...a fresh start for it, but for not the world.
9. traitor
A general accused of the main character of being a traitor.
10. Witch Hunt
A troop reported the progress of a witch hunt to a commander, but the witch is his frenemy.
11. Corruption/Corrupted
A corrupt guard tried to extort money from the main character.
12. Tyrant
The main character views a cruel and murderous ruler as a tyrant.
13. privilege
Peasants talk about how much privilege nobility has and how much the nobles do not care about their wellbeing.
14. Grassroot
A character remembers his/her past about being a part of a grassroot activity.
15. Fishing Expedition
A general asks a spy about a fishing expedition of the enemy.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here.

Do you want to know if any of those words cause me distress, or do you want to know if they'd cause people I don't know distress?

None of those words trigger anything in me on their own. They're just words. Without something to apply them to, they're largely meaningless.

I have no idea if others have any sort of attachment to these words, and how they'd react when seeing or hearing them.

Last edited:

gambitben

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, in a vacuum as they are here they don't tell me much, as @The Stranger said. Most of them can have a political meaning and some moral, but right now they are just words in a list, waiting for the reader to infuse them with meaning. Unless you want to ask us what's the first thing we think of after reading them, as in a psychological test, I'm afraid you won't get much more out of it than this :rswt

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@gambitben, ok, I will try to give an example, but I cannot go to specify because I will surely break the forum rule. I will give a generic example.

@Shaz, wait I am writing. lol, but yes it is a plot and an emotional trigger. I believe that the character has a personal opinion to have a soul base on their personality and mindset. But, yes, if the characters talk about the controversy, I have to put a gag order to them, but again the characters like talk just like us about things that affect them. I agree with you if I go too far; the drama of characters that can be annoying to players. I am conflicted on this issue.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your game uses these words to state that something happened, I don't think it would be an issue. But if it uses them to express a personal opinion that your players might not share, it could be problematic for some people.

For example, a character referencing a rape that happened in the past is quite different to your PC or NPC talking about committing the act (or intending to) themselves. The emotions generated in the player for each example would be very different.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz, I am finish editing and deleting.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are just words and descriptions. I have no reaction to them. I don't consider any of them to be insults or extreme dialogue.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz, thank you for your response and clarifications. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As others have said, without context your list does not evoke emotion. Without knowing the motivation for saying some things, it is impossible to predict how they might be perceived. Also, you have no way of knowing if a particular reaction described here (if there is one) is one which is widely shared or not. All you know is that one person thinks X. That person may, in fact, be highly representative and so 70% of the population think X, or not and only 1.3% of the population think it. I don't think this is going to tell you anything useful.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes, thank you for your thought. My motivation is to invoke emotion [sad, happiness, love and hate]. Yeah, I can let players play the game and ask them about how they feel would be more appropriate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol
I didn't think I'd spend the evening jamming out to the battle theme of a Hole Punch.
Welcome back to the dark era, where everything is in dark mode!
I'm not complaining! :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON