NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Going to show my age a bit. Phantasy Star 1. The one on the Sega Master System. First played that back in 1989 when I was only 6 years of age. It was the game that got me hooked on RPGs.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Part-Time Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well there's plenty.

Old ps1 era top 3:
Suikoden 2
I guess I'm just nostalgic here but I loved a lot of characters and things in this game. Recruiting 108 allies and making them join your cause, fix your castle and help winning a war against a tyrant, made the whole experience unforgettable.

Wild Arms
Has triple setting of wild west/fantasy/sci-fi perfectly blended together, and it's both kinda original, but also has all the basic features that every solid jrpg should have.

Xenogears
Fantastic plot and huge robots mostly.
Not a game for everyone, but for those that like it, it's nothing less than a masterpiece.

I also like FF Tactics, VI, X, Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade: Chronicles, Legend of Mana, Legend of Legaia, heck even Legend of Dragoon was fun despite the cliches...
Theres' a lot of good stuff out there tbh, or maybe it's just me liking everything that has a story and it's fun to play, lol.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this question depends a lot on what you are looking for in an RPG. Checking any top 10 list for the SNES, PS1, PS2, etc. will give you a pretty good idea of the goldie oldies of RPGs.

I really enjoy the Star Ocean franchise. They give lots of incentive to explore everything and craft things, and most of them have a good story. My favorite probably being Star Ocean 2.

FF Tactics is always fun to play through. There are some other pretty decent tactics type RPGs out there like the Disgaia sereies, I really like Disgaia 5 - loads of things to do in that game.

The new Trials of Mana remake is pretty good and fast paced. DOS2 is a great game. Witcher 3 is one of the best RPGs in the last 10 years fo sho. Mass Effect series is pretty good, except for Andromeda - just don't even bother with that dumpster fire. The Tales of series have some gems, my favorite is probably the Tales of Vesperia DE.

If you're looking for realism, then Kingdom Come Deliverance is pretty cool. As for 1st person games, Skyrim and FO4 are both awesome and you can easily spend 100s of hours playing those games with mods if you want a new experience or new content. Skyrim especially has a lot really good mods that add completely new storylines to the game.

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Daggerfall. I wish rpg simulations were more common.
Final Fantasy 9
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Romance of the three Kingdoms 8
Fallout: New Vegas

Cant pick one xD

Last edited:

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Xenogears. Though to be honest I probably couldn’t play the game now lol.

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Star Ocean:Til the End of Time (PS2)
Final Fantasy X Remastered(PS4)
The Last Story(Wii)
Xenoblade Chronicles(Wii)

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've played and witness many form of RPG.
So far in my top list is still Elona (desktop PC).
Even though I never been able to finish it, it's been my favorite since the first time I played it decade ago.
The game is never ending and is still updating new content.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like Chrono Trigger a LOT and also, in a different way, Paper Mario. They are completely different opposites, but I still like them both.

Two of my favourite RPG's.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 7:Crisis Core! :)
Oh yes Crisis Core is unbelievable good! The story is exciting, not many filler quests or points when you don't know how to proceed and a nice battle system.

PitjePitjePitje

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll add a 'recent' one: I got positively lost in Octopath Traveler's battle system (in the best way). The combat felt fluid, and stayed fun for the entire duration of the game, even if the stories of the 8 travelers themselves felt very trope-y. (Also, the music is great, and the visual aesthetic of the game just works IMO).

BENI_MARU

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Breath of Fire 4 had such wonderfully unique characters and story, I recommend it to everyone I can!

worshipme

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lunar: silver star story
lunar 2: eternal blue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Okay someone really needs to fix that broken railing, its a health hazard...

I'm starting to wonder if I should go the Half Minute Hero route with my game. The character's main weapon is logistically way too strong. So I can't really let the player continuously grow it.... But if they had to build it up each time like HMH, that could work. Also it lets me take advantage of my randomly generated maps so much more. Hmm... This could work! :LZSexcite:
std::vector, std::map and std::string. Three reasons why I'd take C++ over C. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xericho