What is your favorite RPG maker and why?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Monkeysnow55 The Cookie, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Monkeysnow55 The Cookie

Monkeysnow55 The Cookie Cookie Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Cookie
    Like XP, VX, Ace, maybe some of the old ones? 2003, 200? Do you like all of them equally? What one is your favorite? Is it your favorite because it has better graphics? Or cause all the maps are on different places? Why?

I couldn't find where to post this so I put it in General Lounge. 

graithallerne likes this.
  2. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've only used vx and ace... and sense ace is essentially vx on steroids I'd have to go with Ace (though I prefer xps default graphics style, but I don't use the default graphics style.)

Clareain_Christopher likes this.
  3. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

Moved to Product/Utility Discussion.

General lounge is for things that are not related to game development. :)

cybrim likes this.
  4. T.Bit

T.Bit Labyrinth Explorer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There's pros and cons to all three (XP, VX, Ace). I have Ace and use it. I find the mapping and eventing the easiest to use out of all three. The default graphics are also the most to my liking as well.

5. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Obviously the VX ACE, since it's clearly the most powerful and versatile one, plus I like the short (but not so short) sprites.

Susan likes this.
  6. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I like Ace the most, xp makes a close second though.

7. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I loved XP because of multiple layers :3 I'm hoping for some kind of XP/VX hybrid though, that would be OwO

8. Hailren

Hailren Title Screen Master. Rpg Maker Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love alot about Vx Ace but I just wish that they could combine all the things we all love about Xp, VX, and ACE and maybe add some Way to port to other platforms like in IG Maker.

9. MiracleMare

MiracleMare Equi-maniac Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've only used Ace but I LOVE the look of the XP rtp. I have a feeling if I used XP I'd be swiftly in love lol.

10. Clareain_Christopher

Clareain_Christopher C_C Media Ninja Veteran

Ace.

11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, I own Ace, XP and the first Playstation one.

The PS version was fun, but for a lot of things it felt like going the long way around to get to everything because of how they'd divided everything up into sections. This was especially true with mapping since you couldn't splice the sheets together to get what you wanted. No using that awesome sci-fi thing in your outdoor map. The coolest stuff was always only in the pre-built maps anyway. Since it was on a console text entry took forever.

I loooooooved the art style for XP, but trying to work in it always felt strange and disconnected to me. I really don't know why. I haven't tried to make a game in this so I don't know much about it. I like the look of the fights a lot better in XP than Ace.

Of the three I prefer Ace. I will hate the square corners of auto-tiling and the lack of choice in layering forever, but I do love how they've set up the tile sets and I find it a little easier to find what I want to change and to change it than I do in XP. This may change if I ever try to actually do something with XP and learn to use it.

12. BladesOfGlory

BladesOfGlory Lord of Cheese Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ace is definitely the one for me.

I also used to have the old Playstation version. It was super complicated because of all those menus you have to go through. You couldn't create your own custom tiles and you had to use whatever resources the system offered to you. The music was "Blech" and the battle system was really tedious. I felt they could have done more even for the technology of that time. It was still interesting, but I prefer something that offers a lot more flexibility than that.

cybrim likes this.
  13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I have tried XP,VX, and Ace...

I only bought Ace (got VX via the Christmas events)... XP I might get it when I get extra money becoz it's still nice to use...

as for VX, unless you already have it, or unless you want to be able to use resources that needs VX to be used in any other maker (like Cel's tiles), I don't really suggest getting it... because Ace does what it does + a whole lot of extras that is more than worth the price difference... though getting it to use Cel's tiles is really worth it... :)

and anyway, I believe there was already a thread of comparison... just search for it...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  14. Vassim74

Vassim74 It's a Secret! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't really have a prefered Maker since I like both Ace and XP equally (I don't count VX because I consider it as a part of Ace). While I like the fact that Ace is easier to use and it already has some pretty advanced features built-in, I like the mapping tool from XP. Being able to use 3 layers allowed me to make some really complex maps way back when. It's not to say I can't make complex maps with Ace, but it's a lot longer now because I have to actually construct overlapping things like a rope over a window with event blocks.

15. Ayase Haruka

Ayase Haruka Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I've used XP... then I used VX... then I used ACE.

Ace was the best cuz I've found the offline version of the installer! ROCKS!!! :rock-left: :rock-right:

16. Cozzer

Cozzer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    XP has its good points, but Ace wins in the end.

17. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    XP for me, I made too many games with it not to acknowledge how much I love it.

I like Ace a lot, too. VX never quite did it for me though.

18. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    VX Ace overall for sure

However I'm not a big fan of the RTP tilesets in Ace,but that's easily remedied.

I tried out XP, and I hated it, it felt so awekward to use.

I loved the original RPG maker, but it definitely can't compete with Ace. Besided the fact you can import your own stuff, I can so agree when compared to all the other RPG makers, it felt like doing things the long way(especially with the map editor. with the exception of some minor efficiency fixes, the event command layout was great even back then).

There is one thing I loved, "loved" about the original RPG Maker, that sadly no other RPG maker does right. I'm talking about the switch options interface ofcourse. There's like 6 blank spots on a event page in the original RPG Maker(if I recall), and you know what, you can set whatever type of switch you dayum well please in it. None of this, you can only turn on two numbered switches, ect.

You want a page to require 6 individual switch(maybe various items, perhaps switched that were tied to previous events, you want there to be cerian char in party, you can do it). Also there seems to be a couple of system disable options that I don't see in Ace, how could they leave out Disable magic command(looks like I'm gonna have to search for a script for that).

However yea aside from the whole switch layout, and a few options that shouldn't have been left out, yea Ace is definitely the way to go, and the best RPG Maker overall.

19. MagicMagor

MagicMagor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I really loved the XP when it came out. Higher resolution and RGSS were really great.

The VX i skipped. I was interesseted at first, but when i found out the limitation of 5 tilesets i lost interesset. I mean in the XP you have 50 tilesets in the RTP alone and every tileset can basicly have as much tiles as you want - how does limiting yourself to 5 tileset sounds then?

ACE again i bought, pretty soon after founding out about it and trying the trial. The rtp-style is different from XP (less detail, more blocky) and the layer-system is downgraded. That are the only two drawbacks i can see when i moved to ACE. However i'm not that much a graphics-person and the maps i can accomplish with the ACE are good enough for me.

However the improved database (Features, custom formulas for skills etc..) and the vastly improved RGSS are the main selling points for me. Especially the last, not only because i am a scripter but also because i found this huge amount of great scripts already developed for ACE when i found out about it.

There are obviously also a lot of scripts for XP being written over the time, but in the beginning of the XP-era little thought was put in scripts being compatible with each other. Also the layout of RGSS1 made it more difficult to write compatible scripts than RGSS3. So custom scripts from other scripters were never really an option for me in XP - this may have changed but i left the scene after a while.