What is your favorite scientific theory?

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll start this off buy saying that I have four favorite theories and one of these recently blew my mind away.

1.)  The Big Bang Theory : The universe is expanding from a center point where all the matter in the universe came into existence.

2.) The Multiverse Theory : Two or more bubble universes that coexist, or two universes that collide into each other to spawn another universe.

3.) Holographic Universe Theory : This theory states that we are living inside a computer simulation. If a future race of Humans want to learn about their past species history, they would use their enormous computer technology to simulate their evolution, history, and culture to observe how Humanity came to be. 

There is a problem in quantum physics where particles cannot be determined until directly observed; if a house collapses and no one or nothing is there to observe it, then the simulation would not have anything to simulate; instead the collapsed house would come into existence when directly observed.

This theory is currently being tested right now at the University of Washington where physicists are using quantum physics to test the boundaries of the simulation by searching for pixels that are a billion billion times smaller than a proton. 

If we occupy three dimensional space and time is the fourth dimension then the dimensions are made of something. Scientists have concluded that if the universe is a hologram, we were printed on the fabrics of space-time and the pixels doing the printing might be detectable.

(Mind has officially exploded into colorful pixels the size of a protons)...

4.) The Fusion Theory : (This theory involves the three theories mentioned above) The Big Bang spawned a universe that expanded into a multiverse, both which were created inside a computer simulation or matrix which was created sometime after a non-simulated big bang.

(I made number four up...)

What is your favorite scientific theory  and what do you think of my favorite theories? 

Multiverse.jpg

Dragonspeech

Lady Dragoness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would like to add a layer of quantum physics from an amateur's most basic perspective if I may? 

I think, quite honestly, there isn't a time where there are particles are not under supervision. It is the *viewer that may or may not be aware of the viewing or there are others about affecting the view. The viewer is a variable - you or me or someone else entirely. That this applies to those particles at their level. If case - then how am I in existence? The case of the viewer not aware of the viewing, which expands into quantum thought. Thoughts or the consciousness are the spaces between the particles, which then has allowed the basis of atoms to be built, in turn comprise the elements, in turn and ultimately have life created through the big bang or however you want to use another theory. Because of their nature - it can support quite a few different theories: multiverse, string or others. (This comes from a tired brain left to its own devices to ponder the meaning of life among other things.)

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All theories are welcome.

Compacting my thoughts into a spoiler.

Also take a look at this:

JAMES GATES

What this guy found is that the nature, does error correction equations and mind blowing stuff.

So, if we add this, to our everyday's perception... of φ = 1.6180 (approximately) and how does this golden ratio is applied  around us, for instance on flowers, on shells, embryos, human analogies, galaxies, a whirlpool.... you know... everywhere... you can say that there is a very complex pattern. A very complex one, but a pattern...

Ok! I am really influenced by π  (pi=3.14) now. Not the number... the movie...

A MUST WATCH < If you like science and thrillers.

Actually our brain is programmed to find patterns.

It is primitive for our survival, and fundamental for our perception and understanding.

Whatever.

I enjoy any theory given in a non ridiculous base.

I hate conspiracy theories that have no base or are mystic and stuff.

Include religions in a huge part.

I yet have to admit I respect religions.

It's just that I don't fit in any of them.

This will get out of the topic though.

So... I enjoy all theories even the ones with minimum base evidence.

I hate theories with no evidence at all.

A theoretical model is considered evidence here. It doesn't prove anything. It still counts as evidence that there MIGHT something work in a certain way.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
How about the experiment run by the Stanford Engineering school, where people were shown consistently to be able to move a water bubbler, without touching it?  Not visibly but there was a clear statistical deviation from the norm, in the direction "focused on" by the testers, as recorded by a high speed computer monitoring where the water fell.

And how sealed random number generators around the world suddenly started showing random number sequences 2 or 3 standard deviations from the norm, when significant world events like the OJ Simpson verdict or 9/11 happened.  Interestingly, it wasn't when the event happened but when news of the event spread.

Or, how people who were shown images which were randomly picked by a computer, their palms consistently sweated a half second before the very unsettling images appeared, as measured by galvanic skin response.  The subjects weren't even aware anything had changed.

By themselves, they don't prove anything, but something fascinating is going on here.

Red-Pill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I definitely like the multiverse theory the most. Just think all those anime and manga and books and movies and tv shows and comics...you get the gist, could be a glimpse into a universe our there and the creators are just people that pick up some sort of transmission from them. 

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally love the idea of time dilation that states that time flows differently depending on how close you are to a centre of mass. A common example is two twins, one of which goes into space and another stays on Earth. The one that goes into space might only spend 1 year there, but when they come back to Earth, they realise that a lot more than just 1 year has passed there and their twin is now older than them.

Another one that I like, and it's probably not so much a theory, but it's great food for thought, is the Drake Equation, which takes into account numerous factors that help to estimate the possibility of alien life out there in the universe.

Here it is in case anyone is interested to know more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlikCebQSlY

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I personally love the idea of time dilation that states that time flows differently depending on how close you are to a centre of mass. A common example is two twins, one of which goes into space and another stays on Earth. The one that goes into space might only spend 1 year there, but when they come back to Earth, they realise that a lot more than just 1 year has passed there and their twin is now older than them.
Time dilation also impacts our daily lives.  The GPS navigation system must account for the very small amount of time dilation which happens as the GPS signals descend into Earth's gravitational well.  If it didn't the system would produce very inaccurate results.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"[SIZE=13.63636302948px]And if the [/SIZE][SIZE=13.63636302948px]Multiverse theory is true, doesn't this mean that there is a universe where the [/SIZE][SIZE=13.63636302948px]Multiverse theory isn't true?"[/SIZE]

@Pencilcase27 I like your thoughts on this.  :D

Here are mine:

Multiverse theory talks about infinite universes.

There CAN be a parallel universe that Hawkings is not as smart as the journalist.

There might not be such a parallel universe like that though.

There is a major difference between a possibility and a fact.

So IF and ONLY IF there are infinite parallel universe planes of existence,  that means that the multiverse theory is always true for all of them. Thus there is no parallel universe that the parallel universe theory is not true, just because if this theory is true, it is automatically true for all the universes, otherwise it is false for all universes, infinite, or finite.

But even if there can be infinite universes that something might not apply at any of them, still these will be infinite in number.

There might be for instance infinite universes that Hawkins will be always smarter than the journalist.

There is no dumber Hawkings, but still there are infinite universes.

But also there COULD be one universe that Hawkings is dumber. 

What you said is a nice thought, but keep in mind that nothing forces a [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Multiverse theory to include such a paradox, in order to be valid. [/SIZE]

Having a parallel universe that the Multiverse Theory is false? Nah! :D

[SIZE=13.63636302948px] ;) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Just my thoughts.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

PencilCase27

So, I can write anything I want here... right?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hm, I just read the Wiki entry about Multiverse... There are actually many different theorys about what this "Multiverse" is. For example Brian Greene's 8th type (Simulated) says:

"The simulated universe exists on complex computer systems that simulate entire universes."

Using this theory we could just set

@multiverse_theory = falsefor one universe and we're done :p

But that's cheating, isn't it?^^

Nuclear Mosquito

Now what are you going to do?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The parallel universe Theory : D! 
I have a very cool idea that combines the parallel universe theory and RPG maker, so I'll be in touch. (Currently doing control systems work)

Also I feel that we're at the point for an entire Parallel Universe Thread based on the reaction it's gained here XD Please just post a link here if someone makes such a thread.

EDIT:

Update 1: Working on getting the permissions for that idea of mine. I hope I'll be allowed to do it :beard:

Dragonspeech

Lady Dragoness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First to get out of the way -  Kaelan , that was a terrific and beautiful youtube of Neil deGrasse Tyson. (I really love him, especially since doing the remake of Cosmos from Carl Sagan <3 ) 

Secondly because inspired by the first - Alien theories. I think with everything out there and even from our own planet. Don't think that necessarily life is built the way it is here. Alternative biochemistry for life. For instance Silicon, possibility for a higher concentration of non-green photosynthesizing. plants. A wiki has some information on this: They are highly hypothetical not theories yet, but with all the recent hubbub and such... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Avery's Advent Calendar Day event has put me in a jolly mood, so I dug through my folders finished up some old generator pieces. Check my Fantasy Generator Expansion -Dwarfs! To see what I dropped.
Anyone else here think that closets are claustrophobic?
People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narwhalkyrie